The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Somewhat uninformed enquiry regarding the varying speed of light  (Read 7841 times)

Online Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Some interesting points in the midst of your ramblings, there, yor_on.

I'm not entirely convinced by your "arrow of time" comparison with light.
Light is a physical entity, but the arrow of time may be no more than a subjective device which we use to make sense of what appears to us to be change.  The two concepts seem quite different.

a wave can be 'infinite' right?

What would an infinite wave look like?  How would you know it was a wave?

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
Sure a wave can be infinite. If quantum theory is correct, then everything projects a very small wave function on everything. The wave function is a distribution of possibilities, beleive it or not, all over spacetime!

Online Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: QC
The wave function is a distribution of possibilities, beleive it or not, all over spacetime!

OK, but is there a difference between a wave and a wave function - practically?

Online Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Something odd happened to my post!  All this technology is ganging up on me. [:I]

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
hi Bill, are we talking about a photon wave here? Because essentially, there is no difference.

When we talk about photons exhibiting a wave particle duality, the wave nature is a direct result of its wave function spreading the little tucker all over spacetime.

Physical waves on the other hand, like those in the water are quite different of course. :)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
As QC said :) it's mathematical definition firstly. And I don't really see how to prove that one physically as the wave is more or less a probability function seen that way, falling out in your measurement.

As for light and 'the arrow of time'?
Wouldn't I love to know that one :)

What I can notice though is that lights speed is a constant.
Your time as measured from/in your own 'room time geometry' can also be seen as a 'constant'.

That makes them interesting to me :) as an equivalence, well, sort of. You could also argue that radiation is the best 'clocks' existing. Getting closer to 'times arrow' than using radiation I don't think is possible?
==

And it works when measuring other 'frames of reference' from your own too. When you do you use the 'arrow of time' you have locally, aka 'room time geometry'. So maybe I'm right? I don't really know, but maybe?
« Last Edit: 02/01/2011 00:54:48 by yor_on »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums