The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Got snow? And what's wrong with this picture?  (Read 16353 times)

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Got snow? And what's wrong with this picture?
« Reply #50 on: 26/08/2011 16:06:47 »
No, I know! Please tell me it is a delorean! 

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #51 on: 26/08/2011 16:24:17 »
Ok - so it could be a smartcar (great city car), or a skoda (and not one of the uber-reliable new ones - the dodgy 80s ones, what do you call a skoda with a sunroof), a hillman imp (huge reverse chic) or what I really hope is that it is a renault-engined alpine. 

If it is an alpine I will wave at all I see (cos there probably are only one or two in London) in the hope of saying hello!

Not sure if "huge reverse chic" is an insult or a compliment, but that's the fella!
If I could have bought an Alpine instead then (apart supposedly needing 4 seats) I sure would have done!

Sadly the poor little Imp (actually a Singer Chamois) will almost have to be sold as a project now as the iron-worm has got too great a hold on its poor little chassis :(

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 26/08/2011 17:28:22 »

Sadly the poor little Imp (actually a Singer Chamois) will almost have to be sold as a project now as the iron-worm has got too great a hold on its poor little chassis :(

Well, it did last quite a long time, but then, that's only to be expected as it was made in Renfrewshire (as was I)  ;D

My brother had a Clan Crusader. It had a glass fibre monocoque body and Imp mechanicals. The C of G was so low you really didn't have to slow down much for corners.

Clifford - The first two U joints on your drive line probably constitute a Constant Velocity joint near the transmission to allow for greater articulation. My old Bronco had a similar joint at the transmission end because of the short propshaft.

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #53 on: 26/08/2011 18:17:38 »
Well, it did last quite a long time, but then, that's only to be expected as it was made in Renfrewshire (as was I)  ;D

My brother had a Clan Crusader. It had a glass fibre monocoque body and Imp mechanicals. The C of G was so low you really didn't have to slow down much for corners.

I think all the Imp derivatives had a tenancy to rot in the same way (I say all Imp derivatives, surely all Roots group or BL cars of 60s/70s really!) - I made the mistake of thinking if I paid a bit more this time for a classic motor I'd be guaranteed to get a less rotten one - Unfortunately it just meant the rot was more cleverly disguised [:(!]

It doesn;t seem so surprising that there were quite a number of derivatives that used the Imp engine/transaxle - it was a super design for its time, even having the, uhum, larger 998cc ally block it was very light and relatively powerful too!

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 26/08/2011 18:19:33 »
A lot of the Fiats use a rubber flex joint.

The Fiat 500's, 600's, and 850's, and Multiplas are rear-engined.  The flex joint is a rubber/aluminum cylinder.

The Topolino has a front engine, rear wheel drive, and also a rubber flex joint instead of U-Joints.

Hmmm....  

Are you in England?

What about a Mini?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 26/08/2011 19:26:43 »
Minis used CV joints at the wheel end. Not sure about the transmission end, but it contained no rubber.

The Imp had a very advanced engine (for the time). It was a derivative of a Coventry Climax engine that was developed for fire engine pumps. I had a boat that had a four stroke outboard (highly unusual at that time) based on the same engine.

BTW, here's the Clan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_(car)#Clan_Crusader

EDIT: That's not quite right. The outboard I had (55 HP) was not actually based on the CC engine. It was a later version (85 HP) from the same company that used the CC engine.
« Last Edit: 27/08/2011 06:57:36 by Geezer »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 30/08/2011 09:22:16 »
Ok - so it could be a smartcar (great city car), or a skoda (and not one of the uber-reliable new ones - the dodgy 80s ones, what do you call a skoda with a sunroof), a hillman imp (huge reverse chic) or what I really hope is that it is a renault-engined alpine. 

If it is an alpine I will wave at all I see (cos there probably are only one or two in London) in the hope of saying hello!

Not sure if "huge reverse chic" is an insult or a compliment, but that's the fella!
If I could have bought an Alpine instead then (apart supposedly needing 4 seats) I sure would have done!

Perhaps this will explain the "reverse chic" - definitely a compliment!

Clifford - I know the originals do not look as if they have the space but minis are front engined.  And the original follows Gaeser's dictum of not having to slow down for corners (it won Monte Carlo 5 times on the trot - I include the time the french cheated to strip the valiant mini of the title).  Shame BMW have put it on a bratwurst and bier diet cos it is piling on the pounds

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #56 on: 30/08/2011 09:22:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums