The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What makes clouds float?  (Read 15992 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What makes clouds float?
« Reply #25 on: 04/01/2011 20:59:31 »
The gas phase is simply a water vapour, so it should be of no surprise clouds stay afloat.

I don't think so QC. Water vapour in the gas phase is invisible.

The reason clouds are visible is because some of the water vapour condenses around minute hygroscopic particles.

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
What makes clouds float?
« Reply #26 on: 04/01/2011 21:33:22 »
Water vapour is a gas phase... I am confused. I am informed that ''Water vapor is a potent greenhouse gas along with other gases such as carbon.'' Water vapour you say in its gas phase cannot be seen - supposing this is true, then how can water vapour be seen when boiling water?

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
What makes clouds float?
« Reply #27 on: 04/01/2011 21:34:57 »
But still yeh, I am confused about you treating water vapour as being conditional when talking about a gas phase... can you expand on this?

Thanks

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What makes clouds float?
« Reply #28 on: 04/01/2011 21:54:30 »
then how can water vapour be seen when boiling water?

Ah, right. Steam (which is the gas phase of water) is actually invisible. When you see stuff coming out of a boiling kettle, what you are seeing is water particles that condensed out of the steam when they lost their heat to the ambient air outside the kettle.

Superheated steam escaping from a boiler can be very dangerous because it can be invisible for quite a distance away from the boiler. Consequently, it can cause severe burns before the victim even realizes what's happening. 

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
What makes clouds float?
« Reply #29 on: 04/01/2011 22:57:29 »
Take a look at this one. The writing is all together, in one big chunk of words, but you can always start with searching on ' buoyancy ' Clouds, Stability, and Buoyancy Be prepared though, really reading it you will learn more than you ever wanted to know about clouds :)

And if you still don't see what I mean?
"Don't you cry now.. The pixies will make it right children. The teddybears will come back."

Ah, where were I?

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
What makes clouds float?
« Reply #30 on: 05/01/2011 02:13:47 »

Ah, right. Steam (which is the gas phase of water) is actually invisible. When you see stuff coming out of a boiling kettle, what you are seeing is water particles that condensed out of the steam when they lost their heat to the ambient air outside the kettle.

Superheated steam escaping from a boiler can be very dangerous because it can be invisible for quite a distance away from the boiler. Consequently, it can cause severe burns before the victim even realizes what's happening. 

I'll just need to take your word for it ~ I know really nothing scientific about the subject, only what I read recently.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What makes clouds float?
« Reply #31 on: 05/01/2011 02:28:56 »

I'll just need to take your word for it ~ I know really nothing scientific about the subject, only what I read recently.

No need to take my word for it. From "Steam" on Wiki (although not necessarily the most reliable source)

"In common speech, steam most often refers to the visible white mist that condenses above boiling water as the hot vapor mixes with the cooler air. This mist consists of tiny droplets of liquid water. Pure steam emerges at the base of the spout of a steaming kettle where there is no visible vapor."

Offline Foolosophy

• View Profile
What makes clouds float?
« Reply #32 on: 05/01/2011 12:07:29 »
The gas phase is simply a water vapour, so it should be of no surprise clouds stay afloat.

I don't think so QC. Water vapour in the gas phase is invisible.

The reason clouds are visible is because some of the water vapour condenses around minute hygroscopic particles.

This is correct.

Water vapour itself (ie steam) is not visible to the naked eye.

Notice the breath from your mouth when you exhale on a cold morning?

And we all know Why this doesnt occur each and every time we exhale?

(and of course density is NOT the reason clouds float. Smoke particles float away in plumes and yet the denisty of a smoke particle can be several thousand times greater than that of the surrounding air. So why dont the smoke particles settle out rapidly? Seek and thy shalt discover my child)
« Last Edit: 05/01/2011 12:57:59 by Foolosophy »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
What makes clouds float?
« Reply #33 on: 05/01/2011 17:32:46 »
heh :)
==

What is 'pressure'?
« Last Edit: 05/01/2011 17:51:38 by yor_on »

Offline Foolosophy

• View Profile
What makes clouds float?
« Reply #34 on: 06/01/2011 03:26:03 »
heh :)
==

What is 'pressure'?

Only The Scientist can answer that sublime question

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
What makes clouds float?
« Reply #35 on: 06/01/2011 05:41:32 »
(and of course density is NOT the reason clouds float. Smoke particles float away in plumes and yet the denisty of a smoke particle can be several thousand times greater than that of the surrounding air. So why dont the smoke particles settle out rapidly? Seek and thy shalt discover my child)

"So, so, so, he was only joking children."

"Yes, it's the fairy dust."

"N000, stop that, he did not mean that you should go out the window again Peter. We're on the tenth floor, remember?"

"YES! for the ninthyeleventh time. Tinkle bell will be here as soon as she can, Someone has to work."

Foolosophy, now you've upset the kids.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2011 05:44:20 by yor_on »

Offline Foolosophy

• View Profile
What makes clouds float?
« Reply #36 on: 06/01/2011 06:16:03 »

"So, so, so, he was only joking children."

"Yes, it's the fairy dust."

"N000, stop that, he did not mean that you should go out the window again Peter. We're on the tenth floor, remember?"

"YES! for the ninthyeleventh time. Tinkle bell will be here as soon as she can, Someone has to work."

Foolosophy, now you've upset the kids.

Careful Yoron, you may be ejected from this establishment for posting potentially humourous comments that have no scientific conservatism attached to them

The Naked Scientists Forum

What makes clouds float?
« Reply #36 on: 06/01/2011 06:16:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums