The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What creates the sound you hear when you cook?  (Read 1673 times)

Offline freecw

• View Profile
What creates the sound you hear when you cook?
« on: 06/12/2010 17:06:08 »
I know that sound is created by pressure waves in the air, which is caused by lyranx when you speak, or by banging things together. What I don't understand is what creates the sizzling sound you hear when you cook? I just baked some chicken nuggets in the oven on aluminum foil, and when I take it out of the oven I hear this sizzling sound Similar to the sound you hear when you fry something. It's hot but is the movement of the molecules in the food enough to create pressure waves to create sound?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #1 on: 06/12/2010 19:56:53 »
That's a good question.

The sounds that occur when food fries are caused by gas expanding, either because some liquid - often water - from inside the food exits into the hot fat around the food, vapourising and expanding, or because some oil from the food touches a really hot part of the pan and becomes so hot that it boils and vapourises; again, the expansion causes shock waves in the air which you hear as the frying sound.

Chris

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• I before E except after C, unless weird science
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/12/2010 22:48:52 »
That's a good question.

The sounds that occur when food fries are caused by gas expanding, either because some liquid - often water - from inside the food exits into the hot fat around the food, vapourising and expanding, or because some oil from the food touches a really hot part of the pan and becomes so hot that it boils and vapourises; again, the expansion causes shock waves in the air which you hear as the frying sound.

Chris
You'll get this sound when heating any wet bio-matter. I'm a welder, once I did something REALLY stupid (but only did it once). After finishing a weld I tried to flip it over after taking off my gloves. I heard a sizzling sound followed by quite a lot of pain and a string of bad words.

SteveFish

« Reply #3 on: 07/12/2010 02:54:51 »
Eric, I have done a lot of welding, but I am not even close to being a welder. You have just brought back a painful memory. Thanks a lot .... Steve

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 07/12/2010 02:54:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums