The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does holding your breath for a minute affect your breathing rate just after?  (Read 10566 times)

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
What would happen to your breathing rate just after? Explain why with reference to two areas that control breathing. Please share your answers with us! Thanks!

SteveFish

Is this an exam? How many points?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
What about after holding your breath for 10 minutes?

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
Is this an exam? How many points?

Nope this is not an exam.

SteveFish

The Scientist:

Your question sounds like an exam question for a class of students who should know what you are talking about. As a scientist you should be able to rephrase your question to make more sense for the general public. For example, you specify two areas that control breathing. Please be more specific.

Steve
« Last Edit: 13/12/2010 02:19:30 by SteveFish »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
It is a relatively easy experiment to do...
Just get a clock with a second hand.
Hold your breath for a minute.
What happens?

As long as you are "healthy" with "normal" lungs, it should be safe to hold your breath for a minute (while at rest... don't do it under strenuous exercise, or if you have a serious cold or pneumonia).  It is very difficult to hold it much longer, and you would have an increased risk with increased time.

Anything over 5 minutes could cause serious risk, and 10 minutes could be fatal.

Your normal respiratory rate is somewhere around 1 breath every 5 seconds...  or 12 breaths a minute.  It will increase with vigorous exercise.

What happened for me was that after holding my breath for a minute, I took 3 or 4 deep breaths in rapid succession (first 5-10 seconds).  Then my respiratory rate more or less evened out back to "normal".

It takes about 20-30 seconds for your blood to circulate through your body and return to the heart, so within a half a minute or so, you would expect your body to mostly recover from a brief episode of holding your breath.  I suppose a longer period of hypoxia would cause changes in your cells that would require more recovery time.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length