The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do soaps and shampoos differ?  (Read 13839 times)

Josva Dammann Kvilstad

How do soaps and shampoos differ?
« on: 23/11/2010 10:30:04 »
Josva Dammann Kvilstad asked the Naked Scientists:

What is the difference between regular hand soap, shampoo, balsam and shower gel? And how much good can shampoo actually do for your hair?

Shampoo commercials here in Norway, and i guess in GB as well, advertise that the shampoos contain different vitamins and opens and closes the hair shells etc. How much of this is actually relevant, and how much is BS?

Thanks again,
Josva

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 23/11/2010 10:30:04 by _system »

Offline greatcecil

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10/09/2011 22:44:24 »
They don't differ a great deal. There's a difference between bar soaps and liquid soaps - the alkali used to saponify the oils (oil/fat is the major ingredient of soap). With bars soap the alkali is sodium hydroxide. With liquid soaps, it's potassium hydroxide.
In terms of cleanliness shampoo & liquid soap are basically the same thing. All the other ingredients added will affect the feel of it, the type of lather, the smell and a bunch of other little things (that, depending on the user, can make all the difference for what they want out of it), but for the most part the advertising is pretty much a giant sham.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/09/2011 22:51:58 »
Many shampoos will have some kind of conditioners or detanglers that you wouldn't ordinarily have in your bar soap.  It has been a while since I've washed my hair with bar soap, but I believe that after a few days it becomes quite apparent that the shampoo gives a softer, more manageable feeling to the hair.  The bar soap gives a harsher, less manageable feeling to the hair.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/09/2011 07:17:04 »

how much is BS?

Er, probably most of it. I'm sure someone will prove me wrong, but once your hair emerges from your scalp, it's all over. By then, it's essentially dead, caput, mort, finito, so vitamins ain't going to help much.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 11/09/2011 07:17:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length