The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Venus, CO2+H2SO4+Bacteria+Nanomachines= O2+H2O+C+S  (Read 7600 times)

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
What do you think? If we make GM bacteria and or nanomachines we could spray it into Venus upper atmosphere, ones that turn sulfuric acid into water and sulfer and carbon dioxide into oxygen and carbon ash. Interesting?

This would make Venus cool down. And create lakes and a carbon rich soil, but also sulfer ash ridden soil. Still good for GM plants.

Titanscape

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Venus, CO2+H2SO4+Bacteria+Nanomachines= O2+H2O+C+S
« Reply #1 on: 14/02/2006 14:38:08 »
..............huh?..................

- Big T

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
« Reply #2 on: 17/02/2006 05:17:14 »
How is that going to make Venus cool enough to support Earth life? Without the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, I could see it becoming slightly cooler, due to the decreased greenhouse effect, but it wouldn't be anything like Earth. It's atmosphere would still be much thicker than Earth's, and it would still recieve more solar radiation than Earth.

Mars is a better candidate for terraforming, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: 17/02/2006 05:18:11 by Supercryptid »

Offline Mystericon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/02/2006 16:15:46 »
Well, the landscape and atmosphere certainly could sustain life if that was ever possible, perhaps not us, we may well drown/suffocate in the abundance/lack of the oxygen. Thats the thing about Earth, it's atmosphere is just right. But we could have at least pathed the way for new life to develop. Though it would take millions of years, and by the time intelligent life appeared, Venus would most likely have been engulfed by the Red Giant stage of our sun, in which case everything on Venus' surface will have vapourised...

But anyway, we need to wait for the GM bacteria/nanomachines to be developed yet... :)

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 17/02/2006 21:25:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mystericon

Well, the landscape and atmosphere certainly could sustain life if that was ever possible, perhaps not us, we may well drown/suffocate in the abundance/lack of the oxygen. Thats the thing about Earth, it's atmosphere is just right. But we could have at least pathed the way for new life to develop. Though it would take millions of years, and by the time intelligent life appeared, Venus would most likely have been engulfed by the Red Giant stage of our sun, in which case everything on Venus' surface will have vapourised...

But anyway, we need to wait for the GM bacteria/nanomachines to be developed yet... :)

I was going to answer you question, but realised that the answer brings another interesting question.

One of the things I remember reading about long ago (I think it was a Scientific American article, but many years ago) is that was that the ration of oxygen to CO2 is determined because if their was any more O2 in the atmosphere, it would trigger higher levels of combustion, that would use up the excess O2 and convert it back to CO2.  Thus, so long as photosynthesis were trying to convert as much CO2 as possible to O2, and fire was trying to convert it back again, then there would be a natural balance between the two.

If one takes this to its natural conclusion, then it follows that the warmer climate of Venus (even in the absence of any greenhouse effect, simply because of its proximity to the Sun) would tend to make combustion more likely, and thus would keep O2 levels much lower.

If this were the case, it would also have an implication for the Earth's CO2/O2 mix.  There has been a natural warming cycle, caused at least in part by increased solar output, since the middle of the 17th century.  If one follows the argument I have suggested above, then one would expect a natural increase in CO2 even if humans played no part in it.  It may even be argued that, even though humans clearly are creating much of the CO2, they may not be altering the natural balance, since it is possible that if humans did not consume that free oxygen, then natural fires would have done the job anyway.

We do know that there were periods of time if the geological past when the Earth's temperature was higher, and CO2 levels were up to 5 times higher than they are now; which would again be consistent with the above argument.

George.

Offline Mystericon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20/02/2006 23:36:41 »
Sweet, thats good to know, thanks for the info :)

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/02/2006 02:12:14 »
Yes I suppose there would be a combustion conversion balance of O2 and CO2, and minerals would burn too.

Titanscape

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 21/02/2006 02:12:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums