The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What causes 'Butterfly Stomach' and how can we prevent it?  (Read 7029 times)

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
Hi everyone! If I am correct 'Butterfly Stomach' happens to someone when they feel nervous such as a person on the stage giving a speech. Perhaps another case would be having to feel as the distinguished-guest-of-honor in the case of feeling that others are looking up to you and you must not make any mistakes. Do you ever experience times when you've 'Butterfly Stomach'? Please share your answers with us, thank you!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile

SteveFish

What causes 'Butterfly Stomach' and how can we prevent it?
« Reply #3 on: 22/12/2010 17:34:53 »
All of the symptoms associated with performance anxiety are muscle, glandular, and nervous system responses to, mostly, the sympathetic nervous system. There are blocking medications that performers and people trying to fool a lie detector test can take to eliminate abdominal futterblies. You would have to get a prescription from a physician.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/12/2010 18:36:07 »
I actually regard the butterflies as a good thing, reminds me I am human, and sharpens my resolve to get through whatever is making me nervous.
If you embrace the feeling, you can then learn to control it through relaxation and conscious thought.

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/01/2011 12:58:47 »
I actually regard the butterflies as a good thing, reminds me I am human, and sharpens my resolve to get through whatever is making me nervous.
If you embrace the feeling, you can then learn to control it through relaxation and conscious thought.

But there is a disadvantage to it as well right? As you may not be able to control your bowel movement.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/01/2011 13:14:07 »
But there is a disadvantage to it as well right? As you may not be able to control your bowel movement.

Not really, because the butterflies sensation is felt in your stomach not your bowels. Nervousness may loosen your bowel movements, but not to the point where you cannot control them.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 03/01/2011 13:14:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums