The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Recent Science News Stories and Science Articles  (Read 202622 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Mystery allergy causes woman to age decades

A 26-year-old Vietnamese woman has left doctors baffled as she

Are ewe sure somebody is not blowing smoke up your kilt?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Mystery allergy causes woman to age decades

A 26-year-old Vietnamese woman has left doctors baffled as she

Are ewe sure somebody is not blowing smoke up your kilt?

I did wonder if it was fake before posting. I even checked todays date to see if it was April 1st...but..it seems to be legitimately reported !....Would be good to get bona-fide verification though one way or another.

I only wear my kilt at Hogmanay !

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

The premature aging is due to the stress from watching Chelsea play :) (see bottom right corner)

The story looks bogus to me, but there are astronomically rare syndromes which cause people to age rapidly ...
http://biologylastscience.blogspot.com/2011/03/werner-syndrome.html
« Last Edit: 15/10/2011 03:57:14 by RD »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
It's probably the same person, with a fifty year gap between the photographs. If so, the one on the left was not taken with a digital camera.

The other intersting thing is the stretching of the earlobes. I'd be very surprised if that was caused by anything other than earrings, and a lot of time.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It's probably the same person, with a fifty year gap between the photographs

More like mother and daughter: different shnozes : ma's nostrils are visible, daughter's ain't.
« Last Edit: 15/10/2011 07:41:51 by RD »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile

More like mother and daughter: different shnozes : ma's nostrils are visible, daughter's ain't.

Could be, but the one on the left has a very low res. photographic emulsion look about it.

Offline damocles

• View Profile
Item hit the news here, together with an interview with a dermatologist who had actually examined the woman. His story was that it was a rare form of dermatitis, and arose because the woman had not sought help quickly for a skin infection, but allowed a month to pass using only traditional Chinese type folk remedies. When she eventually sought hospital help it was too late for her skin -- then covered in lesions -- to recover properly. He maintained that her internal organs were all in good condition, and were those of a 26-year -old.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile

Could be, but the one on the left has a very low res. photographic emulsion look about it.

Actually, the picture on the left looks like a photo of a photo !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Item hit the news here, together with an interview with a dermatologist who had actually examined the woman. His story was that it was a rare form of dermatitis, and arose because the woman had not sought help quickly for a skin infection, but allowed a month to pass using only traditional Chinese type folk remedies. When she eventually sought hospital help it was too late for her skin -- then covered in lesions -- to recover properly. He maintained that her internal organs were all in good condition, and were those of a 26-year -old.

Thanks for this...further corroborative info !

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile

Lesions my ass - ouch! Methinks somebody is pulling off a big hoax. (Journalists believe gullible isn't in the dictionary.)

I wonder if Chris is buying any of this.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Re: Recent Science News Stories and Science Articles
« Reply #210 on: 28/09/2012 22:53:22 »
New Comet Discovered—May Become "One of Brightest in History"

Astronomers have discovered a new comet which will be visible in late 2013 and is predicted to be brighter than the full moon.
If predictions are correct, C/2012 S1 will be one of the greatest comets in human history, far outshining both the the memorable Comet Hale-Bopp of 1997 (pictured) and very likely to outdo the long-awaited Comet Pan-STARRS (C/2011 L4) which is set to pass us by March 2013.
It's thought that this is the first time this particular comet has ever passed through the inner solar system - meaning it's never been blasted by the sun before.
Its brightness magnitude is expected to be -16. In comparison, the sun has a magnitude of -26, and Comet Hale-Bopp was magnitude -1

I Can't Wait To See That !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 29/09/2012 05:57:22 »
HOW EXCITING...I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO SEE IT ALSO.. I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE A GOOD LONG GANDER MYSELF! WILL YOUR SCOPE BE ABLE TO GET THE JOB DONE?
« Last Edit: 29/09/2012 05:59:41 by Karen W. »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 29/09/2012 23:20:26 »
HOW EXCITING...I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO SEE IT ALSO.. I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE A GOOD LONG GANDER MYSELF! WILL YOUR SCOPE BE ABLE TO GET THE JOB DONE?

It'll be visible to the naked eye..I remember the Hale Bop was easily observed (I saw it) with the naked eye and this one is going to be a lot lot brighter !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 30/09/2012 01:45:50 »
THATS REALLY COOL...MARCH 2013, THEN AGAIN IN LATE 2013....THERE WILL LIKELY BE FURTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS AS IT DRAWS NEAR... I HAVE TO ADD IT INTO MY CALANDER ACTIVITIES..... THANKS. FOR TELLING ME THAT.. I WILL LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING IT...

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 30/09/2012 07:22:00 »
New Comet Discovered—May Become "One of Brightest in History"
Oh...
It isn't smacking into the Earth, is it?
The "Mayan Prediction?"

Early Spring isn't always the best time for visualizing stuff in the sky around here.  Hopefully there will be a few clear nights.  Perhaps I'll have to find a secluded area to stare at the stars.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 30/09/2012 22:53:54 »
That sounds like a really nice idea Clifford and romantic as well! It would be a really nice date night, you better take YOUR someone special!

Offline Danielle-v-wilson

• First timers
    • View Profile
Beaver or Otter, It Lived in Dinosaurs' Time

Awesome and exciting new discovery! It would be interesting to discover how closely related this species is to otters, beavers or the platypus.

Offline distimpson

• View Profile
    • Kansas Meteorite Museum & Nature Center
« Reply #217 on: 27/10/2013 11:43:08 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/drkarl

this may be old news but new to me, just found this link to Dr Karl and the Naked Scientist on BBC radio 5 live.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #217 on: 27/10/2013 11:43:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums