The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can I escape a black hole?  (Read 1064 times)

Kevin Ross

Can I escape a black hole?
« on: 15/12/2010 00:30:03 »
Kevin Ross  asked the Naked Scientists:

In a black hole, the escape velocity is higher than the speed of light so since nothing can go faster than the speed of light nothing can escape from a black hole. However, escape velocity is based on just a starting velocity from the surface of a mass.

If I'm in a space ship inside a black hole near the event horizon and the ship has a thrust greater than  F=GM1M2/R^2 (the force of gravity), why can't the space ship leave?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 15/12/2010 00:30:03 by _system »

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15/12/2010 03:46:04 »
Kevin Ross  asked the Naked Scientists:

In a black hole, the escape velocity is higher than the speed of light so since nothing can go faster than the speed of light nothing can escape from a black hole. However, escape velocity is based on just a starting velocity from the surface of a mass.

If I'm in a space ship inside a black hole near the event horizon and the ship has a thrust greater than  F=GM1M2/R^2 (the force of gravity), why can't the space ship leave?

What do you think?

Everything eventually escapes a black hole. You will never be able to physically pass the same boundary twice, but eventually in a thermodynamic runnaway of heat, the black hole will mangle all the information about you (your matter) and tunnel this out of the black hole via quantum tunnelling.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 15/12/2010 03:46:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length