The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: PLASTIC AND CEMENT, can i combine them?  (Read 3311 times)

Offline genzzzyME

• First timers
    • View Profile
PLASTIC AND CEMENT, can i combine them?
« on: 25/12/2010 07:09:44 »
 uhm,,,,i'm working on an investigatory project, and its about mixing a cement solution with melted plastic. :-\
so...uhnm...the problem is, i don't know how to melt the plastic to be in its liquid form...

guys help me....  ???

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• I before E except after C, unless weird science
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25/12/2010 08:16:55 »
uhm,,,,i'm working on an investigatory project, and its about mixing a cement solution with melted plastic. :-\
so...uhnm...the problem is, i don't know how to melt the plastic to be in its liquid form...

guys help me....  ???

Interesting.... Plastic, of different shapes is sometimes used as a light weight aggregate in concrete in place of stone. If your goal is light weight rather than strength you can even use plastic re-bar (in place of steel)

I once worked with some concrete that had plastic "jacks" (Don't know if you call the game this in England. You bounce a small ball and attempt to pick up star shaped things we in America call "Jacks")

While still quite strong it provides a much lighter product and is good enough for something that doesn't bear a load.

As far as melted plastic...It will likely solidify, making a huge mess, when it's introduced to your cement slurry.

Portland cement, which is what most people think of when the think of "cement", is limestone that has been fired (like pottery). It's then ground into a powder. You add water to the power to begin a chemical reaction that hardens the limestone powder into a strong stone-like product.

There are two problems I can see. The hottest water you can add is boiling water. The resulting slurry cannot be a lot hotter than the boiling water, still too cold to melt plastic.

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/12/2010 19:18:43 »
You could mix cement and plastic, basically using the cement as a filler, though this will be incredibly abrasive on all the molds and the extruder worm mechanism. There has been a lot of research on using polystyrene rubble that is coated with a film that will adhere to cement, used as a way to make a lightweight concrete with a reasonable compressive strength. It is a lot weaker, but allows you to use a larger cross section without increasing mass, which allows it to be stiffer for the mass.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 25/12/2010 19:18:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums