The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is there no cure for the common flu?  (Read 6271 times)

Offline MysteryGuitarMan

• First timers
  • How great it is when Science solve your problems!
    • View Profile
Why is there no cure for the common flu?
« on: 28/12/2010 12:14:02 »
How frequent does it occur? What can we do when we have it? Please leave your answers below. Thanks!

MGM

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29/12/2010 22:38:20 »
There actually IS a cure for the flu.

The Flu Vaccine is effective in preventing certain strains of the flu.  However, there are many different strains, and only a couple are vaccinated against each year.  The mutation rate in the flu is so high that new strains develop each year.  Thus, a new flu vaccine is developed each year, and it is only good for those predicted strains of flu outbreak.  There is also a several month lag time between the development of the vaccine and the distribution of the vaccine due to the time to reproduce the vaccine.

Tamiflu and Relenza are effective treatments for the common flu.  But, only when first administered within a day or two of the onset of the flu symptoms.  And, they only reduce the duration of the flu by a day or so.  So, your body will naturally eradicate the flu virus (and build lifelong resistance to that particular strain) in only a slightly longer time frame than you would get with the medications.  The moderate benefit of the medications may not justify the cost.  And, perhaps it is best to reserve the treatment for "high-risk" patients to avoid generating drug resistant strains of the virus.

SteveFish

« Reply #2 on: 29/12/2010 23:35:19 »
I think there is some research ongoing on Tamiflu and Relenza messing with brain function and some specific brain enzymes in both experimental animals and humans, but I don't know if anything has been resolved yet.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/12/2010 14:45:54 »
The moderate benefit of the medications may not justify the cost.  And, perhaps it is best to reserve the treatment for "high-risk" patients to avoid generating drug resistant strains of the virus.

I agree. Problem is it was too easy to get hold of tamiflu last year,all you had to do was fill out a few questions on a website and bingo they reserve tamiflu for you at the nearest chemist. Pretty ridiculous because many viruses produce the same symptoms, and can easily masquerade as H1N1, especially in its milder form.
I had H1N1 lat year, and although it was pretty rotten, it was mild in comparison to other 'flu's I have had. I did eventually take tamiflu after 8 days, at my GP's persuasion as I have asthma so in a high risk group. I pointed out to him that I didn't think it would be particularly effective at such a late stage, but his opinion was it is better to take it and hopefully negate it worsening.
However, some resistant stains were appearing last season, I expect won't be long before they appear again if the random use of anti-virals continue.
So far I have not seen any info as to whether the ppl who have had confirmed H1N1 had H1N1 last season, this I am particularly interested in as it would give some guide as to whether previously exposed ppl have full, partial or no immunity to this seasons strain. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 30/12/2010 14:45:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums