The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Microbiology help  (Read 1488 times)

Offline junior272

• First timers
    • View Profile
Microbiology help
« on: 24/12/2010 00:01:21 »
Hi all,

I have an assignment to complete and need some help on it, so any help given will be appreciated. I am currently studying Microbiology and the question relates to food microbiology.

Basically i have to answer the following question:

Campylobacter and Salmonellae are the most common causes of bacterial
gastroenteritis. Compare and contrast the incidence, epidemiology,
transmission and pathogenicity of these organisms.

I am struggling to understand all of this and i have been researching but i may have over done it with the research and now im just confused. Could someone explain the following in terms of food microbiology and what i should be including for each section below?

What does it mean by epidemiology?

What does it mean transmission?

What does it mean by pathogenicity?

I am not asking for anyone to complete the question for me just a simple breakdown of what the above terms mean and what kind of information i should be looking to include in each section.

Microbiology help
« Reply #1 on: 24/12/2010 01:28:04 »
The Webster definition you want is-- "a science that deals with the incidence, distribution, and control of disease in a population (as of animals or plants." In other words, it has to do with gathering and describing health and disease information statistically.

Transmission is just passing a disease between individuals. When a sick individual causes someone else to be infected, the disease has been transmitted.

Pathogenicity is the degree that something is pathogenic which, in turn, means "causing or capable of causing disease" as in Salmonella is a pathogenic microorganisms.

You need to get a medical dictionary.
« Last Edit: 24/12/2010 01:29:54 by SteveFish »

The Naked Scientists Forum

Microbiology help
« Reply #1 on: 24/12/2010 01:28:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums