The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What did Cambridge teach in the 13th Century?  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• I before E except after C, unless weird science
    • View Profile
What did Cambridge teach in the 13th Century?
« on: 05/01/2011 06:58:26 »
They have been saying that Cambridge is celebrating it's 800th year as a school. Funny that I thought the city was established in the 1600's. Guess I'm just another ignorant American. Cambridge, MA of course is home to both Harvard and M.I.T. nether has a good football team like U of O Ducks, but I suppose they are OK schools nonetheless.

Cambridge U in England is known today for it's science but that was clearly not the case when it was founded in the 1200's. If I were enrolling in Cambridge back then what would I expect to study? Would I be the same "College age" then as students are today (late teens early 20's) or would I be quite a lot younger?

Can you add a history of science section to the forum for questions like these?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05/01/2011 10:17:30 »
I think the subjects were on the lines of theology, philosophy, maths, arts, and medicine; although how much of those subjects we would recognize now I don't know.  I think the main subjects were theology and philosophy - I know that the Divinity School in Oxford has been where the DDs have presented their theses for examination for over 500 years

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 05/01/2011 10:17:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length