The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: If nowhere and everywhere are infnite are we always in the middle ?  (Read 3189 times)

Offline malfery

• First timers
    • View Profile
If nowhere and everywhere are infinite are we always in the middle ?  Like picking a point on a circle it's always in the middle. ? If the Universe is infinite. doesn't the egocentrically notion of us being the center of the universe  hold some truth ? :)

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
If it is centre has no meaning.
Why should the Universe be infinite?

Offline malfery

• First timers
    • View Profile
Exactly ... But that's the real question man has there whole life... does the "infinite "  exist ? because it cant be proven ... Because if u could find a way to prove it... it wouldn't be infinite.
Also  could ask yourself: Why does the universe has to have an beginning and an end ? I think if your gone make an grand theory about something shouldn't u have answer to the first question being : why it has to begin and end.?

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
Because if u could find a way to prove it... it wouldn't be infinite.

Are you saying that it's impossible to prove that something is infinite?
I can prove that a mathematical  series is infinite.

Offline malfery

• First timers
    • View Profile
Can you find the absolute middle point of.. lets say a meter .. you could keep measuring.
But you can never find it, you can show why you cant. But that's it.
Still doesn't prove it.
Also wondered if things "where" infinite "big" cant things also be infinite small ?
As that's a thing you "have to"  believe. Isn't that the point where having "faith" and science comes together? Like saying you've got a pen next to you.
I cant be 100% sure, but i believe you would.
wasn't it Einstein that said. :Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind.
And now I'm not talking about religion with out science. But the Fact is that With out fate science would drive u insane. Searching for whats "behind the wall". Theres always another wall.
What I'm aiming at, is that on paper u can cut a meter precisely in half with numbers. But with a real meter of any object. Could you find it ? like with a magnet, we know the north and the south pole.
We can write down it has a north and a south pole, and call south:1 and north:1. And we could say  1+1=2, and that if we split up 2.  We get 1 and 1.  But does that mean that in reality. We cut it down in the middle, and be sure its the middle. And call it 1  and 1. Instead its 1,∞ and 0,∞ .. or 0,∞ and 1,∞

I could even say that thinking the universe isn't infinite is just as a big of faith. :)

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
like with a magnet, we know the north and the south pole....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_monopole
Technically, still only a theory, but "one of the safest bets that one can make about physics not yet seen".

I could even say that thinking the universe isn't infinite is just as a big of faith. :)

Talking of probability, it is more likely that the universe is bounded than infinite on current evidence.  So faith yes, but educated faith NTL.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Talking of probability, it is more likely that the universe is bounded than infinite on current evidence.  So faith yes, but educated faith NTL.

I though observations gave more evidence to infinite and flat.

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar

I though observations gave more evidence to infinite and flat.

Oh! In that case make that ignorant faith! :D

Offline malfery

• First timers
    • View Profile
like with a magnet, we know the north and the south pole....

newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_monopole [nonactive]
Technically, still only a theory, but "one of the safest bets that one can make about physics not yet seen".

When i used magnets as example i used it in the sense of opposites.
So far I've noticed EVERYTHING  has it. Even being objects, or even human emotion .... Most famous one ... love and hate :)
What i was talking about, Is for example  trying to cut a object of meter in the absolute middle. It's impossible , What does that say about everything else with an opposite ?

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What i was talking about, Is for example  trying to cut a object of meter in the absolute middle. It's impossible , What does that say about everything else with an opposite ?

Absolutely nothing, since not everything has an opposite and opposite isn't a well-defined physical term.

Offline malfery

• First timers
    • View Profile
Well name what u want other half of the bridge.
Other side of a coin.
North and south, things are opposite in different ways.
Name a non theoretical  object that doesn't have an object with the opposite effect ?

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Name a non theoretical  object that doesn't have an object with the opposite effect ?

Geezer.  As hard as I've tried, I can't find an anti-Geezer.

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar

Geezer.  As hard as I've tried, I can't find an anti-Geezer.

Maybe he is in an anti-galaxy on an anti-Earth :D
Also see, Doppelgänger (1969 film)

Offline malfery

• First timers
    • View Profile
We also write backwards.:P ooh wait we already do that in this galaxy :O opposites  in the same space!  :O I Guess that would really take up less "universal space"
Imagine "anti atoms" or would that be the same as well [?]

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums