The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?  (Read 1465222 times)

Offline mrsturn

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?
« Reply #125 on: 10/08/2007 20:52:27 »
Hi,
just to update following my previous post (on page 5 I think). I posted to say how Australian Lemon Myrtle was clearing my daughters molluscum up which she had had for months. Well about a week after my last post it had completely gone. Now, a few weeks later still all gone and not a scar to be seen. I think it has done the trick. It is so cheap and easy to use I would really  recommend that people do give it a go. I am now using the remainder of my bottle as a room fragrance!!!!!! ;D

Offline rickyd

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 13/08/2007 04:13:21 »
mrsturn, glad the lemon myrtle is another tool in our arsenal we can try. moragtoerag, hope you weren't referring to my post when you said quack silver treatment. All the herbal supplements I mentioned cost less than $60 or 70 combined. And if you don't buy the Thuja it's probably less than $40. I really think it works, it's been 100% effective for us - very quick, reliable, and pain-free. I would recommend people at least try it and if possible post results back here. The more experiences with treatments all of us share the better.

Offline notf

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 15/08/2007 01:12:40 »
Ok, I signed up just to post on this thread.  I've had molluscum for nearly a year.  I am an otherwise healthy adult male, 28 years old.  I got it from my girlfriend who never really showed any signs of it, all I can think is that she had it briefly and then her body developed the immunity shortly thereafter and she is clean.

I have tried everything.  Literally everything.  I've tried the silvercure, no change.  I've tried zymaderm, no change.  Comfrey ointment, no change.  Salycic acid, no change.  Benzoyl peroxide, no change.  I've popped them and cleaned the area with iodine and neosporin.  I've used witch hazel, aloe vera, honey, tea tree oil, etc.  I use fresh towels, change my boxers 3 times a day.  Every time when I think its starting to disappear, I'll find 7-8 more spots, all small, but very evident.  I've been to the dermatologists, I've tried aldara and condylox. 

Orally I've taken aloe vera, milk thistle, thuja, sulpher, lysine, zinc, histamine blockers, vitamins, echinacea, various immune system pills, colloidal silver, burdock root, various green teas, and the list goes on. 

I've done research on lemon myrtle and have like 200 dollars in products on order because at this point I will do anything.  I don't understand this at all.  Its as though no research is being done.  I have become a hermit, I have no self esteem, I'm depressed, and its become an obsession.  You can't even live your life. 

Offline twolaver

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 15/08/2007 02:32:06 »
Australian Lemon Myrtle - Any recommendations where I can buy the Australian Lemon Myrtle in the US.  Either a store or online?

Also, any suggestions on how to apply it?  Thanks, Tony

Offline notf

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 15/08/2007 04:58:48 »
newbielink:http://www.libertynatural.com [nonactive]   - you can order online, or you even can call and order.  They are out of Oregon, and are actually much cheaper than anyplace else. 

newbielink:http://www.sasa.com [nonactive] - You can order various lemon myrtle lotions, soaps, etc.  They are stationed out of Hong Kong, but they ship internationally and after a certain dollar amount, ship free.  Much quicker and cheaper than ordering from Australia, where 99% of the world's market for lemon myrtle resides.

Hope this helps.

Offline moragtoerag

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 17/08/2007 23:37:59 »
I ordered the Lemon Myrtle oil, but while waiting for it to arrive in the post decided to buy some Teatree oil as it was also mentioned in this forum. (I had got to that stage where you have to do something, anything, straight away!!) I have been dabbing it on my 4 year old's armpits and stomach with a cotton bud for three weeks now, and within a week the difference was astounding. The spots that were really red and angry-looking are now barely visible. However, three new tiny warts have appeared near the first large wart on her belly, it's almost as if the virus has given up the fight in the armpit and is moving on to new pastures.  Having said that, I am really pleased with the teatree oil, so much that I haven't even got round to using the lemon myrtle yet.

Offline mrsturn

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 18/08/2007 21:13:40 »
Hi Moragtoerag!

I think that the red angry molluscum are the ones that are about to go away naturally anyway. They seem to have to get really big and nasty before they go (well all my daughters did anyway). They seem to just sit there for a few weeks not doing anything, before they get nasty and go. I always thought they looked worse before they went. Once they are red and big they seem to go quickly. In my experience the Lemon Myrtle (diluted with olive oil -  1 part lemon to 3 parts olive oil) seemed to make them all big and red.In fact they seemed to take it in turns to bleed and then scab up - then go. It didn't take long to work either. Good luck anyway. We are still molluscum free......

Notf - it will go away  - really. I didn't have it myself but my daughter had it for months. She is too little to be embarrassed but I was a bit - especially when other people saw them. I'm sure it is terrible to have as an adult. You sound so fed up - I hope all the lemon myrtle stuff you have ordered works for you. I only go the one bottle of the oil and that did it.  Fingers crossed. x
« Last Edit: 18/08/2007 21:19:33 by mrsturn »

Offline mc

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 19/08/2007 11:32:41 »
It almost sounds as if every product has been flooding websites where people look up info onthis disease.. you people will ALL get what you deserve, even if you don't believe in god..  having trouble sleeping already knowing that you are basically sh*t ?!?  Don't worry you will.
And to everybody out there who is suffering,  truly: Best of luck, good wishes to you all.

Offline mc

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 19/08/2007 11:44:52 »
notf, i don't know what to say.. try to juice up everything else about your life that is good. And just keep your guard up, make it a normal reflex to take all precautions but at the same time don't let it become an obsession. Life is still out there and it's good, i know it sounds like an easy thing to say but trust me.. mine just got way worse, i know what your going through. Chin up an'kep fighting ''IT''. Not yourself  GOD BLESS

Offline fed.up.

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 23/08/2007 19:06:56 »
well, RE my post on page 5 about trying pee & colloidal silver - I gave up on that quite quick.
> I had so many I seemed to be smothering my groin in pee which just seemed naff.
> I was dowsing the area with colloidal silver aswell...then the itching began. I don't know what caused it, I was washing daily. But anyway this intense itch all over the area began so I stopped using both, that was like three weeks ago - & ITS STILL ITCHING!!

Offline fed.up.

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 23/08/2007 19:10:39 »
...Maybe I'm not a good guinie pig due to being pregnant & as I keep being told "the immune system does strange things during this time". I went back to thuja cream but for some reason they itch like never before. Some did go, once again some new ones came. But I definitely agree with the others who say they swell up before they dissapear...so maybe they're doing that but just taking extra long with the swelling process!

Offline fed.up.

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 23/08/2007 19:12:16 »
Well, I guess I'll just have to take a back seat with the fight until the sprog arrives then go into full blown battle mode. Only 4 weeks to go!!

Offline mc

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 25/08/2007 01:37:25 »
hi fed up.. don't give up girl, i just finished my three hours minimum a day of studying and researching on this disease and i have so much to tell every body but it's so much information.. by the way congrats on the upcoming beautiful baby you're about to have! And about pee and the silver: Well silver is claimed to work but is somewhat dangerous, i'm sure your body, allthough it can't defend itself from MC yet, it did react to all topical remedies. About the urine, it does seem to work a little on decreasing spread and soothing itch, plus it's sterile and it comes from your body. So i wouldn't worry about that one. But i'd stop using any strong remedies such as silver specially since you are pregnant and silver is known to be a little harsh on the human body. Do your own research, u don't have to take my word for it. Also there seems to be some itching from the spread of the virus because of the alterations it provokes on your skin. Thuja although maybe not a miracle cure, is at least natural but in the high concentrations that we use it, may cause some irritation. In my case i used thuja oil and it had a "nice" burning sensation but i ran out, was too expensive and some of the flaking off of my skin may have been due to that.  In conclusion; never too much of a good thing. Don't think that having tons of different products is going to work faster. I'm going to try lemon myrtle not because of the testimonials, which you and i know half (and im not talking about any speciffic) are just out there to make you spend money  but because there is way more scientific studies been conducted in a methodic way that have shown that it is working. Mind you it's not a miracle cure but at least it's safer. Same studies have been performed to determine just how toxic Backhousia citridoria aka lemon myrtle is on human skin and it turns out it is quite toxic if not dilluted. But once you mix it with olive oil down t at least 10% Aussie LMyrtle there are no adverse effects and again, proper scientific studies proved it works. Check out the modern day library(internet)and try to read only serious
non-advertisement medical articles.   Nuff said, take care and be happy, during my study hours i come upon sh*t that makes you re-think feeling unlucky for having this. Remember smallpox? Have you seen pictures of the babies? I did and i felt like an idiot for having the "why me" complaint. molluscum goes away even if it takes five years and it doesnt kill you or anybody around you. Don't get me wrong, i hate it with all my guts but sh*t allways happens, it's how you react to it that really matters. It spread all over my body after going mountain climbing which is my job (kiss that goodbye) and couldn't take a shower in three days and combined sweat with below freezzing temps. Add a three week surftrip on rain polluted beaches and you have a body full of spread lesions when actually before that ordeal i was down to a handful. Was it worthy it? F*ck  yeah i had a summer to remember and all i'm missing out on is sex and no other human being was involved in my disease. I can't go climbing anymore at least until i bring it down to a handful or zero lesions again but the message here is go on with your life and just do what it takes without hurting yourself or others. Oh and aldara kills people too. So does silver and most stuff that's out there and even the natural remedies if you overdo it, take care everyone. good luck and lots of love

Offline darnmollusc

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 26/08/2007 00:32:51 »
hi, new here, molluscum all over my hand.  IT sucks because in a situations where I have to shake someones hand, I have to offer my left, which always throws them off, probably annoys them too.  Anyways, I was looking into lemon myrtle and came upon a site that mentioned that zymaderm was created by the same people that did the lemon myrtle study.  Is this true?  I've read mixed reviews on that stuff.
thanks!

Offline darnmollusc

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 26/08/2007 00:37:04 »
oh yeah, I've had this for about a month or two. I've been using everything from retin-a, to anti-fungal cream, to grape seed extract.  I've noticed the anti fungal cream tends to reduce it, but not elimate them. Right now I just started using silvercure and taking Tagamet pills.  I read somewhere that tagamet is supposed to help.  I think its on the CDC website.

Offline mrsturn

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 27/08/2007 21:28:50 »
''I'm going to try lemon myrtle not because of the testimonials, which you and i know half (and im not talking about any speciffic) are just out there to make you spend money''  quote 'mc'

I can assure you that I have no interest in making anyone spend money 'mc' . Lemon myrtle worked for my daughter and I was over the moon - that is my reason for posting. It is cheap (less than 5). Buy it from wherever you like. Or don't bother. Please yourself.  ::)
« Last Edit: 27/08/2007 21:30:52 by mrsturn »

Offline keiko79

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 28/08/2007 00:03:27 »
I was recently diagnosed- only about 3 weeks ago.  I had only a few spots at the time, less than 10.  My doctor put a chemical on which was quite painful and turned my skin purple.  She told me they would be completely gone in 5-7 days and that it shouldn't come back. I went to my follow up appointment 10 days later, and they were still there, with a couple of additional spots as well. She treated them again, and told me to wait two weeks before calling again.  The larger spots are gone with only a scab remaining, but the smaller leisons are just the same, as if the chemical had no effect at all. 

The doctor I saw the second time (a different one)told me that it was no big deal at all, that it would be gone within a few weeks and told me I could even have sex as long as I used a condom.  I have since done a large amount of research, and am shocked that she told me I could have sex at all. I have an appointment with a dermatologist in two weeks to see what she reccommends. I have also ordered the lemon myrtle as well as the tea tree oil and thuja (although I was confused if people take the tablets or actually apply oil to the bumps). 

I guess I didn't realize how bad it could get until I read all these posts. A problem that I thought would go away within a few weeks, apparently last for years. I guess I just wonder if the brave people who post on this forum are typical, or a minority of the population with Molluscum. 
Anyway, I also wondered which removal methods done by dermatologists have the smallest chance for scarring.  Any comments are appreciated.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: 28/08/2007 00:05:11 by keiko79 »

Offline darnmollusc

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 28/08/2007 01:26:53 »
''I'm going to try lemon myrtle not because of the testimonials, which you and i know half (and im not talking about any speciffic) are just out there to make you spend money''  quote 'mc'

I can assure you that I have no interest in making anyone spend money 'mc' . Lemon myrtle worked for my daughter and I was over the moon - that is my reason for posting. It is cheap (less than 5). Buy it from wherever you like. Or don't bother. Please yourself.  ::)
hey, will this stuff work? newbielink:http://www.amazon.com/Primavera-Lemon-Myrtle-organic/dp/B000FSYYGI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6727356-4307134?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1188260683&sr=8-1 [nonactive]

thanks!

Offline notf

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 28/08/2007 23:54:14 »
Yeah, the primavera stuff would work.  Its not a very good deal though, like 5ML for 17 or so with shipping.  But yeah, that would work.  I bought it before I found the other stuff. 

Offline notf

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 29/08/2007 13:14:41 »
The problem...is that molluscum can go away on its own.  And because of that, its nearly impossible to wade through the piles of information to find something that actually works.  I could say "I used motor oil on my molluscum and within 3 weeks they were gone."  When in actuality, there is a better chance my body started producing the antibodies around the same time and my immune system actually expelled the virus.  For every article saying one treatment is the definitive answer, there is another finding the opposite.  Just today I found an article stating that lemon myrtle is only effective in children when treating molluscum; not adults. 

The most frustrating part, is that I'm otherwise healthy.  I have no other ailments, diseases, etc.  And I'm going on 10 months of dealing with this, using every possible treatment I can find.  You would assume by now something I would have tried would have caused my immune system to recognize the virus and actually start fighting it. 

I have been to 3 different dermatologists for consultation.  How is it that the entire community of dermatologists can have so little knowledge of this virus, and furthermore, how do they not care?

Offline darnmollusc

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 30/08/2007 04:14:56 »
I feel your pain.  It started on my hand, then worked its way up my arm.  Now I'm starting to feel some irritation in the crotch area >:( and I also see some red spots on the neck, I hope it's not on the neck... [V]  I feel like crawling in a hole to die. That method, that one guy used, of taking a bath in bleach water is beginning to sound tempting.

Offline Boyish

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 30/08/2007 04:38:25 »
notf,

Can you tell me what kind of motor oil? Do you still have moluscum?

Offline keiko79

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 31/08/2007 14:23:42 »
I'm suffering from some pretty major paranoia.  Anytime I see the smallest red bump, I assume that it is MC.  I woke up this morning with a small red bump on my neck and now I'm freaking out that it is going to appear all over my body.  I am currently using apple cider vinegar at night and a tea tree oil/antiseptic cream during the day.  I'm also taking extra vitamins and immune supports.  Has anyone had luck with the tea tree oil cream? Also, how are you coping with freaking out over every single skin blemish? :-\

Offline mc

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 01/09/2007 02:08:07 »
Yes, we all tend to freak out when a new red spot however insignificant appears..  i am fluent in three more languages and have entered other forums from around the globe and there are lots of people with mc out there. It seems to be growing and not much studied. And no, you can't have sex without passing it to others ..unless you are irresponsible or have a full body condom. So, be responsible and don't spread it. 
About the testimonies, i clearly stated that i didn't mean any in particular so please refrain your anger and read carefuly.
And ..READ do your own research, it does help,   A LOT! I was almost rid of this but couldn't put my life and my job on a hold because of it. It's a lot more under control and i just might make it out of this but i assure you, reading about it helps incredibly.. i'm waiting for my lemon myrtle and i will go back to full on discipline even if it means sacrificing a little  from the rest of my normal life.
But people, don't panic, you're not gonna die from it and it WILL go away permanently when it does, i probably have had a worst case than most of what i've read from this website and it IS affecting my life bigtime but i'm fighting it and try to keep it at a non agressive mode towards myself (my body) or anyother person. Sorry if anyone feels offended by any comentaries i've made here but it's absolutely true that some people go into forums just to make a buck for their  product..  nothing new, it's been happening for ages. Stay away from harmful products as much as you can, it's a gamble and it's not worth it. How to cope with freaking out over every single skin blemish? Be responsible to others that haven't contrived this infection and just move over to the next productive, proactive step. Try to go on with your lives and talk to someone who is understanding and non judgemental towards you, maybe even a friend who's already been through this. And be responsible to yourself, don't harm your bodies out of pure hatred or despair, don't become obsesed. Hve a sense of humor about it whenever you can and think of the thousands of people going through real pain and suffering. And last but not least, even if you're sure you don't have HIV, get a test done, you will feel so much better knowing that you are only dealing with MCV plus you are doing a very responsible thing.
Don't bathe, shower.  Try to avoid sweating too much or go without a shower for more than a day when you do sweat.
Eat right, don't smoke or drink and sleep properly. Don't overstress yourself thinking about this, avoid stress in general. Get tests done to insure which parts of your body really are infected and which have only comon acne or blemishes.  Lookout for cancerigenous drugs prescribed for molluscum and stay away from negative people or products that look for any way to block you from reading anything that's not their MIRACLE CURE website, they'll only stress you out, get you depressed and will not help you move foward. About bleach water, it sounds a little too rough, ask a doctor. And about the info that is out there and sometimes contradictory: They're neither all right or all wrong, there is a logic to it and it's caled science and the scientific method not just a single trial and error, plus you will soon find that some info pops out from many different reliable sources. Don't just stick to one opinion but a concensus of rationalized studies and investigations, a lot of the work is up to you. The docs are busy looking for cures that save lives.

Offline ozgirl

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 03/09/2007 04:58:15 »
My 3 year daughter has had MC for about 4 months, starting with 3 small spots spreading to about 50 - over her arm & chest. I too was left confused and reluctant to part with any money after researching treatments. However I was intrigued by the Australian lemon myrtle, being Australian! We've been using it for a week & already there seems to be significant improvement - spots either shrinking or bursting & bleeding then scabbing over. We hadn't tried anything else, going with the idea that the problem would resolve itself. However, we are coming into Spring & with the warmer weather comes swimming !Its painless, inexpensive & smells great ! Will keep you posted on how she goes.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #149 on: 03/09/2007 04:58:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums