The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Will you leave your body to medical science?  (Read 3805 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Will you leave your body to medical science?
« on: 12/12/2010 22:26:50 »
Have you ever wondered what happens to a body when it is donated to a medical school? Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be a medical student and to take somebody apart to see how they worked? Now is your chance to find out, thanks to a film from New Zealand...

Read the article then tell us what you think...
« Last Edit: 12/12/2010 22:26:50 by _system »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #1 on: 12/12/2010 22:32:34 »
Paul will be visiting Cambridge shortly to appear on the Naked Scientists show on January 9th 2011 to talk about this film, "Donated to Science"; the show will also contain insights into medical dissection and teaching practices at Cambridge University.

We'd value your thoughts on the topic as discussion points for the programme; please post your comments below.

Chris

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/12/2010 02:48:03 »
Personally I don't care what happens to my body once I'm dead...  I'll be dead after all.

I am listed as an organ donor...  in case a traumatic event happens.

If I live to an old age, then the value of the organs for transplant decreases, especially with cancer or various disease states.

Families like "closure"...  I suppose it won't be that important once I'm dead, but it is important to consider the family's feelings and wishes.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 13/12/2010 08:28:00 »
I wouldn't have any problems with this. As CliffordK wrote '.....once I'm dead...  I'll be dead....." so it wont matter to me one iota.

What about considering the alternatives, could a religious person, or anyone believing in an 'after life' feel any happier with their remains being incinerated or devoured by creepy crawlies? But again I agree with Clifford, you should take into account the feelings of those left behind, though I personally don't like this 'closure' concept. So far as I am concerned, 'closure' comes at the time of death. Thereafter there will be grieving for the loss of a person, not the vehicle in which that person existed.

Could it be better argued that your memory might be better served if you made a contribution after your demise?

A very emotive subject with, I'm sure, good arguments from all points of view and no 'one size fits all' answer.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 13/12/2010 08:28:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length