The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?  (Read 1465011 times)

Offline heardm

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?
« Reply #75 on: 15/09/2006 16:29:24 »
Well the Silver Stuff pot has arrived, and if it's half as efficient as Fed-ex we're onto a winner (though looking at the statements on this thread i'm thinking wishfully)!!
I'm going to trial the Zymaderm on one leg and the Silver Stuff on the other. I may or may not also pee on her body (not literally!) to see how that goes too.
I have looked online at the Aldara Cream as mentioned in Iain's (ibprentice) thread, and this looks promising. I'm wondering though if GP's are reluctant to prescribe this because of the cost £57 for 12 sachets. Am i being too cynical of the NHS? This cream is an immunomodulator and basically gets the body to target each individual wart to fight it. Though isn't recommended for children, so i may be scuppered there.
I'll update after a few days - hopefully with some posisitve news!

Cheers

Mike ; )

Offline any

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 18/09/2006 12:54:45 »
Rub a lot of oil (your choice of which type you use Ė I prefer nut oil) to the affected skin and leave it for a few hours to be absorbed.  It does not matter if you cover the area with clothing or not since there is a lot of oil still on the skin and can still be absorbed.  I imagine thicker oils take longer to be absorbed.  Do this at least twice a day and you should see the spots either starting to burst (larger ones) or pulled back into the skin (smaller ones) within a week.  I think oil based moisturising creams (according what agrees with your skin) works as well but slower.  Total removal with no reoccurrence with some faint scarring may take two weeks but not nearly as noticeable as the spots themselves.  Note this is not a cure but maintenance.  After all the spots on the affected area have gone you can drop the application down to once a week or less if you want.

Donít use the silver cream from molluscum.com since it does nothing fast and just leaves your skin shiny around the spots emphasising their visibility.  However I did notice that the numbers stopped increasing for a while but the spots did not go away.

You can try the natural oils from the two main websites but it will be very obvious to others that you are using it by the smell.  These oils are very expensive, got to keep up with treatment and then it gets frustrating when more spots appear despite your best efforts, very easy to rub off by clothing or objects once since it is only applied to the top of the protruding spots and not the surrounding area.  I have found that Heal Warts does not do much after the first 2 weeks of use and by the 8th week you end up getting frustrated because the number of spots did not decrease they just got bigger and more itchy.

Offline any

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 18/09/2006 12:54:45 »
Rub a lot of oil (your choice of which type you use Ė I prefer nut oil) to the affected skin and leave it for a few hours to be absorbed.  It does not matter if you cover the area with clothing or not since there is a lot of oil still on the skin and can still be absorbed.  I imagine thicker oils take longer to be absorbed.  Do this at least twice a day and you should see the spots either starting to burst (larger ones) or pulled back into the skin (smaller ones) within a week.  I think oil based moisturising creams (according what agrees with your skin) works as well but slower.  Total removal with no reoccurrence with some faint scarring may take two weeks but not nearly as noticeable as the spots themselves.  Note this is not a cure but maintenance.  After all the spots on the affected area have gone you can drop the application down to once a week or less if you want.

Donít use the silver cream from molluscum.com since it does nothing fast and just leaves your skin shiny around the spots emphasising their visibility.  However I did notice that the numbers stopped increasing for a while but the spots did not go away.

You can try the natural oils from the two main websites but it will be very obvious to others that you are using it by the smell.  These oils are very expensive, got to keep up with treatment and then it gets frustrating when more spots appear despite your best efforts, very easy to rub off by clothing or objects once since it is only applied to the top of the protruding spots and not the surrounding area.  I have found that Heal Warts does not do much after the first 2 weeks of use and by the 8th week you end up getting frustrated because the number of spots did not decrease they just got bigger and more itchy.

Offline mum

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 24/09/2006 03:08:06 »
My 2 sons have MC and They are quickly spreading.  We started using the Aldara cream ~2 months ago.  ($500. for a 3 month supply) It has cleared a couple of the bigger spots by causing them to erupt.  It does look like it may scar, time will tell.  We were using the cream 3 times a week and recently switched to nightly use.  
I am interested in trying the tea tree oil idea.  If we ahe success, will let all know.

Offline mumof2

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 24/09/2006 03:13:49 »
My 2 sons have MC and They are quickly spreading.  We started using the Aldara cream ~2 months ago.  ($500. for a 3 month supply) It has cleared a couple of the bigger spots by causing them to erupt.  It does look like it may scar, time will tell.  We were using the cream 3 times a week and recently switched to nightly use.  
I am interested in trying the tea tree oil idea.  If we ahe success, will let all know.

Offline mumof2

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 24/09/2006 03:14:40 »

Offline warty

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 24/09/2006 15:43:28 »
Hi,
I have not been sexually active for a whole year:(partly because I got a very severe but temporary virus that kept me in bed for 3 months, ect.  I stayed for a month at my sister's. My sister had caught molluscum about 9 months before and was unsure if she caught if from her (soon to be ex)husband or not, as he finally admitted some unfaithfulness. She also is with kids a lot, so...
But I had never heard of this illness before and now, after the average 7 week incubation period, I first got a big bunch of itchy bumps on vulva and now they are going to arms, legs,shoulders,etc as had no idea what it was at first and didn't pay close attention to washing hands ect.  So, unless incubation is a year, it is definitely possible to get them without getting sexually transmitted.  At my sister's I didn't pay close attention either as i neither knew she still had it, not that is was contagious (here is where the doctors make a big mistake saying it's almost always sexually transmitted!!! [:(!]First went to gynocologist who didn't know what it was cause when she's seen it before it was individual bumps and not a cluster like mine[:(!]. She sent me to dermatologist who confirmed that is very probably molluscum and offered to burn them off by acid.  I'm going to try the urine, cause i have heard of several people who used urine for other skin ailments, successfully. I have not ever wanted to try it, but then never had a skin ailment before since chicken pox at 5!  Here i read a few people have used it very successfully, so not too expensive, just a little wierd, especially if it doesnt work!
Well anyways, I can say that you can rest assured that there is no proof that you're girlfriend has had relations with someone else for a long time.  If she tends to be very honest about everything, she probably is. that's my experience anyways.
good luck!!

quote:
Originally posted by mjboone79

wow, its good to see other people dealing with the same thing. my girlfriend was diagnosed with molluscum a few weeks ago. we have been together for 7 months and i havent shown any signs so the first thing i thought was that she cheated on me (due to the area that it was on). to be honest ive still been struggling with that idea even though there have been no other signs. anyway, after some research i realized i had had it about 2 years ago. in my reading of web forums there seem to be alot of people whos partners are unaffected by this virus, therefore supporting the idea of immunity and general ease of tramsmission. however, this also supports the idea that the virus never truely goes away and can still be transmitted. on another forum i found a doctor who insists that it cannot be transmitted by towels and such and is only transmitted sexually when amongst adults. his theory is that it would be all over all of us if it were transmitted so easily. my theory on this is that children have much softer and more sensitive skin. adult skin is alot tougher, except for areas like the genitals which dont see much wear and tear and almost never get seen by the sun. any thoughts on that??

Offline warty

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 24/09/2006 15:44:43 »
Hi,
I have not been sexually active for a whole year:(partly because I got a very severe but temporary virus that kept me in bed for 3 months, ect.  I stayed for a month at my sister's. My sister had caught molluscum about 9 months before and was unsure if she caught if from her (soon to be ex)husband or not, as he finally admitted some unfaithfulness. She also is with kids a lot, so...
But I had never heard of this illness before and now, after the average 7 week incubation period, I first got a big bunch of itchy bumps on vulva and now they are going to arms, legs,shoulders,etc as had no idea what it was at first and didn't pay close attention to washing hands ect.  So, unless incubation is a year, it is definitely possible to get them without getting sexually transmitted.  At my sister's I didn't pay close attention either as i neither knew she still had it, not that is was contagious (here is where the doctors make a big mistake saying it's almost always sexually transmitted!!! [:(!]First went to gynocologist who didn't know what it was cause when she's seen it before it was individual bumps and not a cluster like mine[:(!]. She sent me to dermatologist who confirmed that is very probably molluscum and offered to burn them off by acid.  I'm going to try the urine, cause i have heard of several people who used urine for other skin ailments, successfully. I have not ever wanted to try it, but then never had a skin ailment before since chicken pox at 5!  Here i read a few people have used it very successfully, so not too expensive, just a little wierd, especially if it doesnt work!
Well anyways, I can say that you can rest assured that there is no proof that you're girlfriend has had relations with someone else for a long time.  If she tends to be very honest about everything, she probably is. that's my experience anyways.
good luck!!

quote:
Originally posted by mjboone79

wow, its good to see other people dealing with the same thing. my girlfriend was diagnosed with molluscum a few weeks ago. we have been together for 7 months and i havent shown any signs so the first thing i thought was that she cheated on me (due to the area that it was on). to be honest ive still been struggling with that idea even though there have been no other signs. anyway, after some research i realized i had had it about 2 years ago. in my reading of web forums there seem to be alot of people whos partners are unaffected by this virus, therefore supporting the idea of immunity and general ease of tramsmission. however, this also supports the idea that the virus never truely goes away and can still be transmitted. on another forum i found a doctor who insists that it cannot be transmitted by towels and such and is only transmitted sexually when amongst adults. his theory is that it would be all over all of us if it were transmitted so easily. my theory on this is that children have much softer and more sensitive skin. adult skin is alot tougher, except for areas like the genitals which dont see much wear and tear and almost never get seen by the sun. any thoughts on that??

Offline johnnyam

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 25/09/2006 22:33:24 »
Well, I have bad news for you guys. I had MC 13 years ago. After repeated visits to the dermatologist, they finally stopped coming back about 11 years ago......until I found 10 on my stomach last week. I never had them on my stomach before.
Well, he froze the areas with liquid Nitrogen. Now they are all the size of bright red dimes. That should take care of them, but I'm sure that new ones will pop up. they always seem to. My doc said that once you get MC you should never get it again. Well....I managed to get it somehow. I haven't had any new sexual contact with anyone as I've been with the same person for 8 years! -And they don't have any MC either.
I have purchased the SilverCure and will use it if any new bumps come up. I'll report back here if is see any result either way. Good luck to you all.

Offline warty

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 03/10/2006 22:49:26 »
Hi,
I feel pretty upset! I had about 60 warts, spreading out from a mass of them on my vulva and down to my knees and eaking up towards my belly.  i started using urine a bit and also betadine(iodine solution) tea tree oil and vitamin e, as well as starting to take vitamin C and echinecia.  a couple of days later i had an appointment with the dermatolist who looked through a sort of magnifying glass and confirmed that it was definitly molluscum. he said it's very contagious and must be treated right away, by burning them. i made an appointment with him for the next day.  I called him back that afternoon to ask if it would scar. He said only a little at first and then that would go away completely. That was about a week ago. Now I have noticable sores all up my thighs and on my vulva. Before, only the mass on the vulva was really noticable as the color was quite close to skin color, not this reddish-dark brown sores all over. And some of them look deep enough that i have a very hard time believing that they're going to disappear any time soon.  i've hence looked this up on the web and see that is says that this burning method very often does scar. i'm really angry that this guy would say that it doesn't, just to get more patients.  Also molluscum continues to spread a bit. This also corresponds to what ive read, that this burning treatment is not known to be highly efficient.  i'm usually much more prudent about research on treatment. But since he said it was a rush and i was pretty dismayed to have this big lump on my vulva, and also because he was recommended by an accupuncturist who seems quite competant, i bought into it. Now i think i may have scars for life. I'm supposed to go back next week, but i don't know!

anybody have any experience with this burning with electricity. i'd love to hear that it didn't cause scars.

Offline M.I.A.

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 04/10/2006 21:10:50 »
I don't know if this will help, but here is my story. I have had molluscum for 6 months now only on the shaft of my genitalia.

I began first with curettage of the lesions on my first trip to the doc. Then on my second trip the Doc was off and saw a different doc who froze them. Then on my third trip they gave me a prescription for Aldara. I researched and just read horror stories about this cream, so I decided to do more investigating.

I emailed with someone what they did to get rid of them. She told me she had them frozen every 3 weeks and took echinachia. She also said that she had them for 4 months and has not had any in a year. This was about 5 months ago.

I scrapped my regular doc because I just didn't like their approach and started seeing a derm. He told me the best thing is freezing. I saw him 3 times in six weeks because the lesions would get frozen one day and I would have 3-4 new ones the very next. After the lesions healed and were gone there were some areas that have been left with the loss of pigmentation. I decided I did not want this, so i looked to alternative treatments. I bought Zymaderm and have been using it off and on as prescribed for 3 months.

This liquid seemed to work rather quickly on the larger ones, but the smaller ones seem to be more difficult to get rid of. Also the lesions as of the last two months don't seem to come as frequent. The longest I have gone without a noticble lesion was 2 weeks.

I have alo removed the core of some of the larger lesions and this seems to be the best treatment. You have to wait for the lesion's core to be noticble and after a hot shower pluck it out or grab it out with a tissue so that it does not spread. I have not had any scarring with this method. I have also covered the lesions with the sticky part of band-aids until the core comes out. This does seem to help pull them out and possibly the spread to other areas.

I also tried Thuja, but it did nothing, but I don't know if the place I got it from is very reputable.

Offline IwishIknew

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 05/10/2006 19:25:56 »
I got this disease (Molluscum) 2 months ago.  I first noticed it when I found a strange bump on my superpubic area when I was about to shave again.  Concerned; I cut the thing off (I don't think that one came back), later I thought I found another, so I shaved my area and several more appeared shortly after on the opposite side of where the first appeared and on the side of my genetalia.  I self-diagnosed and went to the dermatologist to confirm it.  He swears up and down I got it from sex.  If I did, it was 6 months prior to the first legion appearing and she didn't have any visible on her.  I tend to notice those things.

I've scoured the web looking for a good information resource on this disease but I've only gotten 3 kinds of websites.  (1) Typical Dermatologist Brochure (2) Medicial Documentation (Jargon) (3) Cure it all my remedy works best.

I trust the Medical Documentation but often it doesn't answer all the questions people have, and the Demratologist handout types of sites are vastly outdated and frustrating when trying to find new information.

I'm going to post the period of time this takes me to "cure", the treatments I am using and the effectiveness of each.  I want to collaborate and make a useful resource for people who happen to get this disease and need help coping/curing it.  I'm also going to ask questions to you guys since you all may have the knowledge I seek.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~WHAT I AM DOING ABOUT IT~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Currently I am doing Cryosurgery with my Dermotologist every 2-3 weeks on the legions visible.  This will be my 3rd visit today.  It visably seems to be reacting to treatment.  After both Treatments only a couple of the more stubborn legions remained, the others seemed to go away.

Cryo 1st Visit:  13 Legions
Cryo 2nd Visit:  7 Legions
Cryo 3rd Visit:  (Later today)

I'm cleaning the whole area with Alcohol 4-6 times a day as perscribed after Cryosurgery as well as using a topical (Will post the name of it later) for Foliculitis which the Demro said would also help with this disease.

I'm also started using Ozonated Oil for awhile and it seemed to have an effect on the legions, but I did not use it all the time due to the smell of it.  I'd hate to be at work or out with friends spelling like rancid oil.  --The effect I noticed it having was instead of being red the legions turned to a more fleshtone color and seemed to be going down.  I'm going to be testing it once per day at night starting today since the couple times I used it, it seemed to have a positive effect.    I have an oriental medicine doctor friend of our family that turned me on to the stuff.

For me, the only sensable way I can go about dealing with this disease is borderline paranoia.  As soon as I realized I had it I had all my sheets washed immediately and I've been sleeping fully clothed as well as refraining from working up a sweat or anything that could possibly allow the legions to rub all over other Healthy skin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MY MAJOR QUESTION~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is there any good firm Resource for the period it takes an infected area of the body to appear?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only resource I found said infected areas would appear anywhere from 1 week to 6 months.  I want to confirm if that is crediable or if someone else has a better resource.

Because like those of you concerened who have it or have had it, I don't want ANYONE else to have this worthless, waste of time disease.

What bothers me is the fact it SEEMS like you could have no visable legions and still pass this disease to someone else.

I'd really feel more comfortable knowing after period of time X that if I did not see any legions appear it would be safe for me to touch another human being.

It is a particularly frustrating feeling to feel like I am not able to touch any area of skin on my own body let alone someone elses.

If there is any other valuable research on this disease going on, I'd appreciate someone posting it.
« Last Edit: 05/10/2006 19:50:25 by IwishIknew »

Offline M.I.A.

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 05/10/2006 20:17:26 »
Here we go IwishIknew,

Most websites say it can last from a few months to a few years.

The answer to knowing when to touch someone, is that no one knows. I did see one website that said it is not like herpes and my dermatologist told me the same thing in the sense that when it is gone you no longer have it. However, I bought a maginfying glass to get an up close look. It may look like you don't have them anymore with the naked eye, but upclose you can see some very small red pencil tipped size lesions. look for one or two in an area about the size of a dime.

Everything that I have read on incubation says the same thing up tp about 6 months. I have emailed with several people that have had it gotten rid of it and moved on to having unprotected sexual relations with their partner who has never gotten it.

If you want to excercise, Cover the areas with bandages. If the lesions have been frozen make sure they have the padded part of the bandage on them, the tape will rip the skin right off and definatley leave a scar or loss of pigmentation.

To avoid spreading them, don't shave the infected area or take baths.

Most of the current research is being done on HIV patients and usually invoves a whole cocktail of treatments together such as Cryosurgery and immune boosting creams such as Cidofivir.

Offline IwishIknew

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 06/10/2006 02:15:05 »
Well.

Appointment 3:  All of the legions are gone, now it is just tissue healing.

"The answer to knowing when to touch someone, is that no one knows."

-I asked the dermatologist how long would I have to wait with no legions to be clear of this virus.  He told me after the 4 week check that I am going back for, if there are none then to not even worry about it anymore.  (He has 34 years experience)

So my Dermatologist seems to think 1 full month without new legions appearing -> You're ok.

"If you want to excercise, Cover the areas with bandages. If the lesions have been frozen make sure they have the padded part of the bandage on them, the tape will rip the skin right off and definatley leave a scar or loss of pigmentation."

-It isn't worth that much effort to me, I'd rather wait it out then have to worry about it.

Thanks for the response M.I.A. !

Offline warty

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 06/10/2006 23:59:24 »
DONT USE ELECTRICAL REMOVAL

I untypically accepted the dermatoligist's order to remove them immediately with electrosurgery. I called him back the evening before to ask if that would cause scarring. He said no, just a little red spot that will disappear.  I have hence read on almost all sites that there is risk of scarring. I had  a few-inches patch on my inner thigh that he treated and now, 8 days later, it is still all reddish and burnt looking area, like a healed mild 2nd degree burn. This may take a year to heal or may not heal at all. A week ago I had nice soft skin, now i'm all scarred up, red and blotchy!

I'm not sure if I can sue him as he lied to me about the results. I really dont want to go to the bother of suing him, but this is worse than the molluscum, unnatural and looks like it'll be longer lasting. I still have to use other treatments, cause it continues to spread. There's no way i'm going to let him roast my skin again!

Offline warty

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 10/10/2006 20:07:54 »
Am still dealing with this. Am using betadine (iodine based product)2 x a day, changing towels twice a day (bought some new ones), using vitamin e and tea tree oil in the morning and have on and off used peepee therapy. Taking a bath seems to foster lots of molluscum. The other things mentioned above seem to keep it from spreading to quickly. My immunity is low after having contracted a temporary but serious illness last spring.   I'm taking echinicea and vitamin c, not eating sugar and doing my best to eat healthily.
Any other suggestions? I am still getting mini-spots appearing, but the treatment seems to keep most of them at bay or even make them disappear (? time will tell).  But then one pops up someplace i hadn't been treating. Wish me luck and send advice if you can.
Thanks!

Offline Jenn899

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 13/10/2006 07:01:33 »
My boyfriend had some on his elbow and somehow i started getting some on various parts of my body and then the genitals, since i didn't know what it was at the time i wasn't too careful. I read somewhere about the duct tape so i tried that, worked for a bit but what really worked was after the tape and once you are clean, i read that you can apply a sort of acid which you can find in face cleansers such as "Clearasil" and it worked!!! i applied it everytime i got out of the shower and i dont get them anymore...so try it!

quote:
Originally posted by bezoar

Have a grandson with molluscum, which I am told is a form of pox virus.  Currently, he's being treated with some caustic chemical by the dermatologist.  Is there any alternative treatment?  Any truth to the use of duct tape with warts, and would that help?

Bezoar

Offline Jenn899

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 13/10/2006 07:06:02 »
I had some on my genitals and read somewhere that a certain acid that you find in face cleansers can help...such as "Clearasil" pads...it worked, i don't have them anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by bezoar

Have a grandson with molluscum, which I am told is a form of pox virus.  Currently, he's being treated with some caustic chemical by the dermatologist.  Is there any alternative treatment?  Any truth to the use of duct tape with warts, and would that help?

Bezoar

Offline crazed121

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 18/10/2006 10:52:21 »
Hi,

Just wanted to post about my experience with genital molluscum. I've had it now for about 5 months, to everyone who currently has it don't let it get to you, you'll get rid of it with time & patience. I tried so many things to get rid of them as quickly as possible. The only thing I think worked was popping each of them, no matter how small they were. My dermatologist showed me how-to do it properly. I was trying to pop them like a pimple but the way to do it is take your thumbnails, get as far under one of the bumps as far as you can, close them together tightly and pull up still pinching your thumbnails together until the white core comes out. The only way you'll know if it's been popped correctly is if bleeding occurs. It's a little painfull and messy but a day or two later their completely gone.

I've had the odd one or two come back but I popped them as soon as i saw them and they were gone too. Same as a pimple, you pop it, white stuff comes out, day or two later it's gone. Don't waste your money on those Aldara creams like I did. Get in the shower, practice on one of them and the rest is easy.

Good Luck!

Offline Chrets

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 23/10/2006 06:21:01 »
I've been diagnosed with Molluscum a couple of weeks ago. I've been doing a lot of research on the subject since I was going crazy looking at those bumps on my pubis. Yeah, I must have caught it during sexual intercourse...damn alchool. So I went to my doc 2 wweks ago; he burned the bumps with liquid azote. I read a lot about tea tree oil, and i've been using it on the lesions, and it seems to help the healing process of the burned ones. But i don't think it is doing anything to the new ones...:(
I'm fraking out, and i have a couple of questions. I read a lot about cases were subjects were stuck with this **** for years...are those exceptionnal cases? Does anybody heard of other people geting rid of molluscum within months?
I'm also getting paranoid. For instance, is washing hands with ordinary soap and water enough to prevent molluscum to grow elsewhere on your body, while you shower for instance? I always wash the infected area last, i never take baths, and I'm using tea tree oil on the lesions...is there something important i'm missing? From now on, the moment i see a bump on my body, i'm freaking out...does mollusucum spread that easily? In my case, the lesions appearded about 4-5 months after the intercourse...does that mean that in 5 months, molluscum can appear anywhere on my body I touched when i wasn't aware of the problem before I noticed the bumps?
Damn...i'm going nuts about this. Thanks to all of you to share your experience with other people...helps me a lot. :)

(I apologize for the crappy english...i'm french canadian :D )
Nick

Offline johnnyam

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 26/10/2006 07:03:21 »
Well, I can report back that the Silvercure does indeed work on me. Since my trip to the dermatologist a month ago. I still am pink from the cryo freezing process. BUT, I have had 6 or 7 new ones pop up. I applied the Silvercure twice a day and after 3 or 4 days the new ones dissappear. After a week, they are practically gone and it's hard to apply as you can't find where they were. Seriuosly, One morning I found my first new bump after my first freezing trip to the dermatologist. I was upset obviously. I was going to be out of the house all day for a sporting event so I applied Silvercure to the bump and tried to forget about it. I had a few too many beers that day and forgot to apply it that night. I awoke the next morning dreading checking out the bump.  When I examined it, it was smaller and much less red than it was the day before. After 5 days it was completely gone. I was pleased....but, I still wasn't convinced as it could have perhaps been something other than a molluscum. So, I just kept a watchfull eye. As time progressed, there have been several confirmed molluscums that went away quickly with the Silvercure in less than a week.

My advice is try it. If it doesn't work, well, you're only out $30 and they say that they have a money back guarantee.

P.S. One of the ones that was frozen came back. None of the ones treated by Silvercure have reappeared....yet. I'll let you guys know. I've only been treating the "reappeared one" for a couple of days with the silvercure. the bump is smaller, but still there.
« Last Edit: 26/10/2006 07:06:39 by johnnyam »

Offline heardm

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 26/10/2006 13:04:57 »
Well Hoorah at last!! My daughter's molluscum seem to be on the mend! I'm dubious whether this is attributable to either the Silver cream (stuff!) or the Zymaderm, and tend to think it must have been her immune system finally kicking in. She has got a few red marks where some of the spots have been, which will hopefull fade in time. I read somewhere that Molluscum is going to be the new chicken-pox due to it's potentially contagious nature. I just hope she doesn't have a recurrence.
Good luck to all those suffering, time will sort it, but patience is required.

Offline heardm

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 27/10/2006 16:46:14 »
I've been diagnosed with Molluscum a couple of weeks ago. I've been doing a lot of research on the subject since I was going crazy looking at those bumps on my pubis. Yeah, I must have caught it during sexual intercourse...damn alchool. So I went to my doc 2 wweks ago; he burned the bumps with liquid azote. I read a lot about tea tree oil, and i've been using it on the lesions, and it seems to help the healing process of the burned ones. But i don't think it is doing anything to the new ones...:(
I'm fraking out, and i have a couple of questions. I read a lot about cases were subjects were stuck with this **** for years...are those exceptionnal cases? Does anybody heard of other people geting rid of molluscum within months?
I'm also getting paranoid. For instance, is washing hands with ordinary soap and water enough to prevent molluscum to grow elsewhere on your body, while you shower for instance? I always wash the infected area last, i never take baths, and I'm using tea tree oil on the lesions...is there something important i'm missing? From now on, the moment i see a bump on my body, i'm freaking out...does mollusucum spread that easily? In my case, the lesions appearded about 4-5 months after the intercourse...does that mean that in 5 months, molluscum can appear anywhere on my body I touched when i wasn't aware of the problem before I noticed the bumps?
Damn...i'm going nuts about this. Thanks to all of you to share your experience with other people...helps me a lot. :)

(I apologize for the crappy english...i'm french canadian :D )
Nick

Nick

From what i understand the molluscum become contagious when they appear to open up (revealing a white core). Potentially when this is the case you can transfer them and spread them around. My daughter had them only around her thighs but through contact they spread to her belly and arms.
If things are bad ask you Doctor for Aldara cream. This is reputed to help as it allows your body to target the molluscum more vigorously.

Good Luck

Mike

Offline crayola110

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 01/11/2006 23:23:17 »
crazed121 :
Hi,

Just wanted to post about my experience with genital molluscum. I've had it now for about 5 months, to everyone who currently has it don't let it get to you, you'll get rid of it with time & patience. I tried so many things to get rid of them as quickly as possible. The only thing I think worked was popping each of them, no matter how small they were. My dermatologist showed me how-to do it properly. I was trying to pop them like a pimple but the way to do it is take your thumbnails, get as far under one of the bumps as far as you can, close them together tightly and pull up still pinching your thumbnails together until the white core comes out. The only way you'll know if it's been popped correctly is if bleeding occurs. It's a little painfull and messy but a day or two later their completely gone.

I've had the odd one or two come back but I popped them as soon as i saw them and they were gone too. Same as a pimple, you pop it, white stuff comes out, day or two later it's gone. Don't waste your money on those Aldara creams like I did. Get in the shower, practice on one of them and the rest is easy.

Good Luck!

I just tried your advice on my molluscum. 

Background. I'm 25 and I was diagnosed as having molluscum a yr ago probably due to sexual intercorse about a year ago.  Back then it went away with a freezing and some retin-A after about 2 months.  Well about 2 months ago it came back after being gone for a year. I think it came back due to sexual intercorse again.

This time i tried the same treatment (freezing done twice over 3 wks, and applying retin A[retinol]) This time it didnt work as well.  I would freeze them then they'd shrink and turn black.  Then the tips would scab off only to show smaller clusters beneath which would regrow into larger clusters, greyish in color.  So since this hasn't seemed to work i tried the above remedy (popping them)

Surprizingly they  come off quite easy just pinching them off and getting the insides squeezed out.  I just tried this on 4 of my 16 molluscum lesions.  They came off quite easily w/ a fair amount of blood and a liitle pain.

Although i just tried this it looks like i'm getting good results as the whole wart just gets picked off.  After a couple days healing (& applying alcohol to clean and some neosporin) i will start picking off the rest of these nasty boogers. Its surprizing how easy and effective just squeezing these things out is...  (i should have just done this wks ago as i'm avoiding sex which has been quite an annoyance... [:(!])

I'll report back here in  a couple days as to how it develops  If this little experiment works then i'd suggest everyone just try it on at least one lesion and if it works on that one then try it on the rest...
 [O8)]
« Last Edit: 01/11/2006 23:27:17 by crayola110 »

Offline crayola110

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 01/11/2006 23:30:04 »
I got this disease (Molluscum) 2 months ago.  I first noticed it when I found a strange bump on my superpubic area when I was about to shave again.  Concerned; I cut the thing off (I don't think that one came back),

How did you "cut it off"  You also say that it never came back, so maybe doing it yourself is a fast possible way to get rid of this.  Right now after 30 min where i pinched off the warts, it looks fine, just a little scab that will probably heal in a couple days...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #99 on: 01/11/2006 23:30:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length