The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does conservation of angular momentum apply to electrons orbiting atoms?  (Read 9153 times)

Offline jartza

• View Profile
Hey now I know. Elliptically polarized photon, where the ellipse is very long and thin is about the same as linearly polarized photon!

I see, Wikipedia says the same. Well I invented it anyway.

So ... there are no non-polarized photons.

Offline jartza

• View Profile
So, on the left we see linearly polarized light.
On the right we see circularly polarized light, I guess?
(both lights are made of two photons)

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I would personally drop the term photon, since properly describing a beam of light in terms of photons is a complicated process, but the basic idea is right: a linearly polarized beam of light can be thought of as the addition of a left-hand circularly polarized and a right-hand circularly polarized beam.  Similarly, a circularly polarized beam of light can be thought of as the addition of two linearly polarized beams (in this case you have to add phase to one beam, which basically means you shift it by 1/4 wavelength with respect to the other beam.

Offline jartza

• View Profile
Actually photons have 'spin', other name for this 'spin' could be 'elliptical polarization'

So, some photons have very elongated spin, some have quite round spin.

This is how light that is made of one photon can be polarized in all the same ways that light made of two photons can be polarized.

Now doesn't this just sound very very much wrong:
So, some photons have very elongated spin, some have quite round spin.

Well, anyway, photons have spins with different elongations pointing at different directions.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length