The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can we control migraines from happening?  (Read 2019 times)

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
How can we control migraines from happening?
« on: 30/12/2010 15:12:01 »
Is it hereditary which was passed down by generation to generation? Can migraines even be controlled? What do you think? Thanks!

Offline FuzzyUK

• View Profile
    • http://www.fusniak.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: 30/12/2010 18:18:28 »
Is it hereditary which was passed down by generation to generation? Can migraines even be controlled? What do you think? Thanks!

All my migraines turned out to be triggered off by gluten. It took me decades to figure this out.

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/01/2011 02:01:29 »
This is not an attempt to answer the question in the OP, just another question on the subject of migraine.

My son suffers frequent and severe migraines.  He has his computer beside his bed, and often goes to sleep with it turned on, he will then lie for hours with the active monitor a couple of feet or so from his head. 

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this could be a triggering factor?  We have explored, and eliminated numerous other possible triggers.

Post by sneha123 click to view.

Offline sneha123

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/01/2011 10:50:45 »
Shrunk
Hello friends,,,,this is sneha here,,,I'm new in this site,,,,I like this site,,,,Thanks for share with us,,,,hope my help all member.....Thanks lot.....

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/01/2011 22:35:56 »
Focus on one point within arms reach, not your telly or monitor, it has to be a dark object! Let your eyes relax and kind of stare at that point.
Your staring still relaxed, try to see the point your focused on and the total peripheral vision you have at the same time. To achieve this your eyes should be so relaxed staring at the focus point that you see a double image . Your dominant eye will probably be the one giving you the primary image of the two and the one that you peripheral vision slowly becomes more aware of. Stay in this, Relaxed Double Vision Staring Periphery State (RDVSPS) ;).

Now feel the pulse of the migraine in RDVSPS, every time your migraine pulses painfully, try to imagine a counter pulse coming from the way your mind is focused and relaxed. Let it kind of wash over the migraine pulse each time.  You can just continue broadcasting your painkiller at one continuous level but I always found it better to go for the migraine pulses.
My vision is actually better then 20:20 so it has never done me any harm..... by the way, do this sitting down hey and not driving a car!

This has always worked for me ever since I can remember.

If any one would like to come and untie me from this straight jacket I would appreciate it!  ;D ;D

I cant say that this will get rid of all migraines but it can do sometimes. (no recorded data) [B)]

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/01/2011 17:48:29 »
Annecdotaly, Migraines are heriditary. 
Susceptibillity can also be increased through head trauma. 
They seem to vary with age - mine (always triggered by chocolate and often triggered by withdrawl from caffine and sometimes for no obvious reason) have become less frequent but more intense.
I have found sumatriptan based drugs effective treatment, but unlike some sufferers have not found prophalactic drugs (like ergotamine) or herbal preperations such as feverfew effective.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 11/01/2011 17:48:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums