The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What killed these birds?  (Read 31131 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Perhaps we should merge this topic with the existing topic we have on the subject.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=36437.0

Would you agree?

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
It's starting to get a little worrying.

what we got so far then;

a) This is a global phenomenon
b) Seems to be birds and fish
c) The best scientists in the world do not have answers!

If these cases are all related then it leaves very few possibilities

Disease, viral, or poisons?

For all these birds to die around a similar time suggests that if it is viral then it must have been dormant in the birds for some time for it to spread globally, or was introduced from space!

Poisons would be an answer but again how could this be happening over such a large global area?  Unless someone has released something in an attempt to control human population and the birds are an indicator of what is to come for us. Time to get into that bunker maybe?

Disease maybe?

At present this seems to be effecting a very small number of the total global bird and fish populations, still as QuantumClue sais,  worrying!!  I say watch this space!!

I think the other topic should be merged with this one as this one is more general relating to new information on the subject. Or even better a merger into a new topic title such as Bird & fish deaths, what is causing this?
« Last Edit: 08/01/2011 08:04:29 by Airthumbs »

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #27 on: 08/01/2011 08:02:22 »
Well, got to admit that I've always had an eye for the birds. What is it they say? "better a bird in a bush than a bush in the bird?" Nah, wait.. "Better a bush in the bird that a bird in the bush?" Well something like it, maybe it involved humming birds? It's getting late here I must admit :)

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
Perhaps we should merge this topic with the existing topic we have on the subject.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=36437.0

Would you agree?

If you want Geezer.

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
It's starting to get a little worrying.

what we got so far then;

a) This is a global phenomenon
b) Seems to be birds and fish
c) The best scientists in the world do not have answers!

If these cases are all related then it leaves very few possibilities

Disease, viral, or poisons?

For all these birds to die around a similar time suggests that if it is viral then it must have been dormant in the birds for some time for it to spread globally, or was introduced from space!

Poisons would be an answer but again how could this be happening over such a large global area?  Unless someone has released something in an attempt to control human population and the birds are an indicator of what is to come for us. Time to get into that bunker maybe?

Disease maybe?

At present this seems to be effecting a very small number of the total global bird and fish populations, still as QuantumClue sais,  worrying!!  I say watch this space!!

I think the other topic should be merged with this one as this one is more general relating to new information on the subject. Or even better a merger into a new topic title such as Bird & fish deaths, what is causing this?

We just don't know. If it's hypoxia, then we need to ask why birds all over the world are now being suffocated... from what exactly? And if it is viral, why isn't the death toll much higher, presuming that it has successfully spred to italy, to sweden and from all over the USA. What is unique about these countries? And what about our wide range of species of birds? 

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #30 on: 08/01/2011 08:19:44 »
We just don't know. If it's hypoxia, then we need to ask why birds all over the world are now being suffocated... from what exactly? And if it is viral, why isn't the death toll much higher, presuming that it has successfully spred to italy, to sweden and from all over the USA. What is unique about these countries? And what about our wide range of species of birds? 

As you say it is worrying to say the least, maybe we are in the early stages of a viral outbreak.    I think it might be possible for a heart attack to cause hypoxia and also respiratory problems that a virus could be responsible for?

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #31 on: 08/01/2011 08:41:09 »
:)

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #32 on: 08/01/2011 08:44:49 »

As you say it is worrying to say the least, maybe we are in the early stages of a viral outbreak.    I think it might be possible for a heart attack to cause hypoxia and also respiratory problems that a virus could be responsible for?

There might have been a high level of stress from fireworks could answer for the hypoxia, but then we need to ask why we have never seen this before... and why such a large range of birds are being effected.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #33 on: 08/01/2011 09:25:14 »

There might have been a high level of stress from fireworks could answer for the hypoxia, but then we need to ask why we have never seen this before... and why such a large range of birds are being effected.

Quote "On 13-14 March 1904, an article in the Quarterly Journal of Ornithology reported at least 750,000 migrating Lapland Longspurs were found dead in Worthington, Minnesota. Some were said to have flown against buildings, electric lights and wires, and others to have dashed themselves on frozen ground and ice. The dead birds were sprawled over 1,500 square miles". (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12135380)

Now I cannot verify this story and it seems a little unusual in that it is very similar to what happened in America recently!  On this kind of scale I would suggest that it could be viral?

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #34 on: 08/01/2011 09:32:36 »
Hmmm.

Well the first thing to bear in mind is that it may not be that we are seeing greater levels of avian deaths, it could just be we are hearing about it more because of the unusual circumstance of the red wing blackbirds being reported. Although it is not a usual occurrence for birds to just fall out of the sky! But it is often the case with media that you get a stream of stories, all related being reported whereas usually they might not be.

Aside from that, it is baffling.  ??? If it was viral, which it might be, I would expect more species of birds in the same area to be affected, rather than just seemingly random 'clumps' of birds being affected. I would also expect to see a more gradual increase, a few birds being found first then increasing as time goes on. But that is just based on my thoughts, I could be quite wrong.  :)

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #35 on: 08/01/2011 10:16:58 »
A scientist I just spoke to of physics believes our biosphere is dying. I hope he is wrong, because that would lead to the extinction of everything eventually.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #36 on: 08/01/2011 11:47:23 »
Bird experts seem to think it's media hype.

At any given time there are "at least ten billion birds in North America ... and there could be as much as 20 billion—and almost half die each year due to natural causes," said ornithologist Greg Butcher, director of bird conservation for the National Audubon Society in Washington, D.C.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/01/110106-birds-falling-from-sky-bird-deaths-arkansas-science/ 

----------------------
I saw this movie called "The Core."  The earth's core stopped spinning which caused birds to crash into buildings and die in huge numbers.

Then they built a giant drill out of unobtanium and drilled to the earth's core to restart it!

I hope that's not the cause, because I'm fresh out of unobtanium.  :(

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #37 on: 08/01/2011 14:18:48 »
JP

I think those bird experts haven't thought through their contentions on this at all. Afterall, bird deaths are not uncommon, that is correct... but they don't die sporadically in the thousands, nor in one specific place unless some there is a viral outbreak or some astmospheric contamination.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #38 on: 08/01/2011 16:00:46 »
JP

I think those bird experts haven't thought through their contentions on this at all. Afterall, bird deaths are not uncommon, that is correct... but they don't die sporadically in the thousands, nor in one specific place unless some there is a viral outbreak or some astmospheric contamination.

Actually that's precisely what experts say does happen.  I'm going to put my trust in this one with the scientists who specialize in studying birds.

Here's another story where experts are saying this isn't unusual:
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/01/08/11/mass-bird-and-fish-deaths-stoke-curiosity

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #39 on: 08/01/2011 16:42:27 »
Well I don't believe that flocks upon flocks of birds die simultaneously because of natural causes.

Offline steelrat1

• View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #40 on: 09/01/2011 13:27:26 »
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=201817256339889828327.0004991bca25af104a22b [nofollow]

a link to un explained animal deaths from around the world via google maps

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #41 on: 09/01/2011 17:05:04 »
A scientist I just spoke to of physics believes our biosphere is dying. I hope he is wrong, because that would lead to the extinction of everything eventually.

The scientist you spoke too is in my opinion absolutely correct although as for the recent bird deaths?

Offline yamo

• View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #42 on: 10/01/2011 03:04:47 »
Volcanism.  the hundreds of mini quakes..the fish and birds were killed by discharges of carbon monoxide.  hypoxia.

Offline steelrat1

• View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #43 on: 11/01/2011 14:28:28 »
Volcanism ? in the UK? think not..
death by a bird disease? what all at the same time? also think not.
a rather cold snap- not really too localised.. unless they flew to far up where the air is colder and less oxygen
magnetic pulse? doubt it very hard to create such a large pulse that would kill anything unless many times greater than the suns field. but maybe birds following the earths distorted magnetic lines and flying to high?  i think that could be a real contender, as for the fish could be lots of things.
anyway it shouldn’t be something that we all just dismiss though we need good scientific proof after the speculations.

Offline fmills

• First timers
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #44 on: 11/01/2011 16:14:17 »
Visualize a very low-flying fighter jet buzzing the town of Beebe, Arkansas at midnight on new years eve.  Littlerock Air Force base is very close too Beebe Arkansas.  Say some jet jockeys wanted to bring in the new year with a bang and startle their friends or family or just have fun with a sonic boom to bring in the new year. 

Suppose it was two of them.  The first plane comes in low and startles the birds.  The birds are shaken from their roosts and fly in a panic into the night sky.  Then the second jet comes in low and is braking the sound barrier and comes within a couple hundred feet of the bird flocks delivering a lethal concussive blow to these birds which then fly away from the blast and very rapidly begin dying and falling to the ground covering about a one mile area.  This is another theory.   

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #45 on: 11/01/2011 20:07:35 »
I have it from an unimpeachable source I met in a pub that it was caused by some tearaway aliens zipping about the cosmos in their souped-up flying saucers.

Offline yamo

• View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #46 on: 12/01/2011 06:43:02 »

not in the uk...in Arkansas. caused by the added weight of melted polar caps on tectonic plates, frakking, gulf oil drilling...new volcano in Arkansas on the way.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #47 on: 12/01/2011 06:59:11 »

not in the uk...in Arkansas. caused by the added weight of melted polar caps on tectonic plates, frakking, gulf oil drilling...new volcano in Arkansas on the way.

I think it's more likely to take the form of a major earthquake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #49 on: 12/01/2011 10:10:33 »
and more fish die off in unusual circumstances...

http://www.suntimes.com/3248260-417/shad-chicago-gizzard-harbors-die.html

The Naked Scientists Forum

What killed these birds?
« Reply #49 on: 12/01/2011 10:10:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums