The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Will a monstera pose any risk to my fish?  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Bonnie

• First timers
    • View Profile
Will a monstera pose any risk to my fish?
« on: 04/01/2011 02:40:16 »
I have a beta fish, and just recently put a monstera in the tank, I believe they are non toxic to the fish. However I am not sure. I love the fish and he seems to be enjoying the plant. Does anyone have any insight into this, as I have looked elsewhere and havn't found any info eiher way.

Mod edit - formatted subject as a question - please do this to help keep the forum tidy and easier to navigate. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 19/01/2011 11:51:57 by BenV »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Re: Will a monstera pose any risk to my fish?
« Reply #1 on: 04/01/2011 13:41:51 »
So far as I am aware, the Monstera is not toxic. There are 20+ species of the plant, some of which produce edible fruits.

You say you have put a plant in with your Betta Fish (Siamese fighting fish). Do you mean you have planted the roots in the aquarium gravel? If so, I am not sure the plant will survive. Although some are native of South American tropical rain forest, such as Monstera deliciosa they do not like their roots being immersed in water. As the name suggests, these plants are monster's, using aerial roots to hold on to trees, they reach 20 metres. I think you would be better off getting some tropical aquarium plants. Take a look here.

If you want some company for your Betta Fish and your aquarium has the capacity, try some compatible fish. Obviously not another Betta Fish and avoid any fish with large fins, such as Angel Fish. But you could put in Neon Tetras and Harlequins.

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/01/2011 18:49:10 »
The female Betta are less aggressive, but have smaller fins. They do appreciate some plants, and a largish tank, not the tiny bowls you often find them in.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 06/01/2011 18:49:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums