The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?  (Read 975204 times)

bezoar

• View Profile
What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?
« on: 01/09/2003 18:31:42 »
Have a grandson with molluscum, which I am told is a form of pox virus.  Currently, he's being treated with some caustic chemical by the dermatologist.  Is there any alternative treatment?  Any truth to the use of duct tape with warts, and would that help?

Bezoar
« Last Edit: 04/09/2009 21:08:36 by chris »

chris

• The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?
« Reply #1 on: 20/11/2003 22:30:57 »
That's right, molluscum contagiosum is a pox virus and hence a relative of smallpox as well as vaccinia, which is used as the smallpox vaccine.

Molluscum is acquired by close personal contact with another infectious individual, including sexually, and may occasionally be spread by fomites ('things' capable of conveying infection).

The lesions are about 5 mm across, are raised with a central depression, and have a coppery hue. They may be single or multiple. Seen in cross section they are cup-shaped and consist of huge overgrowth of the skin cells (initiated by the virus to make them more permissive for viral replication) which are crammed with infectious virus. The lesions are infectious, and prodding them can encourage the expression of a caseous virus-laden cell debris.

The lesions themselves are usually painless but may become secondarily infected by bacteria if they are traumatised (e.g. by picking), and can persist for anything from a few months to a few years.

There is no cure nor surefire way to prevent re-infection (excepting never touching another living sole). However, they may be treated with desquamative agents which push up skin turnover and essentially push the virus out. Cryotherapy (nitrogen freezing) is a common treatment. Duct tape probably works the same way, but I doubt there's much in the literature about that !

chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx
« Last Edit: 04/09/2009 21:10:25 by chris »

bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/11/2003 07:12:31 »
He's just about cleared now, but I guess I could try to duct tape on the few remaining lesions, just for the sake of science.  The dermatologist tells me that adults acquire an immunity to molluscum and it is rare in adults unless they are immunocompromised.

Bezoar
« Last Edit: 30/11/2003 07:14:43 by bezoar »

tweener

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/12/2003 00:06:20 »
I don't know anything about molluscum, but duct tape on warts is very frustrating.  I've got a plantars wart on my foot that I've been trying to get rid of for two years.  I've had it frozen twice, used duct tape for a full year, and tried some of the salycilic acid otc treatments.  It gets smaller to a point, then just sits.

Any wart cures would be welcome!

----
John

roberth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/12/2003 02:34:51 »
While I don't want to gross everyone out, my father told me many years ago that urine will cure warts. He learned it while in the army. I, of course, didn't believe him until I tried it on a couple of warts that I'd had for some time. Urine in healthy humans is sterile when delivered, easily accessable and readily available. Dab it on once or twice over a couple of days and the wart will fall off within a week. I prefer to use my own, but I guess it's up to the individual. It works!
Urine also helps reduce scarring when applied to a burn, and adds a whole new dimension to the phrase "I wouldn't p!ss on him if he was on fire".
Someone with more chemistry experience may be able to give the reasons for these properties, because I can't.

Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/12/2003 19:46:47 »
Interesting to learn that urine works for warts.  The only other remedy I know of is to mix spirits of camphor with baking soda into a paste, apply and cover with bandage. Change morning and night.  Used it once and it worked, but urine is probably easier.

Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/12/2003 13:33:44 »
I have a small wart on the middle knuckle of my left hand but there's no way I'm going to pee on my hand to get rid of it =)

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

chris

• The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #7 on: 02/12/2003 23:01:49 »
quote:
 The dermatologist tells me that adults acquire an immunity to molluscum and it is rare in adults unless they are immunocompromised.

I've seen quite a few adult cases in the GUM (genitourinary medicine) clinic.:(

chris

- Groucho Marx

bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/12/2003 01:19:28 »
Are those warts molluscum or condyloma?

Bezoar

tweener

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/12/2003 02:36:22 »
Is urine really sterile?  I've heard that and never believed it.  I may try it on my foot - it doesn't gross me out, but I have to admit that I'm doubting if it will work.

----
John

roberth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03/12/2003 03:22:35 »
But when it does work, you will come back and tell all the doubters, won't you? And yes, urine is sterile. I guess it's to keep reproductive tracts clean, but the medicos may know a better reason.

tweener

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03/12/2003 03:44:42 »
I will certainly tell the unbelievers!  

If it works.

I'm definitely going to try it, but if this wart falls off in a week, it'll make me walk funny 'cause about half my foot will be gone. ;)

----
John

chris

• The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #12 on: 03/12/2003 16:50:06 »
Urine is an ultrafiltrate of blood. As blood is forced through capillaries in the kidney some of the fluid is squeezed out, taking bodily waste products - like urea, acids, or alkali with it. The renal axis (kidney - ureter - bladder - urethra) is sterile except when you get an infection and if that is the case you usually know about it.

Thus, golden showers are usually not a threat to health, but coprophilic practices might get you into trouble if you are not careful !

Chris

- Groucho Marx

tweener

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06/12/2003 05:39:31 »
I don't think trying to get rid of a wart qualifies as coprophilic.  But you never quite know, do you?

Thanks for the explanation Chris - it makes sense now.
----
John
« Last Edit: 06/12/2003 05:40:25 by tweener »

chris

• The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #14 on: 07/12/2003 20:51:03 »
No John - I was trying to reinforce the sterile message with urine by highlighting coprophilia as an example of 'non-sterile' congress for which other (additional) precautions are appropriate.

Peeing on a wart would not really class as fetish behaviour (and hence is not a golden shower) unless you were specifically turned on by the process and hence actively sought out warts to pee on (your own or those of others) to achieve sexual gratification ! Which I'm sure you don't. Do you ?

- Groucho Marx

Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08/12/2003 03:32:42 »
Ya John, do you?  Enquiring minds want to know.:0:I

tweener

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14/12/2003 01:46:06 »
Never tried it, but you never know......

:D

----
John

nightmare

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29/08/2004 22:09:21 »
Hi, i think i may have molluscum contagiosum.I dont want to see a doctor, is there any medicine i can take?

vickie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29/09/2004 17:54:57 »
my 7 year old daughter has molluscum contagiosum virus for a year and is spreading her friends wont play with her does anyone no any treatment for this

victoria mcintyre

vickie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29/09/2004 17:56:32 »
anyone any ideas any home remedies for molluscum.
« Last Edit: 29/09/2004 21:45:18 by vickie »

neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Too Much Free Time Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29/09/2004 18:46:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by vickie

my 7 year old daughter has molluscum contagiosum virus for a year and is spreading her friends wont play with her does anyone no any treatment for this

victoria mcintyre

I hope this link serves to help a little http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/en.asp?TopicID=311&AreaID=804&LinkID=407  when you click it, you'll see the introductyion and directly above links for, prevention and cure etc etc....good luck :-)...and try this one too http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/molluscum.htm

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'
« Last Edit: 29/09/2004 18:49:46 by neilep »

vickie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29/09/2004 21:46:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by bezoar

Have a grandson with molluscum, which I am told is a form of pox virus.  Currently, he's being treated with some caustic chemical by the dermatologist.  Is there any alternative treatment?  Any truth to the use of duct tape with warts, and would that help?

Bezoar

victoria mcintyre

vickie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29/09/2004 21:48:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by bezoar

Bezoar

has your grandson got rid of molluscum yet and if so can you please tell me how as my daughter has had it ages.

victoria mcintyre

vickie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29/09/2004 21:54:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by nightmare

Hi, i think i may have molluscum contagiosum.I dont want to see a doctor, is there any medicine i can take?

my daughter has had it a year no point going to a doctor as they give u nothing and tell you it will go away itself within 6 months to 4 years watch as it spreads very quickly everywhere on the body.

victoria mcintyre

July18thsparkler

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21/01/2005 05:50:37 »
To Vickie,

I feel I can really relate to you on this topic, I feel so bad about your daughter and that guy's grandson. Children are just so vulnerable to everything and I can only imagine how devestated you are that you can't seem to get any answers. My name is Amanda and I am 19 years old and was diognosed with Molluscum. Unlike the majority of the people my age I didn't contract this virus through sexual activity and permisquity. I was devasted when I found out that I had gotten this, because I pride myself of being a clean person - most of all i have no idea what to tell my fiance, how do you tell the man your about to marry that you have contracted an STI (sexually transmitted infection), but didn't get it by haveing sex. I've had this since september of 2004 and have done my homework on it. i have found that there are not many very good or easy treatments, although i did like the results of a treatment called cimetdine when i read about it. But that the thing there are treatments that physicians can do but they won't treat them, it's extremely frustrating for me because my doctor told me that there are treatment but she doesn't treat them, and i'm no acception. i am extremely outraged because the longer i have these lesions the greater the risk of me giving this to someone else, unintentionally of coarse, personally i don't wish this upon anyone. My doctor said it will go away, but it's getting worse and harder to control, i said to her, but that really didn't matter it seemed. i constantly live in fear of giving this to someone else. Why have treatments if no one will treat you. Are you having this problem in communication with your daughters physician.

sincerely,
Amanda

Amanda Neal

SMF 2.0 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines