The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?  (Read 1466036 times)

Offline drq100

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?
« Reply #175 on: 21/01/2008 03:24:57 »
Tea tree oil works about 20% of the time, however when it is combined with small amounts of iodine, the success rate is over 85%! This is reported in US Patent # 7,311,928 for a homeopathic product called ZymaDerm, available at newbielink:http://www.molluscum-contagiosum.net [nonactive].

Offline hopefull

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 24/02/2008 22:14:05 »
I think I have had this for years , I have had skin colored bumps on my inner thighs for at least 10 years and a derm doc said it was nothing. I now know it is molluscum and since I have started to treat it , now it is going everywhere like it is angry. Yes, I have been tested for HIV and all neg. I have read on here that it goes away on its own and wonder if anyone else has has it this long. It really doesn't get real red and angry as been described on here but I have had a couple I could sqeeze, most are like a wart and yes I know they are molluscum. I have read a lot on here about the lemon oil. I would like to see if any adults have had success with it. This is awful and you feel very loney with it. I am glad I found this site. Any help would be a blessing.

Offline wam

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 26/02/2008 00:47:05 »
Hello, I am new to this form and I believe that I have MC. I have it on my genital region about 10 bumps And have had it for 2 weeks now. I do not have any STD's I was recently tested for the works and I was negative. And to my luck 3 days later I noticed a small bump near my pubic region.. I have had sex with anyone in months, but I have read about the incubation period for the damn virus. I was going to go to the doctor but honestly after finally convincing myself that I do not have HPV (that is what scared me the most!) and doing hours of research & looking at pictures and coming to the conclusion that the doctor's cannot do a damn thing.. That is the depressing part I think about the whole thing is because we all go to the doctor for them to heal us but then we go and they tell us just wait 2 years and it will clear up...  So what is the verdict of the lemon myrtle oil?? From the looks of it it cant hurt to try it. Any new information out there? thanks

Offline Jermaine_D

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 28/02/2008 21:54:13 »
Hi guys. I had/well still sort of have it but not to the extent it was. I had it on my crotch, at the start it was just 2 pimply looking spots, gave them a week or so to see if they would dissapear but they didnt. Went to a doc, she said I had molluscum and said they were harmless and they'd go away themselves and prescribed a cream called "warticon" which didnt do much. I used it and used it but it spread. It really got me down, so I followed a guys instructions on here (username crazed121)

My dermatologist showed me how-to do it properly. I was trying to pop them like a pimple but the way to do it is take your thumbnails, get as far under one of the bumps as far as you can, close them together tightly and pull up still pinching your thumbnails together until the white core comes out. The only way you'll know if it's been popped correctly is if bleeding occurs. It's a little painfull and messy but a day or two later their completely gone.

For the record I'm almost certain i got it from an unprotected sexual encounter  :(

I know its not a well constructed post, but I'd thought id have my say.

cheers  :)

Offline moragtoerag

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 06/03/2008 16:58:02 »
My 4 year old daughter's molluscum cleared up totally within a few weeks of dabbing on Australian lemon  myrtle oil with a cotton bud.  I diluted it 1 part to 10 in olive oil, and just put it on morning and night. The first ever spot, on her belly, which was different in quality to the others, more of a warty type thing, we squeezed out (slightly traumatic few seconds!!)and it seemed like that made it stop spreading too. We used to call it the 'mothership'!! just because it seemed that it had started off the whole thing.  I got the idea for the lemon myrtle oil off this forum a while ago, looked it up on wikipedia, (backhousia citriodora) and that was that. Have a look for your own supplier, I don't want to recommend one in case I get accused of working for a company or something! Good luck.

Offline axon

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 15/03/2008 00:02:02 »
Hi folks, I'm new here. I'm in day 2 post-molluscum diagnosis. I'm an otherwise healthy 31 year old gay male. I have no idea how I got this as I've been in a monogamous relationship for the past 1.5 years  >:(

After totally flipping out, I've been soaking up all the bits of advice on this fantastic forum. So far, I've had the doctor burn the first few lesions twice, I've ordered Zymaderm, I've bought and started using tea tree oil + iodine, multivitamins, colostrum, glutamine, echinacea etc.

I've spoken with my doctor about the condition twice now. His suggestion is that I should just come in every week or every second week and have them burned off. To me this feels like fiddling while Rome burns. I asked him to prescribe me at least one of... Cidofovir, tretinoin, Aldara, but he refused. I'm not sure why he refused, but he gave me a referral to a dermatologist. I'm someone with a very high sex drive, but I'm also very responsible and would NEVER want to risk passing it on to someone else. So it seems to me to be a good idea to try to hit this thing with everything in the toolbox and his attitude kind of irritates me. I wondered if anyone else had a problem getting their doctor to prescribe things for them? Even if it is possible to eliminate each outbreak with teatree oil and/or burning them off, I would really like to get the old immune system activated so that there is not a risk of future outbrteaks and infecting other people.

One last question... is cidofovir only regulated for use on HIV patients or is it commonly used for MCV sufferers?

Thanks all and good luck!

Steve.

Offline Joe Black

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 21/03/2008 10:07:06 »
Hi everyone,

Well, I am glad I found this forum as it seems as if there is a lot of people in the same boat and also some useful advice here.

I was worried about this terribly, even couldn't sleep for a few nights, fearing something was seriously wrong with me not being able to shift this in a week.

I noticed what I thought was a spot 2 months ago. Left if for a month, normal male not wanting to go to the doctors beahviour... Anyway, it spread a little and I noticed a few other smaller spots so I went to my clinic, had a swab and also had the freezing treatment. Swab came back all clear (I didn't have the blood test though, I am going back in 2 weeks for that) but the spots just flared up a touch and went back to normal. Went for one more and waited another week and noticed one flamed up a bit more so went back again.. They said none of them were active and no new ones have appeared since me going in for the first few weeks, but I am still worried.

They didn't seem too worried, said it can take some time to shift these things and to see how it went in the next 2 weeks. Admittedly I for the last year or so I have been a bit of a workaholic, sleep little and whilst I used to be active and eat well, not so much for the last year so i am betting this is not helping me.

I literally only have 7 or 8 spots.. one large, one medium, the rest very small.

So, right now I am going to just focus on getting on with things and trying to keep my immune system high.

- Eat better
- drink lots of water
- take vitamin c and a good multi-vitamin
- apply tea tree oil twice a day
- not bath, just shower and dry off REALLY well
- try and burst any I see new that come up

I am feeling better about it now because I assumed there was something seriously wrong with me because they did not go 3 weeks after treatment.

Offline Joe Black

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 21/03/2008 10:08:06 »
oh, one question which is quite urgent.

I am going ski'ing for 4 days next week, is there anything I need to consider?

It's pretty cold which will help but I also imagine it would be quite sweaty underneath the gear (my first time!)

Any hints on how to do things right?

Offline JassysMom

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 01/04/2008 03:18:58 »
Hi
I am another mommy going crazy because of this nasty virus. My daughter is 3 years old and it just breaks my heart,,,she is had these bumps since a month ago. I got on the net and started researching everything about the virus and let me tell you the more i read the more depress i kept getting. I hated my pediatrician for not doing enough to help...sit and wait is just not acceptable when is MY CHILD you are talking about. I ordered the silvercure after reading about it and let me tell you...lol my husband thought I was crazy but so what if lose money at least I knew I was doing something for my daughter. I started putting it on her twice a day and saw no changes the first 3 weeks but now we are on the 4th week and it starting to look promising. I was excited but still dont want to get too excited it cause they are not gone just yet. I am going to keep on using it and let you guys know in few weeks...their web-site says within days or 3 weeks is all gone and I say thats NOT truth. But I am happy with it now. She is not getting more and the ones she has(like 50 little ones) are getting smaller and disappearing. She has eczema too so that might be a factor on why is not working as fast...I dont know. she hates the silver skin cause she says it burns. Last week we she started crying during treatment and I started to cry too. Oh dont forget to pray! My daughter is seeing that she is getting better and says that God is helping us! I believe it too. Her daycare just recently saw the bumps and I freaked out cause I thought they were going to ask me not to bring her back but with a doctors note she went back the next day. I hope that this treatment keeps working or I am going to go crazy...hope this help some of the desperate moms like me. I'll keep you post it.

Offline biker

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 02/04/2008 13:28:14 »
update on mine (since last summer) is as follows;

i`d shifted them completely within about 6-8 weeks but there have since been very occassional small individual ones which i latch onto immediately.. they havnt been a problem;.. (i think once you`ve had them and gotten rid of them it`s easier to banish them subsequently).. my recommended treatment remains the same ie....

1) this is a war of attrition against a virus, 1st time you get it to some extent you will have to let it run its course and let your immunity system kick it out
2) try and avoid any unnecessary contact with the lesions (that is how they spread)
3) as soon as you see one emerging it needs to be lanced with a sterilised pin or needle and squeeze it hard to extract the puss - this keeps them at bay
4) avoid long baths or anything that keep them moist, (they like water)
5) dry thoroughly after showering with a clean towel, immediately put the towel into laundry to avoid spreading to family members
6) sprinkle amply with cuticura medicated talc at least twice daily and certainly after showering - it has zinc and magnesium in addition to its drying qualities as a talc which combats the virus - also, after you`ve lanced the spots with a pin (point 3 above), rub the cuticura talc vigorously into it
7) avoid alcohol and anything that might interfere with your immunity,  take a vitamin supplement including zinc and magnesium tablets (at least double the recommended daily dose)
8) i went on a thuji30 anti-fungal supplement tablets (5 holland & barratt), went thro 2 containers of these pills - i think it may have helped
9) try not to get too anxious, this takes time and you wont get better til your immunity has kicked out the virus

Offline Joe Black

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 05/04/2008 15:44:19 »
I like bikers advice.

The last 6 weeks have been hell for me. Since getting molluscum, I have been to the hospital 4-5 times for treatment and also undertaken swab tests and also a HIV test to just check everything. Even though I didn't have any specific reason for believing I had something serious, I was still super, super worried for the entire period waiting for the results and lost over half a stone through worrying and not feeling like eating. I just couldn't help it. During this time my molluscum was also getting worse :(

I am feeling MUCH more positive now. Swabs and blood tests all came back negative and admittedly at the moment I work very hard and have a lot of responsiiblities. Throw in little sleep and an unhealthy lifestyle and I guess I can see why this stuff isn't being given a chance to go.

I have found that squeezing them or just simply touching or playing around with them just makes them worse and sore. The last two weeks I have simply just tried to forget about them and do some simple things and it seems to be working. drining more water, getting in the gym, eating well.. not touching them unless I absolutely have to, not worrying about them (I used to check them about 10 times a day), drying off properly after a shower, changing towels after each wash.. I will also get the freezing treatment once per week just to kill off any new active ones.

Don;t let this ruin your life people. Get on with things and do the simple stuff that will help you get rid of it...

I caught this virus, I

Offline dash

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 06/04/2008 21:52:38 »
hello all, praying someone can help me with my situation.

here's my situations:   21 years old, guy, most likely got mollescum from a girl i slept with...initially had about 5 lesions around the top of my pubes, didnt really know what they were so left them alone for a while, then must have taken a bath or something because they spread (from about 5 to 50, mostly between the top of pubic area and few inches under bellybutton.

went to derm and got cryo done, then read these websites and used the ***** technique, used a needle to pop all of them and then put mix of tea tree oil/iodine on them. i think it's been about 5 days now since the derm, 3 days since i started popping them.

they look really different now, about half look scabbed over and dead from cryo, and the others are flat and have read heads from being pricked and bled, but flat, they seem like they will probably form scabs as well soon. (so overall, although it looks worse right now, i think i have successfully attacked most of them).

wondering a few things,

1) are they dead when they look like this?
2) how long will it take for the scabbing to go away? is there any prescription meds i can get to speed up this process (going to the beach in 6 weeks and really dont want it to be an issue)
3) how long do you figure i'm contagious for? not having sex sucks...
4) should i go do cryo again even if there seems to be no "active" lesions like they were before (ie, looking like white headed pimples?)

thank you so much in advance, hope you can help, these things are ruining my life.

Offline biker

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 08/04/2008 15:53:38 »
hi dash

i sympathise with you, the age of 21 is when you want to get out and do things.. every week that you have something like this must be like an eternity

you didnt give any indication how long it`s been since you first got the symptoms.  the initial outburst are very intense then it sort of settles down; after a month or 6 weeks your immunity should be getting the better of it (you`ll know because you`ll feel your beginning to win)..  i`d say if you are getting scabbing then those spots are dead or struggling.. this should get better;

once you feel you are improving it should manifest itself in a fairly rapid clear-up, before your holiday..  (hope its a sunny hol you`re planning because all that extra vitamin D and sunshine will probably clear it completely)

Offline irritated60

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 11/04/2008 15:28:11 »
I have had mc for over 14 months - not sure where I caught it from - on inner left thigh - funnily enough it has not spread to right thigh, nor have the 6 bumps changed in number or size.  Over 14 mths have tried to ignore them - 3 GP's said to ignore it too.  But occasionally eczema cropped up beside the bumps with itching.  I came onto the web last week and started reading up about mc and decided to hit it with apple cider vinegar for 24 hours.  Kept it on with bandaids and silver duct tape.  When I removed the dressing,  some of the bumps looked dark and I thought new ones had cropped up. Also skin was very sore- probably reacted to the bandaids- and has been VERY sore for 4 days.  Keep dabbing with apple cider vinegar and have just applied witch hazel.  Not sure at this stage if I shouldn't have just left it all alone.  Keep sterilizing the toilet seat as worried about spreading it to family members.  If it works and all is clear well have been worth while, but it is being a very long week! Anyone have any thoughts if I am doing this right, and why it hasnt spread to my other leg? (not that I want it to!)

Offline beccachino

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 26/04/2008 09:20:28 »
hi,

I'm a 19 year-old female whose been battling with mollescum contagiosm for about 6 months. All of the bumps have been on my buttocks, and the doctor I've gone to keeps saying at my age the main way to get these is through sexual activity, which I've never engaged in.

Even worse, I just went in for the 5th time and had them frozen with liquid nitrogen. A few of them have flattened and appear to be a dark red, one is still kind of puffy, and I've just discovered 2 new ones.

I've been using the prescription "Aldara" for quite some time, and while it keeps the mollescum from getting much worse, it's extremely painful and hasn't made very dramatic changes.

I heard that Thuja pills/cream works very well in getting rid of the bumps. I recently bought both of these and was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback. I was also wondering if anyone knows whether or not the Thuja cream works better than "Aldara." Even if the thuja applicant is painful, I'm more than willing to try it if it gets the job done.

Sorry this ramble is so long. I just feel like all of my previous treatments haven't really done much and am desperate to get rid of them. Any advice would be incredibly appreciated. Thank you!

Offline Fusuu

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 26/04/2008 20:36:37 »
ALOE VERA GEL!!!

I have had molluscum since early September or late August.  I may not have it anymore.  I first used a product called Molluscuderm (about $60 a bottle, of which I needed two), which does not seem to be sold anymore (I don't know what happend to their company's website, Virabiotics).  The product did work, it seems, and my molluscum went away either early or mid-December.  About two weeks ago in April, I noticed a few small bumps on my lower stomach area, near my genitals.  I cannot be sure if this was molluscum returning or not, but if I had to guess, it was.  I researched a bit further and came across a post on Amazon about using Aloe Vera gel (the company is Lily of the Desert).  Apparently, it rid someone's or their child's molluscum in two weeks.  The next day, I went to Whole Foods and picked this product up.  It is a fairly huge bottle for under $7.  I shook the bottle, scooped up about a teaspoon of the stuff and rubbed it into every little papule.  Did it twice a day for two weeks.  Now they are all gone.  This method may not work for everyone, but it seems to have worked for me.  And it is extremely cheap, comfortable and the product is completely natural and does leave a smell.  There is a juice version and a gel version; get the gel version.  Lily of the Desert's aloe vera gel is organic and pure aloe vera, so I think it would not be quite the same if you applied an aloe vera moisturizer, cream or the like.  Aloe vera is also known to be anti-viral, so it makes sense that it may work.  Before you try anything, try this!

LILY OF THE DESERT ALOE VERA GEL

Offline crayola110

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 29/04/2008 20:24:26 »
MEN... be careful with tea-tree oil. It has been known to increase estrogen levels in men sometimes leading to female traits like small breasts.

Heres an article from the BBC: newbielink:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6318043.stm [nonactive]
you can also google search other articles there are many.

What's worked for me is using the over the counter wart or callous/corn remover. It's usually like 15% sacylic acid and will burn the warts.  Also going into the Dermotologist and getting them frozen really helps.  Also buy some Betadine (10% iodine) solution to dab on the warts because iodine will kill the virus.

Also the pricking method which is above works too... just make sure you do it right and use lots of Betadine/iodine to keep them from infecting you more.

You can get most of the above from a drug store.
« Last Edit: 29/04/2008 20:28:21 by crayola110 »

Offline crayola110

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 29/04/2008 20:32:41 »
1) are they dead when they look like this?
2) how long will it take for the scabbing to go away? is there any prescription meds i can get to speed up this process (going to the beach in 6 weeks and really dont want it to be an issue)
3) how long do you figure i'm contagious for? not having sex sucks...
4) should i go do cryo again even if there seems to be no "active" lesions like they were before (ie, looking like white headed pimples?)
1. not necessarily, after they scab and fall off a small one can form underneath. get some betadine/iodine to apply after you pop them to prevent spread
2. as long as a normal scab to heal
3. it can be several wks to years depending on your immune system.
4. yes keep up the cryo/ freezing... it helped mine. 

how are yours anyways? any updates?

Offline viper72888

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 01/05/2008 00:00:01 »
Someone please help me..Im a 19 year old college student...Ive had Molluscum on my pubic region for almost four months not and it had spread to my penis.....Its a living hell...I only have about 10 of them but i cant take this anymore...My doctor was treating my by burning and freezing them but when they spread to my penis he put me on aldara...and i dont think it works at all....I also use zymaderm between the aldara treatments and i just cant get rid of this....ive also tries alo vera it dosnt work....Please im desperate....Im depressed and its all i can think about....my grades in school have even slipped....I need a cure for this....anything would help...Also would smoking mary J hurt?....also what should i wash with....i heard keep it dry.....im also taking collodial silver and olive leaf extract for my immune system....I just wish this would go away   im getting close to my last straw

Also....can i mix freezing with the aldara...my dr. said no, but by now i think hees an asshole
« Last Edit: 01/05/2008 00:20:56 by viper72888 »

Offline viper72888

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 01/05/2008 00:21:59 »
Someone please help me..Im a 19 year old college student...Ive had Molluscum on my pubic region for almost four months not and it had spread to my penis.....Its a living hell...I only have about 10 of them but i cant take this anymore...My doctor was treating my by burning and freezing them but when they spread to my penis he put me on aldara...and i dont think it works at all....I also use zymaderm between the aldara treatments and i just cant get rid of this....ive also tries alo vera it dosnt work....Please im desperate....Im depressed and its all i can think about....my grades in school have even slipped....I need a cure for this....anything would help...Also would smoking mary J hurt?....also what should i wash with....i heard keep it dry.....im also taking collodial silver and olive leaf extract for my immune system....I just wish this would go away   im getting close to my last straw

Also....can i mix freezing with the aldara...my dr. said no, but by now i think hees an asshole

Offline beccachino

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: 04/05/2008 22:19:13 »
hey, I can definitely relate to how you feel. what I did that seemed to work was get them frozen with liquid nitrogen (which it sounds like you've had done). then after a few days when they seemed to have healed I started applying this cream called Thuja ointment for warts by Boiron. I've also been taking 30cc thuja occidentalis pills. I take 3 of them 3 times a day. the package says to take 5, but 3 seems to be working fine. and you can get both of them at Vitamin Cottage. I was using Aldara for a while too, and nothing was happening. but I've been doing this method for about a week and all the spots are less than half the size they were before. and the thuja doesn't burn like Aldara does. hope this works for you as well. good luck!

Offline rebeca

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 13/05/2008 13:38:48 »
hello; i'm new to this forum; i was quite relaxed about mc when my 2 yr old daughter got it, as most of the reviews i read were saying they go away with time etc; i am now getting quite anxious; i tried zyma... but NO result at all!! i began to squeeze them (only the big ones for now, as she wouldn't let me touch the others; it's quite painful 4 her); and on top of everything, my daughter scratched herself somehow, and the biggest molluscum is now "decapitated"; does any of you know - will there remain any scar?? please help! i will buy the teatree oil now and try, and will let you know how it goes

Offline biker

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 14/05/2008 13:19:11 »
try the teatree oil by all means, i dont think it did anything for me except keep the lesions wetted (which doesnt help)also it can sting sensitive skin and whatever you do dont combine it with anything else (creams, powders etc) as it can react with them...  the tendency is to bombard the mc with eveything and anything in panic and this can make it worse

my thoughts are to keep everything powder dry and rub cuticura medicated talc into the lesions especially the decapitated ones this will also relieve the symptoms..  try putting her on a half zinc tablet daily and go on the thuji30 tablets (available from holland and barret)

there will be no long term scarring

Offline viper72888

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 14/05/2008 15:03:15 »
Good news....the aldara seemed to work....i used it for about 2 weeks and then went back to my doctor....the aldara made all of them come out so there were about 30....i then had him burn them off one by one and he told me to stop taking the aldara...I continued to use it on skin that i was scared may be developing into mc for two more treatments....The next week i got all red and puffy and itched like heck....i thought i had poison ive, but in a week when it passed so did all the mc....But now about a week later i think i might see one or possibly two....what should i do!!!!

Offline biker

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 23/05/2008 15:48:06 »
yep the tiny tiny bumps are them coming through

as you say, just sterilise a pin (stick it in the gas hob flame) them pop the little critters

squeeze out anything you can until blood runs quite freely then press a dry tissue firmly onto it, the bleeding will stop quite quickly

afterwards, rub some cuticura medicated talc in to dry them up and treat them

there will be no permanent scarring

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #199 on: 23/05/2008 15:48:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums