The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do head lice prefer dirty or clean hair?  (Read 5806 times)

adam

Do head lice prefer dirty or clean hair?
« on: 23/11/2010 09:30:03 »
adam asked the Naked Scientists:

Do head lice like dirty or clean hair more?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 23/11/2010 09:30:03 by _system »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 29/11/2010 22:42:54 »
To quote from the above reference (citing the work of Prof. Rick Speare, James Cook University, Townsville):

Professor Rick Speare has spent many years researching these pesky little critters and he says there's no evidence to support the theory that head lice prefer to live in clean hair, nor is there research to suggest lice prefer dirty hair.

The underlying message, which is supported by evidence, is that "head lice occur in hair clean or dirty," Speare says.

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/12/2010 15:26:07 »
We discussed this question on our  show
 Diana -  The NHS claims that actually, yeah head lice do prefer clean hair, but we were talking about it earlier and from an evolutionary perspective, it seems to make much more sense that lice might have developed and evolved with humans before they'd invented shampoo. So I think its just as likely that they like dirty hair and I'm sure there are lots of people with filthy hair that have lice in their hair as well.
Dave -  Unless of course were secreting something which kind of slows them down or makes it harder for their eggs to stick to hair or something. I don't know anything about this, but human hair oils might actually be quite good at slowing down head lice.
Chris -  And your argument would be, if you wash the hair with shampoo, you actually wash away that natural protective effect and the consequence of that would be that the nit would find it easier to infest you.
Dave -  Yeah.
Chris -  In other words, if you've got clean hair.
Dave -  And purely because weve been living with them for so long, it would make sense weve evolved in some way of discouraging them.
Diana -  Its quite possible.
Click to visit the show page for the podcast in which this question is answered. Alternatively, listen to the answer now or [download as MP3]
« Last Edit: 10/12/2010 15:26:07 by _system »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #4 on: 01/12/2010 12:15:31 »
I think they are only concerned with a good blood flow, cleanliness is not an issue for them.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 01/12/2010 12:15:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums