The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Got snow? And what's wrong with this picture?  (Read 16397 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Got snow? And what's wrong with this picture?
« on: 21/12/2010 22:44:05 »
I offered to send my snowblower (below) over to Heathrow to try and help out. BAA thanked me, but they said they were doing just fine with the three boy scouts and two snow shovels they already had.

BTW, for the mechanically or mathematically minded, what is wrong in this picture, and why is it wrong?

« Last Edit: 23/12/2010 00:25:07 by Geezer »

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
Re: Got snow? And what's wrong with this picture?
« Reply #1 on: 22/12/2010 10:13:02 »
The screw thingy is the wrong way round and facing the wrong direction... ?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/12/2010 10:14:30 »
The guy from BAA was hilarious, boasting about how many snowploughs they had and how the runways taxipaths were clear but saying we hadn't worked out how to clean around the planes in the stands!  Did he not expect planes at Heathrow Airport?  Do the other major Airports get around this problem by not having planes?  

The two screws push snow towards the middle if spinning counterclock from the rhs as we see it - it then gets scooped up by the central thing and thrown everywhere?  But then I have no idea what its meant to do.

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/12/2010 10:59:44 »
Snow? It is summer here, though the Aussies are suffering from Al Gore's warming by having to wear polar suits.........

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/12/2010 19:35:46 »
The screw thingy is the wrong way round and facing the wrong direction... ?

Nice try Variola. I'll give you a red heart for effort.

Alas, no. The screw thingy is OK.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22/12/2010 19:43:31 »
The two screws push snow towards the middle if spinning counterclock from the rhs as we see it - it then gets scooped up by the central thing and thrown everywhere?  But then I have no idea what its meant to do.

Yes, that's how it works. The screw thing is called the auger and it feeds snow to the impeller. The impeller then chucks the snow out a hole in the top. There is a chute thing (not installed in the piccy) that goes on top to send the snow in the desired direction.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22/12/2010 21:21:54 »
es, that's how it works. The screw thing is called the auger and it feeds snow to the impeller. The impeller then chucks the snow out a hole in the top. There is a chute thing (not installed in the piccy) that goes on top to send the snow in the desired direction.

See I had no idea that was how it worked, hence me thinking it was on the wrong way.  ;DI thought it was meant to be more like an Archimedes screw.
But thank you for the heart.  :)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22/12/2010 21:28:10 »
See I had no idea that was how it worked, hence me thinking it was on the wrong way.  ;DI thought it was meant to be more like an Archimedes screw.
But thank you for the heart.  :)

No, you're right. It really is like an Archimedes screw (not in the Biblical sense of course), or really two of them acting towards each other to drag the snow towards the centre.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22/12/2010 21:40:12 »
I am still not entirely sure how dragging the snow to the centre helps.... I thought the idea was to push it aside? But I bow to your engineering/mechanical/blokey experience.  :)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22/12/2010 22:29:52 »
I am still not entirely sure how dragging the snow to the centre helps.... I thought the idea was to push it aside? But I bow to your engineering/mechanical/blokey experience.  :)

I'm sure if you can understand all that medico mumbo jumbo you're always on about, this should be a cakewalk.

See, the whole bag of tricks goes on the back of a tractor, and you reverse the tractor into the snow. While you are doing that, the two archiwotsit things are dragging the snow towards the center where it gets dumped into the thingy at the back there that's spinning around rather fast. As it spins, it chucks the snow up (I suppose it's really an up-chucker) the chute (not in the picture) and sent off towards your neighbour's driveway.

This might explain it better (it's not me BTW)

« Last Edit: 22/12/2010 22:31:59 by Geezer »

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23/12/2010 00:16:06 »
See, the whole bag of tricks goes on the back of a tractor, and you reverse the tractor into the snow. While you are doing that, the two archiwotsit things are dragging the snow towards the center where it gets dumped into the thingy at the back there that's spinning around rather fast. As it spins, it chucks the snow up (I suppose it's really an up-chucker) the chute (not in the picture) and sent off towards your neighbour's driveway.

Oh I seeeeeeee! It goes on the back!!! That makes more sense now.  ;D

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25/12/2010 19:51:31 »
You can get one that goes on the front of the tractor, though most that I have seen need a power supply from a hydraulic pump to run them, as no tractor I have seen has a front PTO.

Was always fascinating to watch the airport grass cutters, cutting the grass in what we affectionately called the "Swamp" ( it was one, covered in grass and reeds, and really soft). Rule one was never to slow below 50kph, even in turns. Rule two was that you needed at least 2 all wheel drive towtrucks, unless you were close enough to the runway to not drive off the compacted edge. Rule three was to jump off in case of trouble.

My friend in the workshop was always going there to collect a tractor in the mud, and often he got stuck too during the extraction. He learned fast to get a second truck, as you have to close the runway to do those recoveries, and the airlines tended to complain a little about that. The tractors belonged to the airports company, and we eventually started billing them when it got to be a too regular occurrence, which led to the operators becoming a lot more careful.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25/12/2010 20:42:36 »
You can get one that goes on the front of the tractor, though most that I have seen need a power supply from a hydraulic pump to run them, as no tractor I have seen has a front PTO.

A lot of the front mount ones I've seen just use a gearbox on the PTO that connects to a long U jointed driveshaft. They usually have a sort of subframe that mounts under the tractor.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26/12/2010 01:45:50 »

the Aussies are suffering from Al Gore's warming

True, but at least he invented the Aussie Internet!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26/12/2010 06:44:49 »

the Aussies are suffering from Al Gore's warming

True, but at least he invented the Aussie Internet!

Don't they call it the Undernet?

Or would that be more appropriate for Mrs Don_1's brassieres?
« Last Edit: 26/12/2010 19:00:23 by Geezer »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27/12/2010 05:25:07 »
. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27/12/2010 08:42:36 »
Dear Moderator,

I'm not having too much luck with the second part of my question. Could you relocate it to the General Science, Physics, or Technology forums?

Thanks  ;D

G

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30/12/2010 07:14:10 »
Well, that didn't do much good, did it?

There is something very wrong in the photograph. Now, I realize you are probably all a bit hung over at the moment, but it's really not that hard. Those of you with a mechanical bent ought to be able to figure it out.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30/12/2010 19:20:58 »

Dear Moderator,

I'm not having too much luck with the second part of my question. Could you relocate it to the General Science, Physics, or Technology forums?

Thanks  ;D

G

Done. It was relocated to "The Scientific Proof of God" thread.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31/12/2010 17:37:10 »

Dear Moderator,

Thanks  ;D

G

Done. It was relocated to "The Scientific Proof of God" thread.

Looks like someone, or some superior being, rejected it.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31/12/2010 18:03:58 »
The fan at the back, that is supposed to throw the snow, looks a bit knackered. At least it's an odd shape. Maybe this description could also apply to the guy who drives it :-)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31/12/2010 23:16:53 »
The fan at the back, that is supposed to throw the snow, looks a bit knackered. At least it's an odd shape. Maybe this description could also apply to the guy who drives it :-)

Graham,

I can assure you that nothing is worn under my kilt. It's all in good working order.

There is nothing wrong with the upchucking device in the piccy either. Surely somebody in this joint can figure out whats wrong?

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01/01/2011 10:28:07 »
The CV coupling on the left hand end of the drive shaft is bu**ered??

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01/01/2011 19:31:07 »
Nope, but you're getting warm.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02/01/2011 22:02:08 »
It is hard to tell...  and your description is a bit sparse...  to say the least. 

I've always found a good shovel was quite effective, and then one could neatly pile the snow next to the road or driveway, rather than blowing it onto the neighbor's property.

A couple of things I might question.

You've apparently done maintenance on the bearings.  I would consider if it was better to put the grease fittings on the outside of the snow blower rather than the inside...  except perhaps there would be a risk of smashing them into something, or dragging on the side.  But at least one could protect them from the snow.  IS THE GREASE FITTING ON THE LEFT SIDE MISSING?

The two spirals would tend to separate in the middle, so they couldn't be "floating" on the drive shaft without some kind of washers or spacers.  The attachment is unclear.

I can't tell if the single vertical support in the middle would be adequate.

The fan on back appears to turn counterclockwise.  I'm trying to figure out the benefit of having an angled blade vs a flat blade.  In fact it almost appears as if that has been modified.  I think I would have added a support to the blade on the "back" side rather than the "front" side as the angle in the photo looks like it would tend to blow the snow backwards rather than upwards (oh, I see someone else made that comment, anyway, it is probably ok).
« Last Edit: 02/01/2011 22:09:05 by CliffordK »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 02/01/2011 22:02:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums