The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can you track a hacker on Outlook 2007?  (Read 7210 times)

Offline VAB

• View Profile
How can you track a hacker on Outlook 2007?
« on: 24/12/2010 17:15:18 »
Does anyone know how I can track the IP addresses of hackers in Outlook 2007? I have searched on Google, but there does not seem to be a way of catching the hackers. Gmail is simple, but Outlook seems impossible.

Any ideas?

VAB

Offline Bloated Lizard

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25/12/2010 03:13:05 »
I know in 2003 which must be similar to 2007, within the email sent from hacker go to View and Options. Look at the internet headers.  It will give you the IP address and\or hostname.

Offline VAB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/12/2010 09:34:47 »
Hi,

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Cheers

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/12/2010 12:41:04 »
Any computer-savvy criminal who is sending spam or malware via email will use proxies or zombies to avoid identification.

« Last Edit: 25/12/2010 12:48:42 by RD »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27/12/2010 03:56:57 »

Offline VAB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27/12/2010 13:27:53 »
Thanks!

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28/12/2010 03:46:45 »
This guy seems to have had some success

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101226/ap_on_hi_te/us_anti_spam_crusader

Indeed it is quite an interesting article.

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #7 on: 28/12/2010 19:43:42 »
Does anyone know how I can track the IP addresses of hackers in Outlook 2007? I have searched on Google, but there does not seem to be a way of catching the hackers. Gmail is simple, but Outlook seems impossible.

Any ideas?

VAB

You need to explain what sort of "hackers" you are trying to catch. What is going on that your wish to trace/stop?

If you think that someone else is reading your email, then one way to trace them would be to send yourself an email containing an inline image (with unique ID / name) pulled from a website you control. Anyone reading the email would then inadvertently download the embedded image and leave a record (including their IP address and date/time of reading) in the website serverlogs.
That said, this can be circumvented by someone smart enough to disable loading images etc - but is likely to catch less-sophisticated users. Of course hits does require use of a website which you have control of - and in any case an IP address (especially if dynamically allocated by an ISP or routed through a proxy) won't necessarily lead a direct path to the culprit.

If spam is apparently being sent in your name then this may not involve any 'hacking' at all - it's trivial to fake the "from" address in an email. Indeed in the past month I've received hundreds of "undelivered mail" reports for spam I never sent, but which used my address as the fake from-address. Annoying.
If however spam is being sent apparently from you but almost exclusively "to" your aquaintances / people you've emailed before, then this is a much stronger indication that your account is being/has been hacked.

If the problem is that you are receiving spam/viruses etc then there really isn't a lot you can do. The vast majority of spam these days is sent from other home-computers under the control of a criminal "botnet" (robot-network) and the person whose computer sent the spam is probably totally unaware of the fact and/or clueless as to how to stop it.
« Last Edit: 28/12/2010 19:46:10 by techmind »

Offline KoryLGriffin

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17/01/2011 22:53:14 »
This guy seems to have had some success

newbielink:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101226/ap_on_hi_te/us_anti_spam_crusader [nonactive]
That would be a job....

Offline mutu26

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/03/2011 17:01:03 »

Any ideas?

VAB
This situation mentioned me about similar trouble. I had it couple months ago but even today I have remembered it. I could work out it some time ago thanks to next tool. I don't see any problems with this software for solving this trouble with the help of it - Spam removed
« Last Edit: 14/03/2011 01:07:26 by peppercorn »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 03/03/2011 17:01:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums