The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What makes something magnetic?  (Read 5975 times)

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
What makes something magnetic?
« on: 28/12/2010 03:37:17 »
Please provide sources if possible. Thanks all for helping!

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28/12/2010 04:00:24 »
I don't know any sources as such. What I remember from my physics classes is that an object which is magnetic tends to have their particles spin in a certain direction. Particles therefore tend to moves towards a certain direction causing the effect of magnetism. Before this, scientists speculated on a magnetic monopole but none have been found.

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/12/2010 04:05:50 »
I don't know any sources as such. What I remember from my physics classes is that an object which is magnetic tends to have their particles spin in a certain direction. Particles therefore tend to moves towards a certain direction causing the effect of magnetism. Before this, scientists speculated on a magnetic monopole but none have been found.

Thanks! But could you please elaborate more on the magnetic monopole?

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/12/2010 04:10:47 »
The magnetic monopole was a fundamental particle predicted by (I think) Paul Dirac in understanding the nature of magnetism in objects. But none have been found, and many believe does not exist. Some have speculated that perhaps it hasn't been found because it has been diluted in spacetime due to inflation very early on, but then one has to ask how magnetism arises if there are indeed so few of these particles about.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28/12/2010 06:49:29 »
I'm not sure how you would define a monopole.  Something attracted to "N", but not interacting with "S".  It would be a strange beast indeed. 

There are a few different types of magnetic materials.
    ferromagnetic - Attracted to either N or S, magnetic field may be induced, may retain some magnetism.
    diamagnetic - Repelled by either N or S
    paramagnetic - Attracted to either N or S, does not retain magnetism when out of the field

Anyway, as I understand, magnetic fields of permanent magnets are very similar to those of electro-magnets. 

When current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire.  However, it is not too useful when flowing through a straight wire.  When you make a coil with the current flowing in a loop, you get a polarized electro-magnet. 

A magnetic field can be induced in various compounds and ceramics which I believe creates a resonance pattern on the electron spins.  Thus, the synchronized electrons spinning around the atoms and molecules become thousands of tiny electro-magnets, and create a permanent magnet.

Offline Foolosophy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28/12/2010 07:03:55 »
Please provide sources if possible. Thanks all for helping!

Extremely interesting and challenging question that you pose

Offline acsinuk

• View Profile
    • electricmagnofluxuniverse.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: 03/01/2011 02:35:06 »
Look up domain theory on net
CCliveS

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/01/2011 02:46:19 »
What is the domain theory of magnatism?

The domain theory explains that an elements ability to be magnetic is governed by atomic structure. Magnetization occurs as a result of the behavior of that elements electrons. As each electron orbits the nucleus it it also spins on its axis, much like the planets around the sun. Magnetization occurs as the result of the electron spinning on its axis in different directions. If the element has 5 electrons spinning clockwise and 5 spinning anti-clockwise the element will be neutral. However if the element has 4 spinning clockwise and 5 spinning anti-clockwise the balance is shifted and the element will be magnetized.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_domain_theory_of_magnatism#ixzz19w7vEXMT

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 03/01/2011 02:46:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums