The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What do you think of this? Do you believe it?  (Read 2200 times)

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile

SteveFish

What do you think of this? Do you believe it?
« Reply #1 on: 30/12/2010 02:07:30 »
This is from the same Yahoo News, Singapore, source that you linked for your attack of the giant space ships post. This is not a credible source of information so I don't want to take the time to follow up on the story. Why don't you check it out?
« Last Edit: 30/12/2010 02:09:21 by SteveFish »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/01/2011 04:41:14 »
This is totally plausible. Claiming that The Middle East was the pace of homonid evolution is a little much, however.

I would also like to see how rigorously the stratigraphy of the site was worked up by those excavating it was done. That would require a look at the field notes, which is not going to be permitted.

I have always considered 200,000 years a little too young for H.sapiens myself.
« Last Edit: 04/01/2011 18:20:08 by JimBob »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/01/2011 07:36:20 »
I think this is the article:

Middle pleistocene dental remains from Qesem Cave (Israel)
    Israel Hershkovitz,
    Patricia Smith,
    Rachel Sarig,
    Rolf Quam,
    Laura Rodríguez,
    Rebeca García,
    Juan Luis Arsuaga,
    Ran Barkai,
    Avi Gopher

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajpa.21446/abstract
http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2010/12/400-200ka-dental-remains-from-qesem.html

This study presents a description and comparative analysis of Middle Pleistocene permanent and deciduous teeth from the site of Qesem Cave (Israel). All of the human fossils are assigned to the Acheulo-Yabrudian Cultural Complex (AYCC) of the late Lower Paleolithic. The Middle Pleistocene age of the Qesem teeth (400–200 ka) places them chronologically earlier than the bulk of fossil hominin specimens previously known from southwest Asia. Three permanent mandibular teeth (C1-P4) were found in close proximity in the lower part of the stratigraphic sequence. The small metric dimensions of the crowns indicate a considerable degree of dental reduction although the roots are long and robust. In contrast, three isolated permanent maxillary teeth (I2, C1, and M3) and two isolated deciduous teeth that were found within the upper part of the sequence are much larger and show some plesiomorphous traits similar to those of the Skhul/Qafzeh specimens. Although none of the Qesem teeth shows a suite of Neanderthal characters, a few traits may suggest some affinities with members of the Neanderthal evolutionary lineage. However, the balance of the evidence suggests a closer similarity with the Skhul/Qafzeh dental material, although many of these resemblances likely represent plesiomorphous features.

It appears to only be available in online version.

I suppose I can't get too excited about different hominid subspecies. 

Most of what we call Modern Human has developed shortly before the Holocene Interglacial period, or perhaps between the Eemian Interglacial, 130,000 years ago, and today.

----------

Extracting DNA fragments, or demineralized connective tissue, and perhaps 14C as well as proteins would be a destructive process.  At some point, we will have to start using these techniques as part of human anthropology, but perhaps one should do the technique analysis on other more common teeth.

Actually, I think we should be able to do most of the DNA testing now, but I'm not sure if people would be willing to sacrifice the teeth of potentially the earliest "Human" fossil.  But, I have no doubt that analysis methods will also be improved over the next few decades too, so we may choose to wait on more DNA & Protein structure testing.
« Last Edit: 04/01/2011 07:43:44 by CliffordK »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 04/01/2011 07:36:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums