The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is our current wet snow due to a warmer North sea  (Read 2064 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In the Southeast our traffic is disrupted by much wet snow although temperatures are not that low.
Is this due to global warming with higher North sea temperatures ? 

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Is our current wet snow due to a warmer North sea
« Reply #1 on: 01/12/2010 11:54:10 »
Since the winds are blowing in from the east and the eastern side of the country seems to be getting the worst of the snow, and, as you say, it is quite 'wet' it would seem to be a fair assumption that the North Sea must be a tad warmer than usual. Weather (intentional pun) this is due to global warming climate change will doubtless be a bone of contention.

NB
Don't mention 'global warming', I just did it once, but I think I got away with it.

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/12/2010 12:28:18 »
http://www.bsh.de/en/Marine_data/Observations/Sea_surface_temperatures/
Has loads of data regarding sea surface temperature for the North Sea.  Unfortunately the most useful map to answer your question - i.e the November 2010 anomaly plan has not yet been calculated.  However, comparison with the paterns from last year would suggest a positive anomoaly (i.e. higher than average SST).

This is well within the scope of "natural variabillity" and given than the meterological definition of "climate" relates to a 30 year running mean  (Often forgotten by amateur cherry pickers on both sides) it is really impossible to say.  However, one key prediction to come out the IPCC is that there will be more "extreme" events - whether or not this cold snap is remains to be seen... 

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/12/2010 12:47:18 »
Of course this is early in the season for these Easterlies so perhaps the sea has not as yet cooled down. the weather satellite pictures indicate temperatures of about 10°C.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/12/2010 07:43:53 »
No, and yes I would say. The mean temperature is rising all over the globe, more or less, there will always be local exceptions where you even may find a opposite, but as a whole it's rising. That will create more humidity as warm air can hold more moisture. The air and winds we see wander all over the globe, even if they have 'corridors' bringing that humidity with it. And as you say the oceans are getting warmer, as well as acidic. Hot water sets air in motion, bringing with it stronger storms and circulation. We've had lots of snow in Sweden those last years, but I expect it to become mostly/only rain instead in like 'ten years'? Maybe sooner if it's accelerating.

==
 We've started to break temperature records again. GISS Surface Temperature Analysis. "The global mean temperature for April set new records, and with it the January-through-April average for 2010."

And if you're interested about water temperatures rising you should read Ocean heat content increases update.

Did you know that "Oceans absorb more than a quarter of the CO2 emitted by humans, which in one way is fortunate since this natural absorption mitigates the impact the gas has on the climate. However the soaring levels of man-made CO2 in the atmosphere are proving devastating to the oceans themselves: since the beginning of the industrial era they have become 30 percent more acidic, reaching an acidity peak not seen in at least 55 million years, scientists say. "

And that "Changing ocean chemistry could turn some fish species into easy meals, with senses of smell so scrambled they’re actually attracted to their predators. Researchers discovered the potentially deadly problem through a series of experiments on common reef-dwelling fish that were raised in seawater with acidity levels resembling what’s expected by the century’s middle and end."

Not that it really matter, we're already fishing of most of the fish remaining it seems. Nothing seems to stop 'progress' as those putting the money in their pockets call it,

« Last Edit: 08/12/2010 11:51:32 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08/12/2010 22:38:08 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 08/12/2010 22:38:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums