The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do you think that animals ever talk behind our back?  (Read 4092 times)

cat_with_no_eyes

About us humans.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Do you think that animals ever talk behind our back?
« Reply #1 on: 03/01/2011 00:59:52 »
In an important breakthrough in deciphering dolphin language, researchers in Great Britain and the United States have imaged the first high definition imprints that dolphin sounds make in water. (2008)

One of the scientists, Jack Kassewitz, had this to say, "During my times in the water with dolphins, there have been several occasions when they seemed to be very determined to communicate with me. We are getting closer to making that possible.”

(www.speakdolphin.com)

If these animals are "talking" about us It would probably be positive at the moment, so if and when they do crack the code of Dolphin language, I hope they don't tell them it's us that have polluted the seas and wrecked their habitat!! 

I bet they wouldn't be so friendly then hey?

SteveFish

« Reply #2 on: 03/01/2011 01:08:46 »
I used to walk by a pond that hosted ducks that stayed year round. I frequently thought that they were laughing at me.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/01/2011 00:57:21 »
I used to walk by a pond that hosted ducks that stayed year round. I frequently thought that they were laughing at me.

Maybe they were laughing with each other as they had it so good all year round?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/01/2011 01:43:32 »
Unfortunately we have very poor communication skills with other species, so we have no idea of the complexity of animal communication or language. 

It is clear that horses will nicker a greeting to each other. 

Cattle have been observed with essentially a designated "babysitter"...  that somehow is communicated to the herd and to the young. 

Elephants and whales are believed to have relatively complex communication, yet we haven't "cracked the code". 

Chimps have been able to learn a human form of a rudimentary symbolic language, but it is generally limited to a few hundred words.

Animals in the wild are found to have several approaches to humans.  Ignoring them, skittish of them, hostile to them, mooching off of them, etc.  Some of this is likely innate, i.e.  Those deer that didn't get killed by arrows and guns eventually developed an innate fear of humans.  Some may be learned through individual experience, or through herd experience.  I recently saw a report on hostility in elephants which may be related to hunting and poaching practices.

Anyway, it is possible that animals at least have some ability to communicate generalities about humans, or perhaps even individuals.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04/01/2011 05:40:00 »
Shona, our Aberdeen Terrier, is extremely communicative. She has quite a broad vocabulary of different sounds and actions that clearly have specific meanings to her. We're still trying to understand what they all mean.

She stands on her hind legs and smiles to greet us when we come home, and she also does it whenever she meets people. We never trained her to do this, and apparently her brother does the same thing.

She also does a curious "chop-chop" thing where she snaps her teeth together. She does this to get our attention. I've never seen another dog do that, but perhaps it's not that unusual.

There was an excellent program on PBS recently in the US called "Dogs Decoded" in the Nova series if I remember correctly. I suspect it's been screened in the UK too, but possibly with a different title. I found it quite remarkable. If you are interested in dogs, or any other animals, it's well worth watching.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/01/2011 05:53:00 »
I think it would be a reasonable statement to say that animals nay have developed ways of communicating with another not through verbal language but other forms of communication, body language, and chemical for example.  As most animals do not have the ability to vocalise the way we do this is how they have evolved to communicate.  How they might use these other forms of communication to express abstract opinions about another species such as ourselves is much more difficult to speculate on.

Maybe when a bird excretes on you from the air for example, they might be trying to tell us something and once translated  would probably be quite derogatory.  :D

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 10/01/2011 05:53:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums