The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it possible to grow old without going grey?  (Read 5749 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Is it possible to grow old without going grey?
« on: 24/11/2010 07:35:41 »
Aside from going bald or dying ones hair, is it possible or has there ever been a case of a very old person retaining his youthful hair color without altering it or going bald etc..?
« Last Edit: 11/12/2010 11:02:38 by chris »

SteveFish

Re: Is it possible to grow old without going grey?
« Reply #1 on: 24/11/2010 16:35:59 »
This is a difficult question to answer because of many folks who, wishing to appear younger than they are, will dye their head hair (e.g. Ronald Reagan) for appearance sake.

From my own experience, my father was mostly gray shortly after 30 years, while my maternal grandmother had her very dark hair, with only a scattering of gray, when she died at 70 years.

So, you ask if retaining hair color with age is possible, and I think it is. But nobody yet knows how to make it happen. Do you think that if a simple solution to graying and baldness were developed, that everybody would retain their hair and hair color until they die?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/11/2010 08:02:26 »
I do not know about anyone else but I sure as heck would...My graying hair is much more corse then my fine softer natural brown hair is.... I much prefer my younger hair to now.. not to mention I had way more then!

Thank you for your response,
Your grandmas hair must have been lovely. That is cool!
« Last Edit: 02/12/2010 12:07:35 by Karen W. »

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/11/2010 12:29:06 »
It's possible that the melanin remains longer than average in the hair follicle, but generally it is replaced by colourless air bubbles. Without melanin the hair grows in its 'natural' state - eg grey or uncoloured.

For the general population this occurs at around 30 or 40 years old and is a gradual change. Though exceptions occur on both ends of the scale.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/12/2010 12:08:34 »
My hair began going gray when I was 19 years old.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/12/2010 04:31:42 »
I thought Ronald Regan denied dying his hair...

I think everyone will turn grey over time, it just will occur at different ages for different people, and will also depend, of course, on how long a person lives.

People with Blond & light colored hair may be able to effectively hide their greying hair, and outwardly it may just seem as if the hair color is just getting lighter.  Over time, though, the blond hair is gone and all that is left is white/grey.

Cancer treatment can have long term effects on the hair, and I believe can actually cause texture changes and perhaps either patches of darker or patches of greyer hair.  However, people are not encouraged to seek out such an approach to hair coloring.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/12/2010 14:39:59 »
"I thought Ronald Regan denied dying his hair..."
He did. If I remember rightly it was the "Not the nine O'clock News" show that quoted  a source saying "He doesn't dye his hair, he's just prematurely orange".

I think the only way to be sure of keeping your youthful hair into your dotage is to lose all your hair while very young and wear a wig.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #7 on: 03/12/2010 14:51:36 »
Decapitation would work and save on the other problems which old age can bring, but its a tad on the desperate side, to put it mildly.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 03/12/2010 14:51:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums