The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it possible to induce lactation in a human female?  (Read 3681 times)

Offline Ducks_Fan

• First timers
    • View Profile
My wife and I are planing on adopting a baby. It's not advisable for me to have children due to a genetic defect that would give my child a high chance of birth defects. My wife very much wants to breast feed the child and I've found some web sites claiming that it's possible to induce lactation without drugs.

The websites I've claim that by having her partner (that would be me) suckle the breast 10 minutes at a time for each breast 8 times a day that lactation can be induced. Is this true? How long in advance of bring the baby home should this be done? With this method will she produce enough milk to support the baby? Will she produce colostrum?

Thanks for your help.
Roger

SteveFish

Is it possible to induce lactation in a human female?
« Reply #1 on: 16/12/2010 15:58:07 »
Milk can be induced by both stimulation and hormone administration. It takes longer and is less sure to happen with just mechanical stimulation. Here is a link to an article and some resources.
http://www.surrogacy.com/medres/article/lac.html

Offline sue1234

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/02/2011 21:07:03 »
If you talk to her GYN, I think(if I remember correctly) the doctor can prescribe a med that acts like prolactin, the pituitary hormone that stimulates milk production.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 10/02/2011 21:07:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums