The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?  (Read 1466819 times)

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?
« Reply #25 on: 21/01/2005 18:45:14 »
mmm, it's a tough one. Molluscum is a pox virus (related to smallpox actually) and is very infectious. But it takes time for your body to mount an effective immune response and kick it out.

Viruses are hard to shift because they grow in our own cells. That makes it very hard for drugs to be made capable of telling the virus from a healthy cell. With bacteria it's easy because they are so different to our own cells so drugs can readily to targeted to attack just the bug not the host.

It will clear up, unless there is a specific immune problem that is making you susceptible, although if you are otherwise in very good health that sounds unlikely.

Best

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline rolans

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11/07/2005 15:34:19 »
Hi-

Urine cures molluscum!! My 2 year old son had molluscum. I treated it with his own urine. It worked very fast, within a week it started to clear up.
What happened was he somehow contracted this nasty little virus perhaps at his doctors? It started slow but over some weeks it got worse and he suffered. It would spread in its typical way up from his belly. It got to his neck and now I began to really panic. What if it got on his face? I did an extensive search for a cure and naturally I assumed there would be a simple over the counter remedy. Boy was I wrong, the more research I did the more I was shocked that no one had a real solution for molluscum and that so many people have and live with molluscum.
What I found was the usual wait till it goes away crap or get some sort of vague complex treatment that would traumatize my kid. My wife called her father in Mongolia and he suggested the urine for a cure. After my son would pee in his pamper we would rub him with the pee wet pamper. What I do remember is that while he had molluscum it would never spread below his pampers and I had feared that it would spread to his penis and rectum. It never did due to the fact that urine was the barrier. In Asia urine is used for curing many blood related illness. Chingis Khan Used forms of this treatment to stay healthy.  
Please try it for all ages.

Roland        
:D:D:D:D

Offline somanypickle

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16/07/2005 08:45:27 »
I sure hope you're right because I'm about to put my head between my legs!

Offline ashwynne

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29/10/2005 03:55:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by vickie

anyone any ideas any home remedies for molluscum.

My 16-month-old was diagnosed with molluscum two weeks ago.  He had the spots all over one arm, with a few on his legs and face.  The pediatrician said not to worry about them (yeah, right!).  Anyway, I read online about a study that showed that breast milk kills the papilloma virus in normal warts (in most cases, the warts disappeared after the second treatment).  Fortunately, my son is still nursing, and, even though it's a different virus, I decided to give it a try.  The spots were noticeably smaller after the first treatment (I covered them with Band-aids soaked in breast milk at first, and later just dabbed the milk on and left them uncovered).  Now they are almost all gone.  Of course, there's no way of knowing if they would have disappeared without treatment in the same time frame, and I know breast milk isn't terribly easy to come by if you're not breastfeeding, but if you're in a similar situation, it's definitely worth a try.  Hope it helps!

Offline cray

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05/12/2005 13:29:08 »
I seem to have molluscum contagiosum, although my dr diagnosed me with some sort of wart that kids get, she said just try using some wart acid treatment (yeh it works, but i have napalm burns now), i think Dr's know **** all now i ignore there advice. i still got one or 2 of them after 2 months of blizting them around my groin, pretty much in the path that i would scratch, its so embarressing as i am 25, and i have girls lining up to have sex with me, although i probably caught this from the swimming baths. Its odd though because my last girlfriend really ground on that area (for about 4 months) and never had them or got them, but i suppose she was immune or something.

Its so hard to get rid of though :( i might try the pee remedy

Offline laurenm

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07/12/2005 04:32:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by July18thsparkler

To Vickie,

I feel I can really relate to you on this topic, I feel so bad about your daughter and that guy's grandson. Children are just so vulnerable to everything and I can only imagine how devestated you are that you can't seem to get any answers. My name is Amanda and I am 19 years old and was diognosed with Molluscum. Unlike the majority of the people my age I didn't contract this virus through sexual activity and permisquity. I was devasted when I found out that I had gotten this, because I pride myself of being a clean person - most of all i have no idea what to tell my fiance, how do you tell the man your about to marry that you have contracted an STI (sexually transmitted infection), but didn't get it by haveing sex. I've had this since september of 2004 and have done my homework on it. i have found that there are not many very good or easy treatments, although i did like the results of a treatment called cimetdine when i read about it. But that the thing there are treatments that physicians can do but they won't treat them, it's extremely frustrating for me because my doctor told me that there are treatment but she doesn't treat them, and i'm no acception. i am extremely outraged because the longer i have these lesions the greater the risk of me giving this to someone else, unintentionally of coarse, personally i don't wish this upon anyone. My doctor said it will go away, but it's getting worse and harder to control, i said to her, but that really didn't matter it seemed. i constantly live in fear of giving this to someone else. Why have treatments if no one will treat you. Are you having this problem in communication with your daughters physician.

sincerely,
Amanda

Amanda Neal

Offline jimkat01

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07/12/2005 15:17:28 »
My youngest battled this for most of the summer.  She has eczema and those pesky bumps would appear where she had her break outs.  
I took her to the dermatologist 1x month and he put this plant extract on.  Once this dried for 6 hours then I would bath her and they would become blisters and the contagious part would come out.  
She was a real trooper!  She did great.  This took about 5 times but now she is molluscum free. (knock on wood)
Good luck to you all!

-Kat

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07/12/2005 16:24:25 »
That is fantastic news Kat, and as you said..what a trooper your yongest was...well done !

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Parismaison

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15/12/2005 00:47:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by rolans

Hi-

Urine cures molluscum!! My 2 year old son had molluscum. I treated it with his own urine. It worked very fast, within a week it started to clear up.
What happened was he somehow contracted this nasty little virus perhaps at his doctors? It started slow but over some weeks it got worse and he suffered. It would spread in its typical way up from his belly. It got to his neck and now I began to really panic. What if it got on his face? I did an extensive search for a cure and naturally I assumed there would be a simple over the counter remedy. Boy was I wrong, the more research I did the more I was shocked that no one had a real solution for molluscum and that so many people have and live with molluscum.
What I found was the usual wait till it goes away crap or get some sort of vague complex treatment that would traumatize my kid. My wife called her father in Mongolia and he suggested the urine for a cure. After my son would pee in his pamper we would rub him with the pee wet pamper. What I do remember is that while he had molluscum it would never spread below his pampers and I had feared that it would spread to his penis and rectum. It never did due to the fact that urine was the barrier. In Asia urine is used for curing many blood related illness. Chingis Khan Used forms of this treatment to stay healthy.  
Please try it for all ages.

Roland        
:D:D:D:D

Offline Parismaison

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15/12/2005 00:52:37 »
I've heard from many elderlies that urine stops bleeding from fresh cuts but I didn't know it can cure molluscum. I'll be sure to try it on my daughter when her results comes in and IS molluscum contagiosum.

Offline rikuk

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01/01/2006 13:28:00 »
I have molluscum, my doc diagnosed it as thrush first, cream for which cost a fortune, and didn't work.

I am curently getting treatment from my local GUM clinic,  freezing the individual spots with liquid nitrogen combined with salt baths, a bit painfull, but it seems to be working (thank god), but scaring too. my girlfriend has been incredably suportive considering the location of the infection.

Through my own research on the net i have found there are a number of places you can catch it from, like swimming, hot tubs, gym equipment, toilet seats... etc as well as sexually transmitted (we havent had sex for about 2 months now)

How the hell do I stop myself being infected again without giving myself an obsessive compulsive disorder? I bought some alcohol hand cleanser to keep with me, just incase I touch someone!

I'm gona try the urine too, although it does seem a little wierd. and also an old wifes tail, using the cooled water from boiling eggs (worked on a wart i had a few year ago)

Do some people have more chance of catching these? as i have had warts and verucas in the past.

My First Post :-)

Rik UK

You are what you eat...... i am a pizza

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01/01/2006 13:59:24 »
Hi

Try this, I am certain it will work, has been tried and tested in my family for many years now and does not fail.

clear nail varnish, use coloured nail varnish also if not in visible places. Paint over warts, let dry, then re coat. repeat as the warts shrink and the varnish becomes loosened, scrape off the old varnish and re apply.

about a week and they will be completely gone, will not leave a scar, and appear to stay away. this is with normal warts however, so I don't know for sure that it will address your own condition by maintaining protection for long periods, but then neither do you unless you try it.

Please come back and tell us how you get on with using nail varnish

Have a great new year;)

Andrew

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"
« Last Edit: 01/01/2006 14:19:59 by Andrew K Fletcher »

Offline rikuk

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02/01/2006 17:41:21 »
Due to the location, nail varnish would be very uncomfortable, tried the pee thing thou, and started using tea tree oil.

There was a marked improvement on day 1 !

pee and salt baths for me for a bit, 3 times a day and tea tree oil aplications :-) hope i don't smell like the old people on the bus!

Rik UK

Offline rikuk

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02/01/2006 17:43:38 »
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ME :)

How the hell do I stop myself being infected again without giving myself an obsessive compulsive disorder? I bought some alcohol hand cleanser to keep with me, just incase I touch someone!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Jstar

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 04/01/2006 02:29:33 »
I believe i have MCV and am VERY stressed about it. What very little sexual activity i had has now ceased, im afraid of being around friends and in their homes, and i feel like i have to be covered at all times. I have sensative skin, and the itching of the MCV it hard to bear, thus some of my bumps are scratched open. My case has spread rather quickly in my trunk and stomach area, although it started on my arm - which leads me to believe that it wasnt sexually contracted since i know my partners very well. Im about to spread my own pee all over my body - is it safe if some of the lesions are open?

Offline Theubiquitousmrslovegrove

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 07/01/2006 23:51:57 »
I have been battling molluscum for almost a year now. I'm almost 100% sure that I didn't get it from sexual activity. Anyway, it is my understanding that once all of the lesions are gone the virus is supposed to be out of your body or that you'll at least never have another recurrence again. Well, I quit smoking and drinking about a month and a half ago and as far I could tell those damn things finally went away. So I decided to do a little experiment. For the past 3 days I've been drinking and smoking, losing sleep. The works. Got drunk 2 nights in a row. Took a night off then got WASTED last night. Had a little look-see at the genital region and lo and behold, new lesions. Does this mean that anytime my immune system becomes compromised in any way that I'll start breaking out with these things??? I mean, they're popping up in parts of the boxer shorts region that weren't affected at all before. I'm beginning to lose all hope that I'll ever be completely rid of this virus. I thought it was supposed to go away. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting desperate.

Offline suze

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 13/01/2006 22:37:24 »
Just passing on some possible treatments. Spent a long night last night panicking and desperately looking on the internet for something that would help me to treat my 7 year old daughter who is suffering from molluscum. She has had it since summer 2005 but it has now appeared on her face and neck and her schoolfriends have started to notice. Anyway, I am about to try her with a homeopathic remedy called molkosan which you put directly on the lumps and also I am giving her echinaforce to boost her immune system along with vitamin c and zinc. This has appeared to work on other children. I have also seen another homeopathic remedy mentioned called zymaderm and also something called thuja. You could also try condylox - I think you have to get this via a dermatologist and also the anti-histamine drug called cimetidine has worked for some. Funnily enough my daughter was taking cimetidine for an allergy up until the summer of last year and then she came off it - this is when the molluscum appeared but I didn't connect the two and I am wondering now if the cimetidine was holdong back the appearance of the molluscum? Anyway, hope this helps,
Good luck
Suze
:)

Offline TOPOLINOGIGI

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 18/01/2006 09:26:22 »
MOLLUSCUM I TREATED MY DAUGHTER 4 YEARS OF AGE.
SHE HAD A LOT ON HER KNEES ANYWAYS WE TRIED THE FREEZING BUT DIN'T WORK DID A LOT OF RESEARCH AND FINALLY I USED THE DUOFILM PACTHES I BOUGHT AT LONGS DRUGS I PUT THE DISCS OVER THE WART AND THEN THE BANDAGE LEAVE ON 3 DAYS OR MORE AND THEN TAKE OFF IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE A BLISTER THEN DIP A Q TIP WITH HYDROGEN PEROXIDE AND APPLY TO WART REALLY GOOD AIMING FOR THE CENTER WHERE THE WHITE PIMPLE IS AND POP IT. SHOULD GO AWAY WITHIN A WEEK
BE CAREFULL AND ASK DOCTOR IF IT IS OKAY MANY KIDS /PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT SKIN AND REACTIONS.

Offline LightWarrior

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 19/01/2006 23:23:35 »
I have four children and 3 of them got a molluscum contagiosum. The recommended treatment included "burning" them using a biological acid. I decided to try a different approach an gave them colloidal silver, both orally and topically. As many other viruses, bacteria and fungii related diseases, it completely dissapeared
in a couple weeks. Since then (a couple years ago) we are all taking a teaspoon as a preventive. We don't even remember what a cold is!. The generator we used can be found at newbielink:http://www [nonactive].
Good luck to all of you who want to try it!
« Last Edit: 24/08/2007 21:31:44 by ukmicky »

Offline nwlady

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21/01/2006 04:29:10 »

My 3 year old has molluscum on his chest .  I just got the herbal remedy mentioned below in the mail.  After one application, his bumps are turning red and look to be drying.  He complained that it hurt when I put in on the second time (I think it burns a bit).  Anyway, I'm seeing quicker results than with the Retin-A given to me by our doctor.  Check out this website (forces of nature) -- the testimonials seem rather convincing.  I can't wait to see if this stuff works.

Re: Treating Molluscum Contagiosum with Retin-A

Posted By: SHARON S. WALLACE
Date: Tuesday, 6 September 2005, at 9:58 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Treating Molluscum Contagiosum with Retin-Ai (Lisa)

> HELP, my 2 year old daughter has had molluscum for 5 months now. She Is
> also a sufferer of excema. How do we get rid of these bumps? She has 50 of
> them at least all over her belly, armpit, and groin areas. They get red,
> infected and itch her at times. Dr said she is too young to treat them in
> other ways, so we are to let them run their course. They are awful and I
> am desperate to find out what works. Does retin-a. Please let me know any
> success stories of this med. I will ask the Dr for it if it works. Help

newbielink:http://www.forces-of-nature.net/molluscum/testimonials.htm [nonactive]

Read our testimony about our son. He is 8 and they were on his face and this molluscum no more all natural was the only thing that worked. The 2nd day i noticed that thery were very red and then the 4th day day started to scab and fall off. I am probably the happiest mom ever. They were so ugly and even though its strong(medicine) it worked. We also tried comfrey and that was slow working, We applied(molluscum no more) 3 times daily with a Q tip.
hope this helps.
Sharon

Offline girl

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 31/01/2006 21:48:06 »
hi everyone
I am 19 years old and i have no idea how i got this ****ty virus.  one night last february i drank a lot and the last thing i remember is clearing off my bed to go to sleep, the next morning my underwear and sheets were on my roommates chair and my bra was on backwards.  since i go to college its kind of hard to figure out who came into my room and what happened.  well, sure enough a couple weeks later i saw them.  i have tried everything.  compound w, freezing, tricholoacetic acid, aldara, URINE.... nothing works...  i am currently trying zymaderm.  ive been using it for about a week now and i havent really noticed any changes but ill keep you posted.  i ordered it off amazon.com and the company that makes it guarentees you a refund if it doesnt work in 90 days, way too long but whatever.  also if it doesnt work in 60 theyll send you a bodywash to try and boost it.  it was like $40 and smells kinda herbally but its harmless and painless.  ill keep you posted on what happens but if anyone has any words of wisdom i'd appreciate it.

helpless

ionntag

« Reply #46 on: 01/03/2006 17:54:24 »
^has your molluscum been affected by the zymaderm any by this point?

I has recently contracted the molluscum virus.  I have not been sexually active since the summer of 2005, so I am at a lost where the virus cam from.  Are there any users who has used the remedies provided in this thread successfully??

Offline girl

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 01/03/2006 17:58:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by ionntag

^has your molluscum been affected by the zymaderm any by this point?

I has recently contracted the molluscum virus.  I have not been sexually active since the summer of 2005, so I am at a lost where the virus cam from.  Are there any users who has used the remedies provided in this thread successfully??

no i dont think it's working... this sucks so much, i havent been able to be sexually active for over a year now and i dont know how this is going to go away

ionntag

« Reply #48 on: 01/03/2006 19:25:00 »
I just ordered the ZymaDerm and am praying that it works. I hope yours clears up soon!

On the subject of warts in general, when i was 16, I had a very large plantars wart on my food.  I was told to get the juice of milkweed, place it on there and let it dry.  After a month of that, I kid you not, the wart vanished and never returned.

Offline darkbone

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 12/03/2006 22:34:41 »
I had a brutal case of molluscum on my genitals.  I had over 200 lesions and they were extremely painful.  I tried going to the dermatologist and they were useless.  They didn't even treat them.  I then tried Aldara, which just turned the bad ones into open sores.  I tried Zymaderm, which I am quite convinced is a huge scam and then, in desperation after 3 months, I tried the Phillips Molluscum System.  Within 3 weeks of using this machine, I am molluscum free.  I can't believe it, but it worked.  I treated the lesions very aggressively.  I was on a 3 times per day regiment.  Don't believe the scammers on the Zymaderm website talking about how this system won't work.  It will!  I wish that I had gotten it as soon as I was diagnosed.  If you are affected emotionally and physically like I was, get this machine!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #49 on: 12/03/2006 22:34:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length