The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is time travel through Black Hole is possible in near future?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
What do you think? Please share your answers with us. Thanks!

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Is time travel through Black Hole is possible in near future?
« Reply #1 on: 23/12/2010 12:58:54 »
You go first.
I'll follow.

Everything indicates that black holes are very strong gravity wells...  once you enter, you can't get back out...  and the only thing inside is a crushing force that will destroy anything that enters.

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/12/2010 13:00:20 »
You go first.
I'll follow.

Everything indicates that black holes are very strong gravity wells...  once you enter, you can't get back out...  and the only thing inside is a crushing force that will destroy anything that enters.

Could you please elaborate more on the crushing force? How powerful is the force, you'll get crushed in a matter of less than... let's say 1 second?

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• I before E except after C, unless weird science
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/12/2010 01:19:29 »
The event horizon of a stellar mass black hole is really small, maybe between a few feet to a few (less than 10) miles across. This means that the event horizon is very close to the singularity. As you approach within a few miles you start being pulled apart. It would likely be somewhat painful.

A super-massive black hole, that contains the mass of millions, or even billions of stars the event horizon is much farther away from the singularity. You'll cross the event horizon intact but the same fate awaits you when you get close enough to the singularity.

What another observer will see will be a little different. They will see you slow down more and more as you approach the event horizon, than as you reach it you'll come nearly to a stop, then just fade away.

It's possible to travle into the future by orbiting CLOSE to a black hole. Get just outside the event horizon and what is 1 year to you will be two years to those on Earth. I'm two years older than my sister. If I did this for 1 and a half years when I got home my sister and I would then be the same age. But there would be no way to get back. No way to make it so I'm two years older than her again. (Unless She went to the Black Hole)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 24/12/2010 01:19:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums