The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?  (Read 1464360 times)

Offline SF_

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?
« Reply #375 on: 25/04/2013 09:12:11 »
I'm a 23 year old male. I'm guessing I contracted molluscum from a girl I had sex with at the time, however am unsure because she didn't show any signs. This might just mean she was a carrier but had no symptoms or I got it from towels at the gym or something.

I started showing signs of molluscum on my penis in the beginning of March, about 2 months ago. I saw a few doctors right away, only the third doctor, a dermatologist was able to tell me what it is. At first they used Cantharidin which left terrible blisters. Mostly it didn't do anything. It did remove one of the bumps the the rest kept spreading until I had about 50. I've even tried 20% Salicylic acid at home, no use at all.

On my second visit I requested Aldara, an imiquimod. It works. It works really well. Within a few applications, I'd say 2-3 applications, the molluscum bumps I had applied it to started drying off and falling off. It was a huge surprise to me as I didn't expect it to work that fast. The white tip of the molluscum is falling off, leaving the raised skin there which fades away in a few days. It's been a week and a half since I've started using it and almost all 50 of the molluscum bumps have fallen off. There are 4-5 that are left, mostly looking like they are about to fall off as well.

Granted, I had already seen the doctor and applied Cantharidin a month ago which is supposed to help the immune system recognize molluscum so it might have given my immune system a head start. However the molluscum's immediate drying and falling off seems to be a direct result of Aldara.

So my best advice, go see a dermatologist. Then request Aldara. It's expensive if you don't have insurance. Hundreds of dollars. But even without insurance I would still get it. It's absolutely worth it, and the only thing that has actually worked for me.

Best of luck.

Offline sophie22

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: 28/04/2013 01:33:30 »
hello I want to share my experience I had with MC. I know I was completely freaked out and became down on myself when I was reading about so many people who had this virus for months, even years. It was two weeks between the time I noticed symptoms of MC in my groin area/inner thigh and the time I realized what it actually was. (which was confimed at a OBGYN) I am still at a complete loss as to how I received it considering my boyfriend never showed any symptoms whatsoever. I frantically searched several articles, websites, and other people's blogs to see what worked for them. I got rid of my molluscum in TWO WEEKS, it is completely gone. Apple Cider Vinegar, it really really works!!! I began treating the bumps at first by diluting the ACV in a shot glass with water and soaking cotton balls in the solutions and bandaging them to the bumps. No, its not comfortable, but I was determined and willing to try anything. I did this before I went to bed at night, the VERY next day I saw a change, they began to become more red (which is a good sign) Meanwhile during the day I changed my eating habits, I took extra vitamin C (couple bottles of emergen-c in my water) and chose healthier options to boost my immune system to help fight off this virus. Every evening I would also take a bath with tea tree oil. I would put about ten to fifteen drops of tea tree oil in a large garden tub of water and soak for at least 30 minutes. This became my routine, eat healthy, tea tree oil baths, ACV bandages at night for bed. After seeing improvement I wanted to speed up the process even more. I stopped diluting the apple cider vinegar and applied it directly to the bumps (yes it burns, but its not too terrible, be very careful to not get this on your healthy skin) The very next morning, I would say about the 3rd day of beginning my treatment, the bumps began to turn white and some were even gone. I looked online to saw other people had good experiences with zymaderm. I ordered this off amazon and began using this as my daily routine as well. After my morning shower I applied the zymaderm to the bumps, when I was home in the evenings I soaked in my tea tree oil bath (and sometimes threw some acv into the tub) and after the bath I applied more zymaderm. Before bed I bandaged apple cider vinegar cottonballs to the bumps. within a week all my bumps had turned black and had fallen off. A few small ones reappeared a day or two later and I continued my method, another week passed and those disappeared as well. After the bumps had completely cleared I wanted to be cautious so I kept taking daily probiotics,immune boosters, and eating healthier meals. Not one single bump has shown up since, I am MC free.
DONT GIVE UP! you must be persistent for this method to work, I am no doctor and I know that each individuals body and immune system works differently but this is what worked for me and it worked quickly. My doctor had perscribed me an outrageous ointment that would have cost me close to 200 dollars and would have taken 6 months to even start to show signs of improvement. Natural healing worked for me and I encourage you to stay positive, you will be able to get rid of it!

Offline aji

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: 18/05/2013 16:39:29 »
My daughter had molluscum contagiosum for over a year. There were bumps on her back, chest, then her legs and arms. We tried many different products and treatments to cure her to no avail.  For months we spent over an hour a day treating her bumps individually, showering her and changing her band aids.  Then in less than 2 weeks of effort, success!   I apologize that we didn't have just one thing that worked, but I was past scientifically trying only one change at a time.  I should mention that my daughter's overall health is just fine, she's a happy girl with no obvious food allergies.

HOW WE CURED OUR CHILD'S MOLLUSCUM:

After much failure to cure her skin from the outside, I focused on the idea of trying to wake up her immune system to systematically fight the bumps from the inside.

For a 2-week span we cut out almost all dairy and refined sugar from her diet.  She did not eat any products that had obvious forms of sugar on the label.  She was still allowed to eat vegetables, raw fruits, plain breads, and normal proteins.  We were more strict in the first week and than the second.  We used plain almond milk and also gave her a couple eggs (including yolks) each day to increase her sulfur.  She received a Flintstone vitamin daily and ate an otherwise healthy normal diet. 

I told her these changes were a new super-healthy diet experiment for the whole family.  I kept an eye on what she was fed at other people's houses too.  I gave a few treats to my son on the side and he didn't tell her we were only doing this diet change because of her bumps. 

At the same time, I started giving her Beveri Immunity Boost Drink.  It's about $30 in a local health food store.  It contains Lactoferrin, Vitamin C, Vitamin B and Zinc.  Since it was designed for adults, and she's only 5 years old -- I gave her just 1/3 of a pack each day (mixed with water) until the box was all used up.  I told her this was stuff to help cure the bumps (but she was told that about Elderberry previously and that didn't make any difference.)

Her skin responded within 48 hours of this treatment plan (actually she broke out in dozens of new bumps, not molluscum but other bumps.)  I think this was an ID autoimmune response and those bumps went away within 9 days -- some hydrocortisone helped.

As a result of this major push for 2 weeks, the bumps began to noticeably disappear.  Once we thought the virus was leaving, we coated the residual lesions and skin damage with an old prescription cream that we used for my son's eczema 4 years ago. The prescription says: Triamcinolone 0.1% 80GM / Cetaphil 454. I should mention then when we filled this script, it was more expensive ($40) than our usual prescription deductible because it requires the pharmacist to mix it by hand. Anyway, this stuff really helps clear up skin issues, but I would not apply it to any molluscum bumps that still contain the virus -- otherwise you will spread the virus simply applying the cream!

My daughter is back to being a normal child who can swap princess costumes on playdates and wear a leotard in gym class.  :) :) :) :)

I hope and pray this works for you as well.  Let me save you some effort and present the list of things we tried that didn't succeed.  We could help some bumps individually but none of the following cured her: 100% Pure Australian Tea Tree oil mixed 3:1 with 2% Iodine Tincture applied topically.  Hydrocortisone topically.  Grapefruit Seed Extract topically.  Zymaderm Phase I and/or Phase II topically.   Popping bumps individually with a sterilized needle to try to make her white blood cells come fight the molluscum.  Elderberry / Sambucus for Kids ingested.  Apple Cider Vinegar either topically or ingested.  Aloe (straight from the plant) would help irritated skin but not cure a bump.  Wart cream was the worst treatment of all, and that was the only idea offered by the pediatrician!

Some things that were helpful to avoid the bumps from spreading included: using a different Q-Tip whenever applying anything to a bump.  Never allowing her to wear the same clothes twice / always washing her clothes on hot, sometimes twice if a bump had been oozing.  We went thru boxes of band aids keeping the bumps isolated.  The clear band aids irritated her skin less than others.  The tattoo kiddie band aids are truly water proof but remember to fold a corner so you can pull the band aid off later.  Lastly, I think Tea Tree Oil soap helped avoid spreading the virus around when she showered.

As terrible and frustrating as these bumps are, let me offer a word of perspective.  My son was in the ICU when his lungs failed due to H1N1+Pneumonia, and if the doctors had told me that we could snap our fingers, heal his lungs but he'd be covered in viral bumps, unable to attend school, hug anyone, or whatever else for 5 years I would have accepted that deal in an instant. (My son recovered after a week on a ventilator in the ICU.)  Yet, here I was scared over the impact of my daughter's molluscum -- how far I had a strayed from knowing what's important in this world! All I'm saying is let's just take a step back and put this into perspective. It will eventually go away. Molluscum is most certainly a terrible nuisance but I'm grateful not to be on the message boards where people have far more serious illnesses.

Offline CJMCVSux

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: 24/05/2013 17:28:35 »
I want you to remember something "IT WILL GO AWAY"

WHAT WORKED FOR ME!!!
******Coconut Oil: This was my FAVORITE CURE. I'm not here to sell you. I'm here to help you. You can buy this stuff at walmart or trader joes for like $6.No side effects. It doesn't smell.. It smells good!!! If you like coconut.

I found this out by accident because I started using it as a moisturizer. and I noticed one day all the bumps on my legs were gone.. I mean alot of them.

There was a study done with coconut oil extract:
newbielink:https://www.vmvhypoallergenics.com/skintelligencenter/published-studies/42-published-studies/76-coconut-oil-extract-2-monolaurin-cream-in-the-treatment-of-molluscum-contagiosum [nonactive]

Where 15 out of 28 people were completely cured.. I mean COMPLETELY all bumps were gone.

I'm not saying this is a save all. But if you have tried everything rather than spending $100 on people trying to sell you stuff. Try coconut oil.

I only put it on after I shower in the morning. and I have gone from 40 bumps to like three small ones.

Remember... This will end!!!! Good luck  :D :D :D :D

OMG coconut oil sounds like a welcome relief. 

here's my story. i believe i got this several years ago (2009) and after 4 years finally figured out what it was, but i'm not entirely sure.  it started with a bad allergic reaction to meds for a shattered hand that had me in full body hives.  i always had some eczema since childhood on my inner thighs, behind the knees, etc., and assumed that when the rest of the hives cleared, this was all it was.  i'm still not sure if it was MCV back then or what, but anyhow, about a year or so ago i realized my "razor bumps" from shaving were itchier than usual. i eventually scratched and it spread, and finally i asked my gyno about this 3 mos ago and she diagnosed it.  turns out what i thought were irritated razor bumps really was MCV.  and it got worse.  the itching was so intense it drove me insane and the dr. said they could burn it off, etc., and to make an appointment for a few mos from then.

well, i have a feeling even if this didn't go back to 2009, that there was a good chance my "razor bumps" were MCV for at least a year if not more.  i (thankfully) found this forum and had tried a few different things.  tea tree oil and a bunch of the other home remedies didn't work, but i also realized that i had a small wart on my hand (from a cyst being removed and it getting infected) that only responded to ACV. so i tried that.  and it worked!

but holy ***t did it burn... i did that for a few days putting ACV soaked in gauze all over the pubic area and it got rid of most of the bumps in a few days. i'd have to take a break bc the skin would get so irritated it would hurt to walk or move, but then i did it again to clear the rest up.  however, i focused more on the pubic area and not on the goin/inner thigh as at the time i foolishly thought that was still eczema. and of course the MCV came back with a vengeance.

so back to the ACV (day #3) but had to give it a rest bc after just a few hours yesterday it burned too much to even put any on.  today i am able to apply to the non-dried out spots to keep the progress going, and the other spots are black and drying out which is good.  i can't scrape them as it's just too painful it's unbelievable, it's like they came back madder than before because last time i did this for 3 days, scraped and was done (no new bumps in the area i treated before at least so i know it worked).

but i just read the post about coconut oil - something i have on hand bc i use it for cooking and as a moisturizer. i'm going to try this because while im doing a little more ACV treatment to the areas i didn't get as well on days 1 and 2 this go-round, the rest of the groin / inner thigh is burned to cr** and i've been using powder to try to soothe it and while it helps, it also gives the MCV a chance to sometimes catch up and regrow.  The coconut oil sounds like an awesome alternative since it's actually good for your skin and won't burn, besides i need something to put on to give the skin a break because i am in serious pain walking right now it's awful.

thank you so so so so much for the coconut oil tip! i hope it works!!!!

and for those of you with MCV, the ACV DOES work (at least it did for me - and it was what worked for my wart on my hand when nothing else did so obv my system responds well to it) and it works FAST, but depending on the area it is in, can be painful, so be careful.  there is a light at the end of the tunnel!!!!

Offline KC2012

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: 15/06/2013 05:50:01 »
Hello,
I just found out that I MC on my pubic area a few days ago and I've been terrified ever since.  I've been reading posts here and I plan on trying everything that seems to work for people, but I was wondering about what I should do about preventing the spreading.  Should I wear different, clean shorts to bed every night?  Should I change my bed sheets/use new towels every day?  When I wash "down there" should I use a washcloth or just apply soap with my hands and then rinse?  Does sweating making it worse?  Should I avoid going to the gym until it's gone?  Also, the doctor at planned parenthood prescribed me Aldara cream to apply once a week, does it work?  Sorry, I know there are a lot of questions and some of these are awkward but I've been trying to get a hold of my own doctor so she can refer me to a dermatologist for a week now with no response  :-[ Any one that has any info I would really appreciate your help.  I'm so afraid I'll never be able to be normal again.  Thank you  :)

Offline vaper

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: 19/06/2013 01:09:19 »
I contracted it after my kids started swimming lessons recently, appeared first on my right hand and I thought they were ingrown hairs or pimples so I squeezed them. Bad mistake and of course it spead to my lower arms and eventually my genital region. What fun! ;)
Okay after wading through several years of posting here on this subject I had a go with the ACV compress last night, it didn't hurt at all, minor discomfort for me. The improvement on the spots this morning was very good. Of course the skin on the penis is  a bit irritated today, I've soothed that with some zinc oxide cream and some Weleda Hypercal cream which is hypericum (st John's Wort) oil with calendula cream which I had had previous success with treating a fungal skin condition. I only have 6 spots in that area, one large one has reduced in size a great deal after 12 hours of ACV compress.
I'm going to keep going with this regime of the compresses followed up by the skin supportive and repairing cream. I am also going to remove any with tweezers  and betadine and clean them out completely.
I am also drinking 2 glasses of ACV with water per day, taking D3 tablet and Echinacea, Garlic + zinc in tablet form 3 times a day  and 1000mg of vitamin C 
I'll do this for a week and see how I'm fairing and post again.
At first I felt horrible and dismayed but I'm feeling more positive now seeing some improvment. Also has anyone tried those wart freezing kits you can get at the chemist, if I start treading water with the current treatment I'll try this more aggressive treatment.

Offline mcv_dad

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: 20/06/2013 09:59:20 »
There is so much information about molluscum and so many conflicting "cures". For what it is worth I recommend you have a look at what I think is the best site for information and a guide to treating the bumps. Three of my children had MC and we had to find a cure that was good for very young children. It seems to me that the best cure combines the good work of apple cider vinegar and other natural products like clove oil and tree oil. Anyway, it work wonders for us!

We used the advice on this site to heal them:  - no commercial links, please
« Last Edit: 09/10/2013 21:47:55 by JP »

Offline thegore

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: 25/06/2013 00:28:19 »
My 11 year old has had this for a month and a few days ago I found the small initial spots on my younger child.  I am treating this successfully at home with a mixture of a few drops of tea tree oil and a few drops of iodine.  Do not use Tincture of Iodine - it won't work.  I am using Betadine paint.  I apply it morning and evening with a small paintbrush which I find better than a cotton bud as I can quickly and accurately treat even the smallest spots and the solution doesn't just get absorbed in the cotton bud.  If I catch a spot early, it never develops and is gone in a few days.  The larger ones take longer, burst and then heal.  When they burst they need to be covered to prevent infection spreading and to make it more comfortable.

There are several studies on the effectiveness of iodine combined with another treatment. 
newbielink:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2397974 [nonactive]
newbielink:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22395586 [nonactive]

Having read everything I can find on the internet, it seems to me that it is the iodine which is the effective ingredient in killing the spot.  Iodine does not penetrate the skin well, so it seems that the other ingredient, whether apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil or salicylic acid, helps it to penetrate and kill the spot as well as helping with drying out the spot.  Lemon myrtle and cider vinegar work alone for some people.  We tried cider vinegar but it stung and my daughter couldn't tolerate it. 

I have been treating the older child for a week and a half.  She started with just two spots, diagnosed by the GP with no treatment recommended, but it spread fast when they itched and she scratched them and I looked for a cure. The larger ones are bursting and healing and a couple of large ones have not yet burst but are changing shape and colour and becoming flatter.  The very small ones, caught earlier and in their initial stages, dry up and a small scab falls off after 3-4 days.  The spread of spots has significantly slowed - this happened a few days after the first one burst which may or may not be significant.  I have read that there is a theory that molluscum spots sit on the surface of the skin and the immune system is somewhat unaware of them which is why they take so long to go; bursting them speeds up the immune response.  Whatever the reason, the spots are clearly responding to treatment and I feel that I am on the way to resolving the MC.  I have just started to treat the younger child who presented with an immediate rash of about 50 spots all at the same stage rather than just a couple, and because of this I noticed them when they are at an earlier stage of development.  After two treatments the spots are reduced in size and have clearly responded to the treatment. 

Now the second child has it, I'm considering buying Zymaderm which contains iodine and tea tree oil amongst other things and might be a bit easier to apply.  However for now I'm glad to have an effective and cheap solution.

Offline vaper

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: 25/06/2013 12:47:56 »
thegore:

yup I agree, ACV and betadine has made all the difference, I only had 6 spots all have either partially healed or dried up completely. Two I had to clean out and used lots of betadine. I also think the garlic zinc tabs B3 and the calendula/hypericum cream seems to really help support the healing of the sites. As soon as I cleaned out the two white ones all the rest responded to the ACV and betadine really quickly and no new spots have appeared.
The ones on my hands and arms (about 6 of them and the first to appear) are 99% healed.
I'm going to continue with this treatment as it's been so successful for me.

Offline thegore

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: 28/06/2013 10:19:11 »
Thanks for the tip about zinc tabs and cream.

I did a little extra reading, particularly for the correspondent who said she used tincture of iodine. This doesn't work - you need to use povidone iodine which is widely available (Betadine is just one brand).  My father is a pharmacist and did explain to me why this is the case but though I grasp the concept I couldn't explain it properly.  It's to do with stability of the iodine and it's why the medical profession universally uses povidone iodine to scrub up and to disinfect wound sites but doesn't use the tincture.

I'm delighted to report that my younger daughter is almost completely clear after four days of treatment.  I caught hers much earlier which helps.  One spot remains, which was the largest and it's almost gone.  The older one has had a more complex case (infection of spots and eczema) but after a few more days treatment the warts are clearly drying up and several more have gone completely.

Offline morganj

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: 08/07/2013 17:30:47 »
I read a lot on this forum 6 weeks ago when my 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum.  I made all of her spots very angry when i put wart remover on them for 4 days before her diagnosis.  Do not put wart remover on them.  I makes it so painful for the patient.  The Dr told me to try Zymaderm.  I read on this site that it worked for some and did nothing for others but I was so desperate to try anything.  I started Zymaderm and applied it every morning to every spot.  For the first 4 weeks I also put a drop of tea tree oil on each spot before the zymaderm. I let it dry completely before letting her get dressed.  Then every night she would shower and I would reapply and let dry completely before moving.  Her spots were on her bottom and back of her thigh.  I made her wear leggings to bed every night.  It has been 6 weeks and we are drying up her last spot.  She started with 17 spots.  I do not work for Zymaderm.  I'm a mom that works a regular 9 to 5 job in a small town who was desperate to heal her child.  Good luck to all those in tears trying to heal. 

Offline morganj

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: 08/07/2013 17:33:47 »
I will post pic of before and after when i get a chance to put the pics on my computer

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: 08/07/2013 22:48:21 »
Zymaderm ... Zymaderm ... zymaderm ...Zymaderm

Quote from: Naturopathix ZymaDerm
ZymaDerm ... a full strength topical homeopathic formula ...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002N2XUBE

Allegedly homoeopathic remedies become stronger the greater the dilution [sic] ....
The founder of homeopathy, Samuel Hahnemann (1755 1843) believed ... that successive dilutions increased the "potency" of the remedy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathic_dilutions

So what does "full strength ... homeopathic formula" consist of, distilled water ?
« Last Edit: 08/07/2013 22:51:38 by RD »

Offline nick472

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: 10/07/2013 20:11:47 »
USE SILVER NITRATE STICKS!!! They worked 100%. But you need to be very careful when using them. Unfortunately my doctor did not give me any instruction on how to use them and I used too much, and got it in spots you shouldn't on my genital area, wasn't a pleasant week of healing.

Step 1: Get some sticks, about $40.00 for 100 I believe, got them from a pharmacy after calling around a bit. You don't need a perscription.

Step 2: I had mine in the genital area so I started by trimming the hair short to make all of the lesions accessible.

Step 3: Get a small cup of water, the silver nitrate is activated by the water and for the application. Moisten the tip of the sticks, and dab the tip on a piece of tissue before applying so the stick is not dripping anywhere. WEAR GLOVES. The silver nitrate stains skin black and you don't want it anywhere but on the lesion.

Step 4: Dab the tip of the stick on the lesion and try to contain the silver nitrate from touching any of your other skin. USE THE SILVER NITRATE SPARINGLY, I used way too much the first times and with the silver nitrate looking clear and watery during application its easy to get carried away. It can be painful if you use too much and get it on healthy skin. Use about half of the material on the end of the stick per lesion. You can re moisten the tip periodically during application.

Step 5: The silver nitrate works by taking off the couple layers of skin the molluscum affects. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT SCARRING. It burns a bit while its working but like I said I put WAY too much on the first time I used it and was scared of a big scar, but the silver nitrate does not take off enough skin to cause a scar, similar to a surface scratch.

Step 6: Do not panic when the skin around it or the molluscum lesion becomes black, it is a staining reaction caused by the chemical with light. Any black marks will fade away within a week or two at most.

Step 7: I found it a good idea to put on some bandaging to cover each lesion, a bit of gauze and some tape, to prevent any further spreading.

Step 8: Monitor the skin taken off by the silver nitrate and apply hydrogen peroxide and polysporin to prevent any infection.

Step 9: Watch the molluscum die and dissapear and get back to a normal life!!

This genuinely worked for me and I am so glad I found a treatment that was successful and gave visible progressive results within a couple weeks. I tried popping them one by one before I found that the open lesions end up spreading constantly from one place to another regardless. Unless you are incredibly careful and sterile, popping them will usually just lead to further spreading. Just be extra careful with the silver nitrate and don't use too much on the first time, try it out sparingly first. Trust me I was too gung ho my first time and got it everywhere and it was NOT enjoyable.

Other Tips on Managing Molluscum:

GO COMMANDO! I found wearing restrictive underwear made it a hot mess and spread worse, wear some comfortable pants as much as you can and just huck them in the wash once a day.

DONT TOWEL DRY THE AREA The friction can spread them more, I would towel dry my body then dab the areas with molluscum on my groin and torso with toilet paper to dry them off. It took time but reduced spreading.

SHOWER LOTS! Shower off lots after any physical activity, hot moist environments cause this condition to worsen and a cool shower helps.

PLEASE CONTACT ME IF ANYTHING IS UNCLEAR IN THIS POSTING, I am more than happy to clarify and give tips before you start the process. It worked and I am lesion free for a couple months now, the whole process with silver nitrate only lasting a few weeks after 6 months of messing around with other unsuccessful treatments.

Best of Luck!

Offline Kayla_sharee

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: 13/07/2013 17:58:49 »
I have been dealing with this virus since May. My son got it on his stomach. I took him to the doctor several times and they said leave it alone, it will go away. i I treated him at home anyways after doing research and used tea tree oil, acv, and a product called conzerol. The ACV did help and possibly the conzerol. However, Im unsure if the conzerol actually helped or if his body finally began to fight the virus. He had it almost a year. He's got a few very small bumps left that I believe are going away.  Yay!!!!
However, I have MC now. It's on my face... Of all places! I also have a few bumps on my back and chest. I have several medium sized ones on my face. The others are fairly small.. But there are quite a few of them. I'm not sure if I am getting more or developing some sort of rash. I can see that my skin on my face is not smooth but looks like I'm beginning to get a bunch of little bumps. I can't see a white core in them yet though. I have tried tea tree oil , which I think slowed down/ prevented new ones from forming. I didn't realize this until I had stopped using it bc it was actually making me break out with pimples. I can't do the ACV on my face bc the bumps are so small and so many. It would be near impossible for me to cover them. I have tried popping them.. That always scares me though bc I don't want to get more. I've put conzerol on my face as well. Like I mentioned before, I'm not sure if this works. I finally went to the doctor, not the dermatologist. He froze some of them on my face. I have about 15 dark spots for the freezing that are currently healing. There are still other spots that he didn't get for whatever reason. I wanted to try Aldara but he said I would have to do another freezing first. And if that didn't work he'd prescribe Aldara. I am in the military so I have to get a referral from my doctor to the dermatologist. He seems to think he can cure this based on the one other case he has experienced, so he has not referred me out. I am at my wits ends. My face is sensitive so I don't know what to put on it to get rid of this. I had a complete meltdown yesterday, worried this will never go away and continue to get worst. Please help me. Any recommendations for facial molluscom?

Offline USMC0313

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: 20/07/2013 13:08:36 »
Well I am a 22 year old male, veteran of the Marines. I've had MCV for about 2 months now and I'm almost positive I contracted it sexually. Typical Marine fashion I know lol (trying to have a little humor here because as most of you know this virus takes its toll mentally with depressive tendencies). I first noticed a small bump or two in my genital area and assumed it was acne so I did nothing. About a week or so later there were more and they appeared to be genital warts so I immediately went to the local STD clinic and she diagnosed me with MCV. Her initial response was very wasy so it put me at ease. She did liquid nitrogen on all of the original bumps and said most if not all the bumps should go away and if any were left in 2 weeks to come back and she would get the rest. Well, a week later I noticed the amount DOUBLED. So I decided not to go back there. I read a lot about tea tree oil so I tried just that for 2 weeks but that wasn't working. I'm very healthy, I eat no junk food, drink no soda, work out everyday, and I take a multi vitamin everyday. After tea tree oil I tried Zymaderm. This appeared to do nothing as well because through these treatments it only got worse. I know have approximately 40 lesions all over my genitals and pubic area. So last night I reached a turning point and I'm attempting this on a full court pressure style attack. I am now taking astragalus extract capsules, D3 capsules, zinc, vitamin c, echinacea, along with my normal healthy diet. I am now also drinking ACV twice a day and I went out and bought tweezers and the appropriate stuff to tweeze them off. After I tweezed a few to do a test run I put cotton balls soaked in ACV on some of the ones a I tweezed and taped it down tight. I will let you all know how it goes. This virus has wore on my in a depression as well. I've secluded myself from the world other than work. If anyone needs support or wants to talk id be more than happy. Keep your chins up and heads low (Marine thing) haha take care.

Offline mctreatment

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: 22/07/2013 06:51:31 »
My (eventual) success story with MC came from the advice of this forum so I feel obligated to share my experience for those who know all too well how annoying this virus can be. I'll try to keep it as detailed as I remember in the hope that it'll help somebody put those last pieces of the puzzle together without having to experiment and guess like I did.

I am 30, male and when it was a full outbreak I had them in the genitals area (not a happy place...). A few partway up the shaft but mostly on the front. I had 2 full outbreaks and a few stragglers at the end for a total of about 50 of those nasty bumps. If I knew what I am going to write now I could have cleared the virus before 10 bumps came out.

The very first bump grew to what looked like a pimple with a white dot in late Jan 2013. It was kind of hidden behind the shaft and I didn't think anything of it since it was the only one assuming it was going to pop eventually. The next wave of bumps happened 2 weeks after having my wisdom teeth were removed. I think the medication to prevent mouth infection gave the virus a chance to grow until more bumps were visible. The next wave of bumps didn't look like anything more than a tiny skin clump. The new bumps didn't look like the pimple I thought I had on the shaft and there were no white dots so trying to find out what it was on the internet was impossible. I forget when exactly but I did make the huge mistake of trying to shave off all of these bumps and especially the pimple-looking one which was getting to be quite big.

I basically hoped it would go away and carefully monitored to see if the small bumps would grow. Around this time (late feb 2013) I traveled south to a hot and humid country (breeding ground for MC). After seeing new bumps pop up rather quickly and the older ones starting to have dots of their own I finally decided that I could not heal this myself. After going through several walk-in clinics and getting referrals I was finally properly examined by a real dermatologist who immediately identified the MC and proceeded to treat them via the curette.

He cleared all that he could see (which was about 20) and let me warn you that you have to have a certain amount of fortitude not to gasp in pain. The end result looked like my previously smooth skin was just ruined forever but I accepted it if it meant the MC was gone.

Well it wasn't gone. I made the mistake (again) to shave the area and sure enough a couple weeks later I could see several new bumps coming. So I went back to the dermatologist and he did his painful work again removing another 20ish. This time he recommended I use Aldara to clear the small hidden bumps that he couldn't get to.

I believe that Aldara works but it takes a long time and it can cost a lot of $. Aldara works by speeding up your natural immune system to clear out the virus. I was instructed to put very little cream as it is very strong on the infected area twice a day and 3 days a week for as long as it takes (expecting 2months). There are alternative creams like imiquimod that do the same thing.

I returned to north america finally (may 2013). I was happy because this virus thrives in moist humid environment. So I went with the aldara for 1.5 months until it ran out (I didn't buy enough as it is expensive). The treatment started right after the 2nd currete session and I didn't notice as many new bumps like last time except for 1 or 2. If I did it for 2 or 3 months like the derm said I think it would have worked.

What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?
Desperately searching the internet for a home remedy led me to this site and led me to read some of the testimonials on apple cider vinegar (ACV). Like any rational person I was skeptical but there were too many positive reviews to ignore so I decided to try it myself. After experimenting various proportions this is what finally worked for me in detail:

-Take a very small piece of tissue paper (toilet tissue or nose tissue doens't matter - can be cotton too)
-Submerge the tissue in the ACV for a couple seconds
-Pull it out and squeeze the extra juice out leaving the tissue very moist but not soaked (this is to keep the ACV from creeping out from the tape ruining the adhesivity of the tape)
-I tend to lean back in my chair or bed to help keep the tissue stable over the MC for the next step
-Take a tumb-sized piece of duct tape and carefully place it over the tissue covering the tissue completely
-The tissue has to be pressed directly against the MC
-The next day (12-18hrs later) remove the duct tape and remove the tissue and dispose of them
-Take a shower being very careful not to rub soap in the infected area
-Dry yourself off but again don't rub the towel. I pat or air dry the MC area last.
-Start over

In my experience it only takes 3ish days for pure ACV to kill the MC. How do you know if it's working ? Depending how big it is it will take 1 or 2 days of treatment before you'll notice a drastic change. The area immediately around it will appear to get bigger and maybe the white will be bigger too but don't fear !!! Keep applying ACV as explained above. Another day and the white starts turning into a sour yellow color. When it's a pretty dark yellow I leave it exposed. It's fine to be extra careful and apply ACV for another day if you're not certain. No harm in being certain. At this point it's probably dead but don't touch it yet. Wait several hrs and keep an eye on it for changes in color. In my experience every time it's gotten puffy and dark yellow it was done for. I would go to sleep that night without an extra application of ACV. The next day it might still look yellowish but even darker. Then eventually (1 or 2 more days) it'll scab over and look blackish. It'll scab best if it's exposed. Then a day or 2 longer and it'll itch - you might scratch it off and that'll be it! It's gone!!!

Several warnings/tips:
-Apple cider vinegar has to be pure/natural ie: do not buy a diluted version (Bragg's is good)
-ACV will burn the skin badly ! So only use it on the MC to minimize damaging healthy skin. I had painful burns trying to cover an area much greater than necessary. The MC is just what you see. It is just that bump.
-Use the smallest piece of duct tape that you can. Larger pieces didn't work because the skin moves around too much unsticking it. Also it is much more difficult detecting new MC with all the extra whitish sticky spots caused by the duct tape.
-A magnifying glass would have helped with the MC search
-Don't stack off on it ever ! As soon as you can confirm a new MC destroy it ASAP !
-Do a very thorough MC search each day. I usually did 2 or 3 searches.
-Never touch the MC ! Honestly I did touch my MC by accident on several occasions (like when I was searching for it). It is super contagious but the occasional little touch should be OK. Try to be safe and not touch it at all though !
-Never shave while you have MC (instead use scissors to gut the hair if you can't see the MC area)
-Never take a bath (shower is fine)
-The healthier you are the better but minimize exercises that cause a lot of friction down there
-Don't let the area get humid.
-Never share towels/clothing.
-Always wash towels and underwear daily.
-Don't sleep exposed unless you want to wash your sheets daily too.
-Wash yourself daily.
-Use your discretion but I didn't have issue with washing my towel with other ppl's towels
-ACV worked regardless of the MC size (i had big and small MC)
-If it's too strong on your skin you may want to dilute ACV. Keep in mind that it'll take longer to work if at all
-I didn't like the bath with ACV idea as it means exposing much more skin to the ACV and bath is very contagious for MC
-At the end with lots of experience I only applied ACV 1/day. When I started I did it once or twice depending on how moist the tissue was and my timing. It's up to you. The important thing is that the MC is exposed to the ACV for at least 16hrs straight daily.
-There's a site offering some sort of ACV secret cure for $ which is some sort of scam because the info I gave here and that others have given tell all the secrets you need to know about apple cider vinegar.
-From start to finish I would say it takes about 1 week from the first ACV to the point when the MC falls off

Some random facts about MC:
Molluscum contagiosum is NOT in the bloodstream.
It is a surface virus that grows on the skin and only on the skin.
It is one of the only STD viruses that can be completely cured so don't panic if you have it !!!
It can be transmitted in a shared pool
ACV kills the molluscum contagiosum by suffocating it in an alkaline environment which it cannot survive in.
MC doesn't grow in the same place twice
The body will naturally fight it off and after 1-2yrs the MC would be gone naturally without ACV intervention.
If it's cured you can keep it a secret ;)

Offline overit

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: 23/07/2013 16:29:01 »
I've been dealing with MC since December and I'm so ready to be done with it. I've gotten to the point of being able to deal with individual bumps that pop up- acv has worked really well to treat bumps once I see them, BUT new ones keep showing up and I can't figure out why. I don't take baths- only shower, I don't use a washcloth or loufa to wash for fear of spreading it, I don't use a towel more than once, I don't use a towel to dry off infected areas- only toilet paper, I wash my hands all the time, but somehow new mc bumps keep showing up.

Anytime I see a new bump I take a small piece of cotton and soak it in acv. I keep it in place with a nexcare waterproof tape overnight and this has been really effective in turning the bumps white and then they eventually scab over. But then just when all the bumps are healed, new ones show up, sometimes in a completely different area- so somehow they are spreading.

So far, except for one bump, mine has been kept to my bikini area, but I'm so scared that they'll start showing up in other areas. I just don't understand how I keep getting new ones- has anyone figured out how to prevent new ones popping up- what am I missing in my routine?

Offline coolmen669

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: 23/07/2013 20:08:27 »
i think you can start your Molluscum Contagiosum Treatment by:

Don't the begining.
Set some mp3 or possibly a bandage in the blobs.
Don't share bathroom towels or perhaps washcloths.
If your blobs are generally on your own experience, tend not to shave.
If your blobs have been in your oral location, stay clear of sex contact.
you can find uot more info at this newbielink:http://molluscumcontagiosumtreatment3.wordpress.com/ [nonactive] website.
« Last Edit: 23/07/2013 20:11:42 by coolmen669 »

Offline mctreatment

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: 04/08/2013 22:54:22 »
@overit
I'm happy to hear that ACV is working for you. It sounds like you are doing everything right with this method. Hopefully you haven't been shaving the infected area. I had a similar experience as yours with the bumps seeming to pop up at random places even after I thought they were gone. My dermatologist told me that it can take time (even months) for new bumps to show themselves. It is not necessarily something that you're doing wrong but just that the bumps were already there to begin with from an earlier breakout and just couldn't be seen until now.

My advice is to stay on top of them and be unscrupulous when you see one. I've had to learn each millimeter of my skin on the infected area (something I wish I never needed to know!) so that I would notice any new bump before it had a chance to create friction from walking and spread itself some more. I also took a few pictures for reference.

Since the MC u have left is very small or too small to see perhaps consider the ACV bath. I was very close to trying a version of this that involved taking a disposable rag and soaking it in part ACV and part water (somewhere between 20% to 50% ACV) and placing it over the entire infected area for a few hours each day for 5-7 days depending on the concentration of ACV used. The more you use and the longer u use it for the greater the likelihood that it'll work. The reason to dilute it is that u want to minimize the damage to healthy skin but still be strong enough to take care of the weaker/hidden MC. The last resort would be doing this with 100% ACV which I do not recommend if you like your skin but I did jokingly think of it as dropping a nuke on the MC to win the war.

Hope this helps. Stay strong !
« Last Edit: 04/08/2013 22:57:38 by mctreatment »

Offline mc-hater

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: 08/08/2013 04:31:07 »
I am a 20 year old female and I've had MC for many months. It started out as a simple bump near my nose and I picked at it and couldn't figure out what it was.. but I ignored it, figuring that it would go away by itself. In the next two months, two other bumps appeared at the bridge of my nose. I could deal with three bumps.. but then I left the US to go to Nepal, a humid country near India, to visit my family. Here, it quickly spread (later i found out this was because of the humidity and poor air quality in Nepal) all over the right side of my face. My face looked terrible with bumps on my eyelids, lip, cheeks, everywhere.. and there were so many, some big some tiny. I went to a dermatologist and she told me the easiest way was to use laser treatment. This required a whole day of putting ointment on my face, but the laser treatment hurt like CRAPPP!! omg it was the most painful thing, she was literally burning off each and every one of the bumps from my face hoping to kill the white seed inside  each bump. then she tweezed and pulled off the small ones. these left many scabs and scars that eventually healed in the span of 10 days.. even though that was PAINFUL!! i thought it was over......

but not for MC...

it came back with a vengance. I returned to the US and I see more tiny stupid bumps starting on my forehead and cheeks. I dont know what to do and I'm starting to PANIC!!! II thought the trauma of the laser treatment was enough pain, but no, I have to deal with these again. I dont have them on any other part of my body, just my face (for now) and I dont know what treatments to use on it. Would the Apple Cider vinegar be a good idea on the face? I heard it burns a lot?? PLEASSSSSEEE help! I am trying the coconut oil idea right now because I have that on hand.. if the ACV idea really works I am willing to try it, the only problem is that I have some near my eye and I am wondering how to apply ACV on those. Also, people mentioned that the soaked gauze with ACV should be applied with a bandaid to those areas for 12-13 hours? is that a good idea on the face as well? Thank you guys for your help so far, glad to know I'm not alone in this.

Offline ahilliard77

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: 08/08/2013 18:48:09 »
My daughter contracted molluscum from my nephew about a year ago. After talking to my sister in law and taking her to her pediatrician and being told by both there is really no treatment I was very frustrated. Ive tried everything from the apple cider to wart removers. I finally said "ok, nothing is working" the least I can do is help stop the itching to keep it from spreading. I have been putting calamine  lotion on everyday for the past week and it seems to be drying them up. She started with at least 100 of them on her back, back of her neck and behind her knees. She now has a few on her back.

Offline zeljka6871

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: 30/09/2013 06:44:47 »
What I learned about MC while my kid had it....

First of all I want to tell you that every child is different and every MC is different and it does not mean that your child will have MC as long as somebody else's and that it will look as bad as some pictures of MC posted on the internet. Another thing is that MC is not anything serious to worry about. It does look ugly but there are so many other things that can be wrong and you should keep telling yourself that. MC is going to go away and it will be just an unpleasant memory like it is to me now.
For the first two months whatever you do it will not show any results. You have to be persistent and patient.  I was trying lots of different things and creams but I cannot say that any of that helped magically. MC had to run its course and first two months were the hardest. When I saw that none of the creams I found on the internet promising miracle did not work, I decided to attack MC from the inside. I started to bust my child's immune system with lots of healthy meals full of vegetables and fruits. I read somewhere that carrots had something in them to fight skin viruses, so I was making sure my child had enough of carrots every day and also lots of vitamin c. Whatever he did not eat in his diet, I would put it in a juicer and make him a juice to drink. He was eating very healthy and drinking lots of fruit/veggies drinks. That was for the whole time he had MC.  I did not give any supplements for boosting immune system because my child was only 3.5 years old but I sure made sure had had plenty of vitamins from food.
I would hide vegetables in his meatloaf or pasta sauce and made him lots of soups with plenty of veggies in it. 

My hygiene was extreme during that time. I washed my hands million times a day and made him wash his hands very often. I did laundry every day and he had clean pj's every night and clean towels every day and also his pillowcases were washed every day. His MC never spread to another body parts. It started on his ribs and spread to his underarms and never went anywhere else except when it started to go away he got one on his elbow.

I also learned that quick showers are much better than baths. Quick shower and than drying MC with paper towel and everything else with a clean towel. Towels and his clothes I washed in hot water every day. I was buying lots of paper towels because I had so much laundry to do anyhow. After shower their skin needs to be moisturized. I was very afraid of moisturizers because I thought that if I put cream on it and than i put it on his healthy skin it would spread. That is why it is the best to use a cream in the tube so you put first on the healthy skin and than you put where MC is. After that you wash your hands. I would use different fingers while applying cream on MC and the rest of the cream was protected because it was in the tube. Any cream is good. Cetaphil cream is great but it does not come in a tube but in a big jar. Take the cream with something other than your fingers and than carefully apply on the MC.   MC thrives on a dry skin but cannot spread on moisturized skin. Healthy skin around MC needs to be moisturized all the time. Put moisturizer as often as you can.

If the cream you are using for MC irritates your child's skin than do not put it very often. Give some time for the skin to heal. On those days just put moisturizer. Never skip a day without moisturizing the whole body. I was putting band aids during that day and I would let skin breathe during the night. Use small band aids so only small amount of skin will be irritated from the band aid.

I hope this will help. Do not forget to moisturize your hands too. My hands became so dry and started cracking up because of all that washing and it took me long time to repair them but at that time I did not care about myself but just focusing all of my energy on my child. Cook healthy meals during the weekend and freeze them so you can have some break during the week to make juices, wash laundry and take care of your child's skin. Make healthy juice on daily basis. Drink some of it too because you will need energy too. MC takes at least two months to go away and it might take longer. If you do all of this, it probably will not take that much longer. My child had it for 3 months and than I could see that it was going to go away. It took another month for that much milder case of MC to go complicatedly away. The last month his MC looked much different. Not so red and irritated but calm and much smaller. Than I took him to the dermatologist and we froze only one. I did not want to freeze the ones he had before because they looked so inflamed and red. I thought it would probably hurt him too much. The one we froze at the dermatologist's office was on his elbow. Very soon after that his MC went away and for two years he is free of MC. I think it would have gone away anyways but I was so fed up with it and wanted something more aggressive especially because he got one on his elbow where the skin was not so sensitive.

That was my experience with MC. I hope that I will help other parents with this post and that is why I decided to write it.

Offline autumn1

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: 04/10/2013 12:40:40 »
I have been researching molluscum for the last several days.  Nearly every account I have read describes the lesions as "painless."

Does anyone here have any experience with these lesions always being "very painful?"

Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline mcv_dad

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: 06/10/2013 09:50:48 »
It is a little disheartening reading through this forum. So many people suffer from molluscum and so few seem to know how to cure it. There is a cure for molluscum - it is simple and painless. My three children and wife had molluscum and we followed the advice given on this site -  no commercial links please - simple.
« Last Edit: 09/10/2013 21:47:18 by JP »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #399 on: 06/10/2013 09:50:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums