The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Cancer in animal life ?  (Read 1831 times)

Offline DERYN

• View Profile
Cancer in animal life ?
« on: 14/12/2010 20:58:17 »
Hi folks,  as far as you know, is cancer as prevalent in the animal kingdom as it appears to be among us humans ?

Deryn.

SteveFish

Cancer in animal life ?
« Reply #1 on: 14/12/2010 22:41:27 »
I have had one elderly cat and two old dogs come down with cancer. Cancer is a game of chance, and the longer one lives the greater the chance of getting cancer. So, aside from some species specific cancer types, in general the longer than an animal of any species lives the more likely it will get a cancer.

Offline DERYN

• View Profile
Cancer in animal life ?
« Reply #2 on: 15/12/2010 19:51:30 »
Thanks, I wonder too then if the apparent increase in cancer cases (in my experience)in humans is more related to my increasing in age ? Perhaps at my age ,54, it is just brought more to my attention.

I suppose my thinking was that if there was an increase in human types of cancer and not such a noted increase in animal cancers then the actual cause could be more specific.

The main culprits I have in mind for an increase in human cancer, if indeed there is an increase, is processed foods for some types of cancers in the digestive system, and the large amount of radio waves we are increasingly exposed to everyday, ie cellphones, radio masts, e.t.c. causing other main cancers.

Or is cancer just one of many different diseases that we could die from ? And it only 'seems' that cancer is the only killer out there ?

Deryn

SteveFish

Cancer in animal life ?
« Reply #3 on: 16/12/2010 01:27:40 »
Deryn:

Having looked into the research literature on EMF (electromagnetic fields) I think there is a lot of hype regarding 60 cycle current, FM Radio, and cell phone microwaves. The findings from large studies bounce all over the place, suggesting that there either isn't an effect or, if there is, it is very small. I wish that there was some agency (e.g. NSF or NIH) that would put risks from various activities together so we could have some perspective. In any case, there is no known mechanism by which such low power radiation below the energy of ultraviolet light could cause cancer. If you are worried about this, just use a headset with your cell phone and move away from the microwave when it is running. The inverse square law for radiation means that a very small amount of distance reduces the energy enormously.

Some of the most interesting statistics on cancer is looking at it by country. It is mystifying to try to understand the differences.

Steve

Offline DERYN

• View Profile
Cancer in animal life ?
« Reply #4 on: 16/12/2010 19:34:43 »
Thanks Steve,  a lot of research is interesting when you compare country to country. Such as the search for the worlds healthiest diet. Only today on the radio I hear countries/people that eat a lot of oily fish providing Omega 3 , such as Japan, have a far less incidence of mental problems ! Something in oily fish is good for our brains apparently ?

And what is one of the most popular questions put to people who reach the ripe old age of 100 years ? What is your favorite food/drink ?

Regarding my initial question I think I probably need to read up a bit more about what exactly is 'cancer'.

Deryn

The Naked Scientists Forum

Cancer in animal life ?
« Reply #4 on: 16/12/2010 19:34:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums