The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Rocket Engine Fuels  (Read 9450 times)

Offline Vadermort

• View Profile
Rocket Engine Fuels
« on: 16/02/2006 04:05:49 »
Does anyone here know how to make reasonably good Rocket Fuel from household materials. I heard of one called "Taffy" made with KMnO4 and Ethanol. It hasnt been used in ages but can anyone tell me the ratio of the two?

Besides taffy are there any others?

b.s

Offline Fez_uk

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Rocket Engine Fuels
« Reply #1 on: 18/02/2006 11:45:18 »
use google...

Ever heard of Potato cannons? They can launch potatoes over 400 yards..
If you are intrested go to the Euro spudgun forum based in the Uk @ newbielink:http://www.eurospudgun.com [nonactive]
They are alot of fun and quite easy to build!

Offline Ray hinton

• View Profile
    • http://uk.geocities.com/rayhinton56@btinternet.com/photopagetan.html
« Reply #2 on: 18/02/2006 22:40:09 »
you would need an enormous spud gun to get a satellite into orbit,and im sure if the acceleration didnt kill a man the amount of starch flying around would.

Offline Fez_uk

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/02/2006 20:55:25 »
Yea, its called a signiture? Oviosly I wouldnt suggest a spudgun as a equvilent for rocket fuel

Ever heard of Potato cannons? They can launch potatoes over 400 yards..
If you are intrested go to the Euro spudgun forum based in the Uk @ newbielink:http://www.eurospudgun.com [nonactive]
They are alot of fun and quite easy to build!

Offline Ray hinton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/02/2006 02:08:48 »
im afraid i like my spuds chopped up and deep fried, nice plate of chips mmmmmmmmmmmmm

ROBERT

« Reply #5 on: 20/02/2006 15:56:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ray hinton

im afraid i like my spuds chopped up and deep fried, nice plate of chips mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hopefully not fried in lard Ray, (animal fat = cholesterol)

Ray hinton
 Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  01:09:54      
---------------------------------------------------------------------

my (heart) attack was in december 05..
« Last Edit: 20/02/2006 15:57:23 by ROBERT »

ROBERT

« Reply #6 on: 20/02/2006 16:04:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by Vadermort

Does anyone here know how to make reasonably good Rocket Fuel from household materials. I heard of one called "Taffy" made with KMnO4 and Ethanol. It hasnt been used in ages but can anyone tell me the ratio of the two?

b.s

What about a water powered rocket ?:-

""  ROKIT is a precision water rocket used by schools and colleges throughout the world to demonstrate Laws of Motion.

Attach the Rokit to a standard plastic fizzy pop bottle, part fill with water and use a cycle pump to power it for automatic launch!

This exciting kit has the capability of providing repeatable experiments. Rokit flies to around 30 metres (100ft) which creates great fun in learning science its a valuable and visual tool for all levels of science education.""

http://www.rokit.com/

The ROKIT is safer than an explosive powered one, and its legal.
« Last Edit: 20/02/2006 16:08:08 by ROBERT »

Offline Ray hinton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/02/2006 00:01:12 »
I would not like to be launched into space on a pop bottle either,beside being mighty uncomfortable(raised lip round top),there is no where to put the supply of wensleydale and crackers needed for space exploration :)
i do my chips in polyunsaturated oils now,does this mean the parrot has been removed from it?. :D

RE-HAB IS FOR QUITTERS.

Offline Vadermort

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22/02/2006 04:07:47 »
Yeah thats some good stuff but i was thinking of launching small rocket like things that can be filled with some pyrotechnics at the top or something.

b.s

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22/02/2006 17:53:33 »
The rocket engine fuel I've come across is hydrazine, N2H4. But then I don't think this can be easily made with household materials.

Angel

another_someone

« Reply #10 on: 23/02/2006 17:34:22 »
The most common one I think is just kerosene and liquid oxygen.

The V2 I believe used Hydrogen Peroxide as an oxidiser, and either kerosene or ethanol as a fuel.

Ofcourse, the problem with any liquid fuelled rocket is that you have a lot of plumbing to go with it, and the motors themselves.

One simple design of crude rocket I have heard of is simply soaking newspaper in sodium nitrate solution, rolling it up into a long cylinder, and letting it dry out.

George

Offline tsallgood

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26/02/2006 08:07:13 »
Adding ethanol to KMnO4 will do nothing.  KMnO4 and sugar will give you a hell of a reaction.  However, I usually 'kill' gummy bears with liquid KMnO4, which melts at 240 C; so I don't know how strong a reaction you would get with solid or aqueous KMnO4.  I would assume the ethanol acts as a solvent more than anything.  Also, when KMnO4 absorbs water, it decreases reactivity.  So, you would need to use 100% pure ethanol; the highest you can distill is up to 95%.  Everything, except the sugar, is not a household product.  All and all, I'd look for another propellant, unless you work in a chem lab.

FYI  KMnO4 can be used to produce ethan-diol from ethene.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14/08/2006 16:21:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by Vadermort

b.s

Yes: Zinc powder/Sulfur powder. Ratio: 80%/20%. It's difficult to ignite (you can use black powder for example) but it's quite safe. It makes a beautiful, long, yellow-green flame. Another one: KNO3/Sugar. Ratio: 50%/50% (if I remember correctly).

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 14/08/2006 16:21:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums