The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?  (Read 1464981 times)

Offline sealegs

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?
« Reply #275 on: 02/09/2009 19:36:34 »
Ok, so finally after a lot of different home treatments, my molluscum was gone, or so it seemed.  My wife now is showing signs of molluscum.  We have only been together a short time, and didn't start sleeping together until my molluscum dissapeared.  But 6 months later she now has a few bumps. 

Are we just going to continue to pass it back and forth to eachother now?

Does it affect a woman differently at all?  Internally?

We are going to be trying to have a baby soon and I don't want this to complicate things.

Any experts out there with some answers?  I greatly appreciate it and this forum in general.

Thanks to all

Offline sealegs

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?
« Reply #276 on: 14/09/2009 15:22:22 »
bump...no pun intended

Offline justincousin

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: 21/09/2009 22:25:48 »
Hi. I have never posted to one of these forums before, however having just dealt with Molluscum I thought I would try to impart some advice / thoughts of my experience.

I'm in my 30's and slept with a friend of mine and I ended up getting molluscum from her. I had some little red bumps and I continued to shave over them in my pubic area, not knowing what they were. When I finally figured out what they were, I freaked out a bit since I have never ever had anything like this ever.  :)  Luckily, after about 4 months they have gone away. Here are some tips / thoughts about what worked and what didn't work for me.

• Shaving over the bumps definitely made them spread. Don't shave or trim your pubic area when you have this

• I read about the Apple Cider Vinegar trick and putting in on with a small piece of cotton and leaving it on with a band aid over the molluscum for a few days to kill it.  This did not work for me. In fact, the Apple Cider Vinegar burned the skin in my pubic region quite badly and it took several months for the redness to go away. I would really be careful if you are using ACV.

•Also, if you are using ACV or any other product like Tree Tea Oil, be careful not to get it on other areas of your skin in the genital region. I accidentally dripped some ACV on my scrotum and it burned quite a bit. So, if you are a guy, just be very careful not to do more harm in this area! ; )

What I found did work for me was the following:

Wearing plastic gloves, I would take a toothpick and soak the tip of the toothpick in alcohol. I would then pop the molluscum and get the little yellow center out. Be careful with this center portion. Immediately get it off of your skin and throw it away. The molluscum with then bleed quite a bit! This is normal and would happen even if they were very small.  Just take a cotton ball soaked in alcohol or peroxide and hold it over it for a bit until the bleeding stops.  You may have to repeat this several times. The molluscum hole with then heal with in a few days and disappear slowly over the next week or two.  Popping them this way really helped me get rid of them. They would not going away on their own at all.

I also had a few removed by my dermatologist. This worked fine as well, however popping them as I mentioned above also did the trick.

These things have such a life of their own and spread like crazy. I'm lucky in that they have all pretty much disappeared, however this only happened after I started getting rid of each one (however small) as they popped up.

Just keep your hands washed and wear a pair of gloves when popping them.

Hope this helps some of you. Best of luck to getting rid of these things. I had never even heard about them and it was quite an ordeal. I'm just hoping they don't return.

Justin

p.s. I tried zymaderm and this did not work for me. It also burned my skin. I know some folks have great success with this, however my skin did not tolerate that product.

Offline livingfancy

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: 28/09/2009 07:37:02 »
Hello all, first time posting on this forum, just wanted to share my molluscum experience, since reading other's stories was a comfort to me while I was suffering through this very annoying experience.
I first noticed three raised bumps on my pubis area a few months ago and went to the doctor to have it checked out. I undoubtedly got it from a sexual partner, although I've no clue, as the two girls I was sleeping with ardently deny having any symptoms, which leaves me a bit baffled. the doctor seemed unsure about it, ran a herpes test which came back negative and then we left it alone for a while. I returned back a couple weeks later because it was spreading (the spreading happened the morning after I tried a night of ACV treatment, incidentally) the doctor then referred me to a dermatologist who confirmed my beliefs that I had molluscum. Then I got the pleasure of cryotherapy which left me with a dozen or so unseemly blisters. The next week or so I watched as the virus spread and more bumps began to appear and spread, so I scheduled another appointment at the dermatologists and got more of them frozen off. The day after this I saw that they were still spreading, and to places I had hoped they would not spread(penis, thighs). Not wanting to return to the dermatologist as I absolutely detested the idea of a huge blister on my penis, I started looking for alternatives. the one that caught my eye was lemon myrtle essential oil, I was very interested after I read the study linking it to 90% recovery rate. I did however note that the study was done on children, who contract MCV-1, and I had the STD form MCV-2, so I wasn't sure if there was going to be a difference in results... desperate for an alternative though, I ordered a bottle from a local supplier (hooray for austin texas) and waited as I watched the bumps spread and grow larger. Then something amazing happened! The lemon myrtle showed up and I noticed results after ONE NIGHT of treatment. smaller bumps disappeared and the larger ones dramatically reduced in size. A week or so after irregular nightly treatments, and I am cautiously proclaiming myself cured. Sources recommend a 10% dilution, however I started with a 25% and worked my way up to 33% by the second night. It burns a bit with that concentration, and I can imagine how some with more sensitive skin would find it unpleasant, but it was manageable and the higher concentrations are probably more effective. So I guess to wrap it all up, lemon myrtle essential oil was amazingly effective for me. Cryotherapy was rubbish and I sincerely hope my frozen skins heals and doesn't leave scars, although it appears that I may be left with faint ones. I really wish I had held off on the gungho freezing treatment and tried a less aggressive treatment first... Oh well, I am just happy to be recovering. To those still afflicted, give lemon myrtle a try, and keep up your hope, you will win against this nuisance in the end :)
Ohhh and I also started drinking hellacious amounts of green tea a few days before I started the lemon myrtle treatment, I have no idea if there's a connection in my recovery, but I never underestimate the medicinal qualities of tea...

Offline Dumah

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: 07/10/2009 01:02:36 »
Hello all, as with previous posts i wanted to share my story, i have been through the mill with this thing but have finally managed to get rid of it, took approx 6 months before i suceeded though. as per previous posts it seems to be trial and error to find out what actually works for you. I tried apple cidre vinegar and it did clear up the larger ones but it always burnt and broke the skin and it spreads through broken skin, took me awhile to suss that out so i started treating each molluscum individually with apple cidre vinegar and left the skin to heal between applications, however i could never fully eliminate it as it continually came back. How i eventually beat it was by killing the large ones with apple cidre vinegar and after the skin healed using benzoyl peroxide over all infected areas of skin. What i used and im not advocating it but it worked for me is Panoxyl acnegel 10, it contains 10% benzoyl peroxide, i have used it to treat minor acne and i came across it as a treatment on another site, you have to be careful with it though, over doing it will irritate the skin, i applied it once every morning, twice  a day seems to make the skin irritated. I have been clear a few months now and each week i still apply some, i suppose just incase. anyways thats my story, it can be hard to deal with but my advice would be dont rush into it treating it with harsh treatments, try a few things until you find something what works for you and be prepared to have to wait awhile to get rid of it, at least a few months anyways, oh almost forgot be careful when showering and bathing it can spread them like mad.
« Last Edit: 07/10/2009 01:05:19 by Dumah »

Offline Dead0k

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: 16/10/2009 10:10:35 »
okay . i treated

and here is my story . ALSO RUSSIAN VERSION THERE / ТАК ЖЕ ЕСТЬ И НА РУССКОМ ЯЗЫКЕ( newbielink:http://skintreat.blog.com/2009/10/16/how-to-treat-contagious-molluscum-in-my-way-2/ [nonactive] )

ENGLISH VERSION / РУССКАЯ ВЕРСИЯ(ниже прокрути) ———————————————————————————————————————–

if u are here < u already have to know a lot about contagious molluscum from google. if no then go and read … okay, i had this contagious molluscum ( CM )  sh1t  during the whole year … first 6-9 months was a silly visit of doctors , who subscribe me treat with nitrogen and manganese ( liquid water+manganese) or maybe somtheing else picture: newbielink:http://www.samaramedprom.ru/upload/Image/fukorcin_big.jpg [nonactive]  . of course no result .. and the other 6- www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=358.225 . it helped me a lot there i took a lot of advices and start to cure myself.

my short story:  i had about  10 CM at my genitals. i was squeezing and they grow again okay . lets get ready to battle.

1.  never  underestimate the enemy ( true rule of any battle)

2. believe in ur victory. flawless victory. always. My strategy was to smiles a lot.. to think that i’m already healthy person.. and have no CM. I want to have sex .. but i can’t .. and that was my moral way to be strong.  so be strong!!!

2.1 dont  squeez them , dont shave them . You can squeez them only in one case.. if it is already want to blob out by itself

3. Your weapon. which u have to buy . to get . to stole  no  , no crime  :) it was a joke..  so here is a list:  echinacea, adhesive plaster, and the main component is thuja(thuya), multivitamins ,pure zinc pills, pure sulfur pills, liquid antibacterial soap(only liquid!!!).

instruction how to use it: - every day  15 minutes before breakfast and 15 minutes before evening meal u have to drink  echinacea. i drunk it a lot . it was about 15-20 bottles. it is very cheap.echinacea: 40 drops   in a spoon of water ( it is better to shake in glasss)

- next step every morning i have to dring one multivitamin, one zinc.

NExt morning day you have to dring one multivatamin and one sulfur pill. Here i have to say that i drunk only zinc every day, no sulphur.

- and main thing, but it would never help alone from  vitamins and echinacea - it is thuja(thuya). The story of this pill is weird but all u have to know it is a homeopathic pill. it could be bought in homeopathic pharmacy. I dont know how u will buy it. but u have to do it anyway. My way was to go to the doctor  - homeopath  - and ask him to subscribe me that pill in proportions.  so he wrote me : ” Thuja 200/10,0″ and then i bought in homeopathic pharmacy. These pills looks like small  round mini pills  . how to eat them? - 15 minutes before dinner u have to put 6 pills under your tongue and suck it untill they disappear. There were a lot of them  in bottle , so i eat them about 1.5 months.

- about tape.  dont squeeze CM  if it is not necessary,  because they againg will get on ur  skin. be careful  if u think it is time  to  squeeze. prepare iodine and lets go. do it with ur nails..  do it fast and watch the white fill (because it is exactly your CM).. squeeze until u see the blood. them wash ur hands(nails)  with water, then with medical alcohol, and burn all the sh1t wound  with iodine. put iodine on it every 30-60-120 mins.  then wash ur hand with antibacterial soap. In

SHOWER(use shower as fast aspossible, because water is a place of spreading them) (Never use baths):  never use hot water! Try to use lukewarm  water only. never shave the CM places. walk around of it. dont wash them at all . wash only it with  liquid soap! ( why liquid? because CM could get on soap and spread there.. so it wount give a result in future).

NEXT about TOWEL:  u can change towels every day. but the main idea not to wipe CM places with it.it could spread on it. wipe them with napkin. bath sponge: also dont wipe CM places with it. WASH CM Places only with hands and liquid antibacterial soap. then wash hands with   alcohol .

it took me to treat it during 2-3 moths. that is a cure . in my way. of course i tried a lot of ways.. and that was my way.. my hard way. wish you a lot of good luck. NEVER SURRENDER.  and keep an eye on your body every day

by the way. urine also help.. i always pee on CM before shower. donw laugh.. it is true
« Last Edit: 16/10/2009 10:23:58 by Dead0k »

Offline mygirl

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: 17/10/2009 23:35:50 »
I have a 6 yr old daughter that has 5-6 "spots" on her face.  They started first near her ear and the family doctor froze one off.  There is a very small scar there.  So I know I don't want to freeze any more off since they are on her face!!  The original 4-5 are gone and now spread to her chin (the 5-6 she had now).
My questions is....what is the best treatment for on her face???  I don't want to scar her!!  I am thinking the Lemon Myrtle oil or Tea Trea might be the best.  Or even vitamins/diet!?!??
Hers are just bumps that don't appear to have a center. 
I do know that when I squeezed one of the original ones it did bleed a lot and then scab up and go away.
I am just so scared to do too much since it is her FACE!!
Any thoughts would be GREAT.
Thank you.

Offline JV

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: 22/11/2009 07:58:44 »
I thought I'd share my good news about a remedy that I discovered.  My 3yr old has had hundreds (approx 200 or more) molluscum for about 6months.  Earlier this week, I started giving her Epsom Salt baths (1c Epsom salt) and letting her sit in the tub for 20-30 minutes.  Within a few days, the molluscum began to dry up and disappear. The skin began to itch, so I have been smothering all of the molluscum with A+D ointment.  Five days into this method, she has less than 40 molluscum on her body.  I check them a few times throughout the day, reapplying A+D ointment (3x total each day). The cores dry up and will fall out.   I have been trying to grab the cores when they begin to fall out with sterilized tweezers before she can itch them and spread them. They do bleed slightly when you remove them.  I blot them dry and smother the area immediately with A+D ointment.

They were on her inner thighs (almost completely gone now), her side, armpit, and inner arm where it rubbed against her side.  The inner arm and armpit completely cleared up and the ones left on her side are the ones that were the largest.  It appears they are shrinking though (fingers crossed).  They dried up and disappeared fastest on her thighs which were submerged in the Epsom salt bath.  The ones on her side near her armpit where I had to splash the water onto are disappearing at a slightly slower rate.

It has been such a miserable and frustrating experience the past 6 months, the doctor told me they would eventually go away. I wanted to share this with other people who may be desperate for a solution and don't want to expose their children to any chemical treatment or wait for years for them to go away. 

I have no affiliation to A+D, just wanted to pass this along and hopefully it will work for someone else. I will update whether they completely disappeared or not.

Offline Dead0k

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: 02/12/2009 12:06:30 »
yeah.  you may also try my few updated advices with meat and acetic essence . full info in my blog newbielink:http://skintreat.blog.com/ [nonactive] . pls dont pass it

Offline swall

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: 07/12/2009 03:43:40 »
I went to a homeopathic doctor for my kids, who three of the four had molluscum, she prescribed medorrhinum, they are small homeopathic pellets to dissolve under the tongue. I treated my kids with these, the two older ones cleared up from one treatment, my three year old had them badly and I gave him ten more pellets. They have all cleared up except the largest one on his side and it has now scabbed over and is disappearing. Thanks to homeopathic remedies! I am sure that others have had success with different things, but wanted to share ours with you. Good luck!

Offline pebbles

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: 15/01/2010 21:30:35 »
My dear daughter has them all around her nostrils and chin and eyes and she is 8.It is extremely noticable and upsetting for all and her self esteem has suffered as children and parents comments are just so cruel.She has eczema and asthma also so has low immune system...also allegies so cannot use plant extracts or band aids and plasters or much else.....Im at my wits end and doc says it will go in 2 to 5 yrs she had it 1 yr so hey-ho only 4 more to go [:(!]....the things she tells me other childen are saying are horrible...I want to go up to them and have a go at them for being so cruel.....Im just so worried,someone please please help me or more to the point my daughter I simply cannot rest with this answer of doing nothing :(
Thanks Megsmum

Offline JV

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: 17/01/2010 22:45:31 »
Happy to report that all of my daughter's Molluscum are gone.  I hope the treatment I used helps others.  We thought there was no end in sight! What a relief they are all gone!!

Offline 1fandango1

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: 28/01/2010 00:48:01 »

Hi all,
        i have been reading all the posts with regards to molluscum contagiosum,  My son developed excema as a result of a change in washing powder and the next thing we know, he has these pearly white spots within the eczema which didn't disappear when we treated the skin with the usual creams.
He was diagnosed quickly wih molluscum contagiosum but the damage had already been done as he shared a bath with my other two children.
I now have three children with the condition, we've tried duct tape, nail varnish, wart acid, lavendar oil, tee tree oil,etc etc.

I have been horrified by some of the people taking advantage of the distress caused by the social implications of having such a visual disease and the lack of understanding gp's seem to have about the emotional difficulty experienced living with an unsightly and publicaly suspected contagious disease.

Yes, i am grateful for the disease being non life threatening or serious in medical terms, however although i now know about this condition, general joe bloggs does not and fear makes people behave in insensitive and hugely damaging ways-particularly children and their parents.

My daughter has an oubreak on her face and it terrifies me since i have seen and heard reactions to my children at the beach or in the swimming pool.

I think i'll try the saltwater and vinager baths to see if this helps, can't convince the kids to try the urine option, may try the lemon oil- anyone had any success o this forum with it?

my very best to all the sufferers out there, may we all find a solution that works!!!

Offline Bre

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: 30/03/2010 23:23:53 »
My two kids, now ages 2 and 4 both have MC.  I can't tell you how many websites I read telling me different thing to try to get rid of them.  I tried quite a few, including tea tree oil (which my kids hated the smell of), apple cider vinegar (which burned them), acne medications-none seemed to work that well.  Their MC looked a little better, but they didn't go away.  I finally decided I was willing to spend the money and try one of the many MC medications they have online.  I've heard Poxiderm works well, but it's $60/oz.  I found another that wasn't quite as expensive and it was guranteed to work.  It's called Terrasil (previously Tetrasil-I think?)and it's working wonders!  My son only had a few MC, but he now only has 1 left after 10 days of using this!  My daughter probably had close to 100 MC bumps, and all but about 10 or so are gone!  It's amazing!  I highly recommend this treatment.  It's all natural, and has a pleasant smell, so my kids aren't trying to fight me to put it on them!  If anyone is as frustrated with MC as I was, please check this out.  And if for some reason it doesn't work, at least you tried, and you can get your money back!

Offline nopaintreatment.com

• First timers
  • WE CAN BEAT Eczema & Molluscum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: 03/04/2010 06:08:23 »
Crowsnest, I'm curious if the wash comes with it? I've ordered it off Amazon.

We purchased Zymaderm from drugstore.com, it did not come with the wash, it was only after we called Zymaderm and said it was not working that they sent it.  It was a very small bottle.

Offline veller

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: 07/04/2010 03:26:04 »
 I got this when my girl friend went on vacation-I hooked up with a girl slept in bed with her and she got naked but no sex-but she was grinding on me. Then I came down with it. My doctor had to look it up in a book. It was a bad sign when he gloved up. I got something from the pharmacy-maybe salicilic acid-but i did not like using it.

What I did was pop each little pustle head-a little ball of white stuff cam out. I squeezed the blood out-it bled a lot like a pucture wound (a small one). I used Hydrogen peroxide. I hear there is a hyrdogen peroxide cream. I used Hydrogen peroxide out of the bottle-it bubbles up a lot. I was lucky after reading this-it was gone in three to four weeks. It is a horrible and nasty disease. But at least it goes away. it could be worse

Offline StephUK890

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: 19/04/2010 11:29:47 »
Re: WHAT IS THE TREATMENT FOR MOLLUSCUM CONTAGIOSUM
Well, thanks to everyone that has contibuted to this wealth of knowledge.  Here goes my 5 year old daughters story re. Molluscum Contagiosm (what a yuck name too - reminds me of Mollucs on the bottom of an old boat!!).
4 months ago my then GP told me it was probably ecsema - so prescribed DIPROBASE creamy lotion to be applied 3 times daily.  No change - I think the grease actually enlarged the lumps - then last week she hated the look of them so much she scratched the tops of them and caused an infection (they are apporx 20 in total, living in the crook of her right elbow - she sucks her thumb a lot, so her arm in very often bent upwards - so not allowing lots of airflow) - so I take her to my new GP and get the true diagnosis of M.C. 
What a shock - we could have all caught this virus - she shares baths with her twin Sister and clothes and has been going to school with her arm uncovered (she now wears a long sleeve white top under her school blouse so the kids don't see her lumps and the virus is covered over this cotton linament gause covered in stinky Tea Tree (her sense of smell is more sensative I guess).  Yesterday we also covered the elbow area where the lumps are with a bit of Tubigrip bandaging - which she seemed to like.
Anyway, all the previous posts about squeezing out white cores, etc. is not always possible with a terrified child - so my plan of action from today is going to be:
Tea Tree oil applied directly onto the lumps 3 times a day and especially at night (she is as school so cannot do a daytime application).  Will look into purchasing TERRASIL in the UK.  No more baths and possibly look into oral APPLE CIDER VINEGAR capsules.  I tried spraying Elastoplast Spray Plaster over the area - but it took a long time to dry, she closed her arm up (to suck her thumb) and it went very tacky and gluey.  Checked out CONDYLINE which one lady had success with went she had a holiday in Italy and the Doc out there gave it to her child - but now that I have googled it - it says it is for Genital Warts and not to be used on kids and you need it prescribed by a GP. 
Is it correct to think that I need to apply Apple Cider Vinegar onto the area via a piece of soaked gause - this will then burn the skin slightly, which will make her immune cells rush to that area and then deal with the skin level virus (as the virus does not live in her blood stream - just on the surface skin)?????
Any suggestions would be great - thank god the rest of us have not caught it in the 3-4 months she has had it - funny that??!!    Regards Steph

Offline jessapph

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: 28/05/2010 10:19:17 »
Hiya,

My ten year old son has had Molluscum spots on his leg for nearly a year now. The doctor first prescribed an acne treatment (which was useless, so I won't bother to use its name) then a cream which contained steroids (also useless). After the last batch of cream ran out one of his spots became swollen, infected and painful. I decided to try applying a herbal poultice to the sore spot. I blended together ingredients from the cupboard that are known to be good healers... Oats (1/2 cup), Thyme (4 tsp), raw Garlic (3 cloves), Sea Salt (1 tsp), Olive Oil (2tsp) with boiled Water (1/2 cup). I applied a dollop of the mixture to a cotton wool pad and which was held on his leg by a sock with the foot cut off (like a bandage). After two hours we removed the pad and all of the infected core had been drawn out into the poultice and the redness had calmed right down. After another overnight application the spot had completely healed over and with morning and night applications over the next two days it disappeared completely. Last night we decided to try the same treatment for the uninfected spots - it seems to be clearing them up. Wish I'd tried this earlier. There have been absolutely no adverse reactions to the poultice (unlike the acne treatment, which made his leg sore and scaly). All the ingredients work together to sooth, clean, soften and disinfect perfectly.
We've been storing the herbal mixture in the fridge, in a glass jar with the top of the mixture covered with clingfilm, to avoid it going off too quickly.
I'm really pleased to have finally found a way of dealing with this, so just wanted to share :o)
Jess

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: 30/05/2010 18:38:02 »
The normal resolution of these things involve going red before they resolve, so it's quite possible that your poltice didn't actually do anything; or it may have done. What you observed isn't enough to tell either way.

That's one of the problems with this disease, jumping up and turning around 3 times gives a fair chance of clearing it, it's usually self-limiting.

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: 31/05/2010 06:00:47 »
For warts/verrucas on feet a Chiropodist is what you want, it's just a question of scraping with a sharp pointy edge and using strong acid. Chiropodists have access to stronger acid than you probably do. I had a verruca removed once, and when she'd finished (after several weeks) there was a fairly deep hole in my foot, but the verucca was gone. The hole healed without a scar, and I can't even point to it anymore. The treatment was quite painful. I'd had cryo on it, but that failed.
« Last Edit: 31/05/2010 06:03:35 by wolfekeeper »

Offline FrustratedNik

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: 20/06/2010 03:23:56 »
Hey, I'm new here, I've been looking for a forum and was thrilled to find this one was so involved.  So here's my story:

I was diagnosed with MC mid-Jan of 2010, after starting a relationship only maybe 2 weeks prior.  Thought it was OVER. I hadn't had sex in probably 9 months, and am not sure how it came about.  BF told me he didn't care, we would deal with it.  (Side Note: The Dr prescribed me Aldara, told me it would go away in a few weeks, and yes, I could still have sex, which really upset me after I found out how contagious it is.)

After a few weeks of little progress, I went back with probably somewhere between 25-50 (Not sure b/c I couldn't see them), but I was on the table for almost an hr while he anesthitized, cut, squeezed and cleaned each one.  I went back two weeks later, and wasn't even sure if I had gotten any new ones; I had too many bruises and cuts I couldn't tell!  Besides, as I had heard shaving made it worse, I had stopped, which made it a bit difficult.  Turns out I had maybe 10-15 new ones.  Okay, I thought I was on the right track.

All this time I was checking my boyfriend.  I wonder if they assumed he was already infected?  I was using the Aldara at night, and tea tree oil in the am, and taking 30x thuja and multivitamins.

Third visit to the Dr: I made an emergency appmt b/c one was so large it looked like a volcano; not realizing my body was finally taking the initiative to fight it (on a good note!).  I was still beside myself to find they seemed to disappear from the original area, but spread outward, and I had another 10.  He squeezed and cleaned the large one, and removed all but a small cluster where he said it looked like the Aldara was working and they were so flat he had nothing to squeeze.  He did admit mine was the worst case he's seen.  Unfortunately, the Aldara, for the first time, irritated me to the point of scabbing an extended area.  It hurt so badly, I went back to the first Dr.  Because I wasn't shaving, the bandaid just irritated the surrounding hair and I couldnt cover the wound.  She told me I just needed to let it heal.  I said screw it and went to a Dermotologist.

The Derm prescribed an antibiotic to help the wound heal faster, but I was still left depressed in my house for two weeks.  Next to it I had grown two new small ones, and I wanted them gone, so when she suggested the beetle extract, I said fine.  I later regretted it; it turned the area into a big blister that popped and left the area red and peeling; and I still have two small red bumps.  Ugh.

Up until about three weeks ago, my BF had no symptoms at all.  Suddenly, I noticed a few spots, which kept me up at night with worry.  He is much more relaxed about it; don't worry, they're just like pimples, they'll go away, don't feel bad,etc.  I appreciate it but it doesn't help.  His seem to go quickly, however; and I wonder if it is because he is a "picker" (pops pimples and stuff regularly), so if theyre in a constant state of irritation theyre healing quicker?

This just complicated everything; as my "old" ones are all red and seem about to head and heal, I'm noticing some teeny teeny spots in new areas (stomach, arm).  Any spot on my body makes me paranoid; just now I'm worried that my body was clearing it and now he's passed it back just by everyday contact.  I mean, I can't really know yet; they are soo small you can barely see them, so for all I know they're folliculitis.

So I've got a Derm appmt next week, and an checkup with the Gyno the week after.  I'm almost out my annual prescription allotment, so it looks like I'll have to ration the Aldara.  And I finally grew the courage to try to pop the angry ones myself.  Seems ok, as long as theyre ready to go.  Ugh I was really hoping to have this cleared by the summer.  After reading this forum, I just order from lemon Myrtle, figured I'd try that for a while instead of the Tea Tree Oil.

Anyone had the situation where both partners had it?  What did you do?  How did you deal?  And thanks for letting me vent!  ..::whew!::..

Offline HatesMC

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: 28/07/2010 17:28:55 »
Thanks!!! I Tried ACV and it totally works!

I have MC in the private area(im a girl) :/ and it's hard to see there so- as gross as this sounds- I took photos down there so I could see what was going on. Looking at photos from yesterday night before I put on ACV and this morning after I slept w ACV on a bandaid i placed down there- I could tell a HUUUGGGEEE improvement. A whole patch of them I had in one area completely disappeared. A larger area of MC looked the same size but when I zoomed in on the photos- The white cores of each MC dot had come to the surface. This was a major improvement. 

I was tempted of course to try to pop one- so for one of the spots that I saw the white core extremely close to the top, I attempted. Mine are fairly small to pop? So i ended up for lack of better words pulling it out. It bled profusely so I am fairly sure I have rid of the disease there. I swabbed w alcohal to sterilize and placed a bandaid. I now have a scab in the empty crater. It was an extremely painful and gross process so I will probably try to rid of everything just using the ACV each night.

I know this sounds horribly disgusting, but if you can- take macro photos of your MC while you're doing any type of treatment. This will speed up the process of determining whether or not a method is working for you. At first I was very disappointed w the ACV- but when I saw how they looked upclose the improvement was enormous. These things are tiny so it really does help. If you'd like photos to know visually how to tell that things are getting better you can ask me- nobody should have to deal this horrible experience. :)

Thank you to everyone who has posted. This virus is highly embarrassing and mentally draining. I'm in the middle of finals week and haven't studied for one test bc I've spent days reading over and over websites with information about MC. I hope someday there will be an over the counter quick cure for this! Goodluck to everyone!!!

Hello everyone,

If you're reading this you or someone you know has come into contact with this annoying little bugger of a virus. Dermatologists don't seem to know what to do about it (and don't seem to care too much), and the sheer amount of info on the Web has probably got you confused beyond belief. I know I have been. I've had molluscum now for 14 months. What I hoped would be a short-lived annoyance has turned into a life-altering event with seemingly no conclusion. I decided to write this because I used this forum and others along the way to help me, and now that I have finally found something that works for me, I would like to share it with you in the hopes that it will help.

I am NOT associated with any product (as you will see.) I am just a normal person who contracted molluscum in the genital region and has tried over a dozen different remedies to no avail, until finding somthing that helped. I have studied every possible website I could find, doing in-depth research and even concocting a few of my own strategies for fighting this based on things that have been used to treat similar viruses (since nothing that was supposed to help molluscum actually did). Here is what I have tried, starting about 3 months into this nightmare:

- liquid nitrogen by dermatologist (this was the first step - worked on some, but more kept coming)

- SilverCure (tried religiously for two months - DOESN'T WORK.)

- tretinoin/Retin-A (I found this on amazon, even though you're supposed to need a prescription, and I had none. I used it on my genital region and it severely irritated the skin - which eventually got better. But no help with the molluscum anyway. So that was a no.)

- homeopathic remedies including Thuja and Calcarea Carbonicum (didn't work)

- Reishi mushrooms - also called ganoderma or lingzhi (An Asian cure-all. Supposedly the #1 eastern herbal medicine. Tried religiously for three months, no help. And very expensive)

- Betadine (no help)

- Rubbing Alcohol (no help)

- poking and slicing the molluscum off myself with a needle (just made them angry and they didn't go away - poured Betadine and alcohol in open molluscum wounds and no help).

- never reusing a washcloth or towel that might have come into contact with the molluscum (still do this, and it's probably a very good idea)

- lysine tablets combined with low-arginine diet (I started this because molluscum is very similar to the herpes virus, and many have claimed that this was an effective herpes cure. Basically, this is when I started treating my molluscum like herpes, to see if that would work - this didn't)

- BHT tablets (Don't know what this is? It's a food preservative found in processed meats. And some people believe it suppresses and actually cures herpes. So I tried it, even though there are good data which say it is cancer-causing. As you can see, I was and still am quite desperate to get rid of this disease. Anyway, as far as I could tell, this did nothing after several months.)

- coconut oil - sometimes topical, sometimes oral, sometimes with BHT mixed in (didn't do anything)

- monolaurin tablets/Lauricidin (this is a chemical which is present in coconut oil that is found in mother's milk and is supposedly highly anti-viral. I am still taking this but quite frankly, I have no proof that it has helped anything.)

- Laser surgery (Yes, I actually went to a laser center and had a 585 nm pulse-dye laser treatment. It cost $1000 for one treatment. See? Desperate. What happened? It cleared many of them, but not all. The small ones were cleared after the skin healed from the treatment. The older, larger ones were not. THEN, more eventually grew back.)

- detox diet consisting of low fat, low corn syrup, low sugar, no nuts or chocolate (lysine/arginie ratio as mentioned above) no wheat, no corn, no oats, no hydrogenated fats - basically lots of rice, vegetables, and slow-cooked meats - to avoid oxidation (I recently stopped this diet, but it did teach me to eat healthier, so now I eat some of the other stuff, but in moderation. However, no direct help with molluscum.)

- Back for more laser surgery, because I was desperate (same thing - got rid of the smaller ones, but not the mature ones)

And then, finally... I read about APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, and I decided to give it a try. Here's the deal - if applied correctly, IT WILL WORK. It's cheap and you can buy whatever brand you want, so long as it is natural/unfiltered. I have now been applying it for a few weeks, taking days off between to let my skin heal - the ACV is highly acidic and will slightly burn your skin, but IT WILL KILL THE MOLLUSCUM. Here's how I've found success:

1. Buy some Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar, some of the small square Band-Aids, and some gauze pads. That's all you'll need.

2. Cut off a tiny piece of a gauze pad, but make sure the piece you cut off is from the edge of the gauze so that the multiple layers that make up the gauze will stay together. Try to cut off a square piece a little smaller than the white pad in the center of your Band-Aid.

3. Dip the tiny piece of gauze into some apple cider vinegar.

4. Place the now-moist piece of gauze into the center of the Band-Aid, on the white pad.

5. Attach the Band-Aid to your skin directly over a molluscum lesion, or a small cluster of them. PRESS FIRMLY and wipe away any excess vinegar that escapes the Band-Aid.

6. Leave the Band-Aid on for 16-24 hours. Remove the Band-Aid and wash off the area.

If it has worked, you will notice that the molluscum under the bandage has changed color - it may have become black, dark red, or in some cases puffy and white. If it's black or deep red, you can be pretty sure you've killed it. However, if it's puffy and white, you probably have also killed it, or started the process of killing it. Give it a few days (3-4 days) and see if it starts to change. If it doesn't change, you'll need to reapply the vinegar using the same process. If it HAS changed, it will soon die entirely and flake away off your skin. And you've killed that molluscum! This basically performs a similar job as liquid nitrogen, but a) you don't have to see a doctor, b) for some reason, they seem to return more when liquid nitrogen is used - according to many reports and c) it's cheaper. Cheaper and more effective - I so wish I would have discovered this earlier.

You WILL notice that the skin AROUND the molluscum that you've killed will be red and irritated. Apple Cider Vinegar is highly acidic (malic acid) and it will damage you skin, similar to what a severe sunburn might do. Give it time and it should heal. Some of my red areas have already dissipated after a couple of weeks. While I can't guarantee any damaged skin will entirely heal completely without any remaining discoloration - the same is true for liquid nitrogen applied by the dermatologist, or laser surgery, or doing nothing and having long-lasting mollsucum eventually scar your skin. In order to kill these things, you have to be harsh. If you do it as I've laid out above, you'll hopefully see that the mollscum themselves take the brunt of the damage (they turn black or deep red, while the surrounding skin turns pink or light red).

I really hope this helps. I know I wish I had tried this before the long list of things above. This disease is a nightmare and I just want to to share this info so others may not have to suffer as long as I did. While I can't be sure more won't grow back once I get rid of all existing ones, I now know that I have a tool to kill them if they do pop up again.

Good luck everybody.

Offline HatesMC

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: 28/07/2010 17:35:33 »
Yes my boyfriend and I both have/had it. He got it first from swimming with his brother who was the original one who had it! They swam and shared clothes, towels, etc for a whole week. (He lost his suitcase on vacation) His brother didn't realize it until he had returned home.

Anyways, we just stopped having sex. His seemed to go away much faster but I think this is because he has a better immune system than me. I stress out really fast, am in finals at school, have a full time job and full time school schedule, etc - and he just works and goes to the gym. lol. He didn't have to do anything for his to heal- they went away naturally (lucky jerk!) We haven't had sex since then but then again its only been about two weeks. It's been ok- we've been mostly sitting around play video games and other things :) The sex doesn't make the relationship it just adds so I hope things go well for you!!! :)

Hey, I'm new here, I've been looking for a forum and was thrilled to find this one was so involved.  So here's my story:

I was diagnosed with MC mid-Jan of 2010, after starting a relationship only maybe 2 weeks prior.  Thought it was OVER. I hadn't had sex in probably 9 months, and am not sure how it came about.  BF told me he didn't care, we would deal with it.  (Side Note: The Dr prescribed me Aldara, told me it would go away in a few weeks, and yes, I could still have sex, which really upset me after I found out how contagious it is.)

After a few weeks of little progress, I went back with probably somewhere between 25-50 (Not sure b/c I couldn't see them), but I was on the table for almost an hr while he anesthitized, cut, squeezed and cleaned each one.  I went back two weeks later, and wasn't even sure if I had gotten any new ones; I had too many bruises and cuts I couldn't tell!  Besides, as I had heard shaving made it worse, I had stopped, which made it a bit difficult.  Turns out I had maybe 10-15 new ones.  Okay, I thought I was on the right track.

All this time I was checking my boyfriend.  I wonder if they assumed he was already infected?  I was using the Aldara at night, and tea tree oil in the am, and taking 30x thuja and multivitamins.

Third visit to the Dr: I made an emergency appmt b/c one was so large it looked like a volcano; not realizing my body was finally taking the initiative to fight it (on a good note!).  I was still beside myself to find they seemed to disappear from the original area, but spread outward, and I had another 10.  He squeezed and cleaned the large one, and removed all but a small cluster where he said it looked like the Aldara was working and they were so flat he had nothing to squeeze.  He did admit mine was the worst case he's seen.  Unfortunately, the Aldara, for the first time, irritated me to the point of scabbing an extended area.  It hurt so badly, I went back to the first Dr.  Because I wasn't shaving, the bandaid just irritated the surrounding hair and I couldnt cover the wound.  She told me I just needed to let it heal.  I said screw it and went to a Dermotologist.

The Derm prescribed an antibiotic to help the wound heal faster, but I was still left depressed in my house for two weeks.  Next to it I had grown two new small ones, and I wanted them gone, so when she suggested the beetle extract, I said fine.  I later regretted it; it turned the area into a big blister that popped and left the area red and peeling; and I still have two small red bumps.  Ugh.

Up until about three weeks ago, my BF had no symptoms at all.  Suddenly, I noticed a few spots, which kept me up at night with worry.  He is much more relaxed about it; don't worry, they're just like pimples, they'll go away, don't feel bad,etc.  I appreciate it but it doesn't help.  His seem to go quickly, however; and I wonder if it is because he is a "picker" (pops pimples and stuff regularly), so if theyre in a constant state of irritation theyre healing quicker?

This just complicated everything; as my "old" ones are all red and seem about to head and heal, I'm noticing some teeny teeny spots in new areas (stomach, arm).  Any spot on my body makes me paranoid; just now I'm worried that my body was clearing it and now he's passed it back just by everyday contact.  I mean, I can't really know yet; they are soo small you can barely see them, so for all I know they're folliculitis.

So I've got a Derm appmt next week, and an checkup with the Gyno the week after.  I'm almost out my annual prescription allotment, so it looks like I'll have to ration the Aldara.  And I finally grew the courage to try to pop the angry ones myself.  Seems ok, as long as theyre ready to go.  Ugh I was really hoping to have this cleared by the summer.  After reading this forum, I just order from lemon Myrtle, figured I'd try that for a while instead of the Tea Tree Oil.

Anyone had the situation where both partners had it?  What did you do?  How did you deal?  And thanks for letting me vent!  ..::whew!::..

Offline HatesMC

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: 28/07/2010 17:40:09 »
I'm not sure what the ACV did to help my MC go down but YES- I put some ACV on the bandage part of the bandaid and place it over an area. For larger area or when I was going to sleep - I put ACV on a cotton ball and then used medical tape to place it over a spot w MC. This really helped me. :)

Re: WHAT IS THE TREATMENT FOR MOLLUSCUM CONTAGIOSUM
Well, thanks to everyone that has contibuted to this wealth of knowledge.  Here goes my 5 year old daughters story re. Molluscum Contagiosm (what a yuck name too - reminds me of Mollucs on the bottom of an old boat!!).
4 months ago my then GP told me it was probably ecsema - so prescribed DIPROBASE creamy lotion to be applied 3 times daily.  No change - I think the grease actually enlarged the lumps - then last week she hated the look of them so much she scratched the tops of them and caused an infection (they are apporx 20 in total, living in the crook of her right elbow - she sucks her thumb a lot, so her arm in very often bent upwards - so not allowing lots of airflow) - so I take her to my new GP and get the true diagnosis of M.C. 
What a shock - we could have all caught this virus - she shares baths with her twin Sister and clothes and has been going to school with her arm uncovered (she now wears a long sleeve white top under her school blouse so the kids don't see her lumps and the virus is covered over this cotton linament gause covered in stinky Tea Tree (her sense of smell is more sensative I guess).  Yesterday we also covered the elbow area where the lumps are with a bit of Tubigrip bandaging - which she seemed to like.
Anyway, all the previous posts about squeezing out white cores, etc. is not always possible with a terrified child - so my plan of action from today is going to be:
Tea Tree oil applied directly onto the lumps 3 times a day and especially at night (she is as school so cannot do a daytime application).  Will look into purchasing TERRASIL in the UK.  No more baths and possibly look into oral APPLE CIDER VINEGAR capsules.  I tried spraying Elastoplast Spray Plaster over the area - but it took a long time to dry, she closed her arm up (to suck her thumb) and it went very tacky and gluey.  Checked out CONDYLINE which one lady had success with went she had a holiday in Italy and the Doc out there gave it to her child - but now that I have googled it - it says it is for Genital Warts and not to be used on kids and you need it prescribed by a GP. 
Is it correct to think that I need to apply Apple Cider Vinegar onto the area via a piece of soaked gause - this will then burn the skin slightly, which will make her immune cells rush to that area and then deal with the skin level virus (as the virus does not live in her blood stream - just on the surface skin)?????
Any suggestions would be great - thank god the rest of us have not caught it in the 3-4 months she has had it - funny that??!!    Regards Steph

Offline curechildeczema

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: 13/08/2010 22:37:51 »
Essential oils like tea tree and castor oil are also known for removing warts effectively. These herbs and oils have anti bacterial and anti viral properties which makes them effective in treating any type of molluscum cantagiosum however,  these treatments depend on the reaction of the body and the extent of the infection.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #299 on: 13/08/2010 22:37:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length