The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What killed these birds?  (Read 31189 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #75 on: 15/01/2011 20:53:19 »
Could the answer here be extrapolated to explain the mass death of the dinosaur?

Probably only with extraextraextrapolation.  :D

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #76 on: 16/01/2011 03:09:33 »
I thought I had responded yesterday, but apparently it got lost.

Just be thankful it isn't ANOTHER mass die-off of Sperm Whales...  which makes a much nastier mess to clean up   [xx(]

I think there is an aspect of being over-reported due to occurring just after New Years, then hitting global news.

However, I am glad that government agencies are taking them seriously.  Hopefully storing some tissue from unresolved cases too, as we learn about new viruses and toxins every day.

In the 30's some astute researchers made some very important discoveries after local farmers brought cows in with internal hemorrhaging after eating moldy hay.
http://purplemedicalblog.blogspot.com/2006/12/coumadin-warfarin-how-farmers-moldy.html

A flock of birds would tend to all eat from a single food source.  So, if there were some bad berries or grains, every one might get some.  If it is a local issue, it might be very species selective in one area, but not carry over to another area.

There have been observed and predicted changes in Earth's magnetic field.  Will that cause mass bird die-offs?

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #77 on: 16/01/2011 12:38:05 »
I've been keeping a close eye on reports, as you will all know by now. There is more, and JP you might find this interesting. In a conversation with Jack Sarfatti, a quantum physicists he made a mention of statistics involving the dead birds, saying that there deaths surely cannot be a coincidence. A new report says, '' how long can scientists say this is a normal thing''

http://stardrive.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3102:300-birds-fall-from-the-sky-in-alabama-how-much-longer-can-scientists-keep-saying-this-is-normal&catid=45:weird-desk&Itemid=103

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #78 on: 16/01/2011 15:00:34 »
???

Despite the article title, the entire article is about how these deaths are pretty normal, and includes plenty of statistics and interviews supporting that. 

If you want to go to quantum physicists to argue about what caused the bird deaths, check out Michio Kaku on it.  Heck--I've published quantum physics research, and I'll weigh in to tell you that it's not an issue. 

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #79 on: 16/01/2011 15:03:47 »
Please don't tell me you agree with Kaku on this, the whole idea of mass suicide seems... unlikely.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #80 on: 16/01/2011 15:30:18 »
Did you bother to read either the article or watch the video before linking them?  Your posts recently have indicated that you aren't really reading what you're posting to understand it...

Kaku's "suicide" idea is that the lead bird of a flock got confused and crashed into something.  The whole flock instinctively follows him and crashes into something as well. 

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #81 on: 16/01/2011 15:33:20 »
Did you bother to read either the article or watch the video before linking them?  Your posts recently have indicated that you aren't really reading what you're posting to understand it...

Kaku's "suicide" idea is that the lead bird of a flock got confused and crashed into something.  The whole flock instinctively follows him and crashes into something as well. 

What kind of question is that? I am not half-hearted in this conversation or anything. I watched the video before I posted it, and I also read the link. Point is that his opinion doesn't make sense.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #82 on: 16/01/2011 15:40:49 »
http://stardrive.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3102:300-birds-fall-from-the-sky-in-alabama-how-much-longer-can-scientists-keep-saying-this-is-normal&catid=45:weird-desk&Itemid=103

Is mass snow "normal" in Alabama?

I'm not sure if I've ever hit a bird in the car.  Sometimes I think it will be close, but they always slip aside.

But, I could imagine a flock of birds...  perhaps disoriented by the snow.  Perhaps hungry.  And, getting hit. 

Is it surprising to find animals dead beside a freeway that are reported to be killed by trauma?

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #83 on: 16/01/2011 15:47:01 »
I don't know.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #84 on: 17/01/2011 04:37:13 »
Is it surprising to find animals dead beside a freeway that are reported to be killed by trauma?

On our last trip to Washington, we must have seen 50 dead deer beside the highway that appeared to have been killed by "blunt force trauma".  Sometimes there were a couple of carcasses within a few feet of each other.  [B)]

I didn't seem to be indicative of a national emergency though.  [xx(]

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #85 on: 17/01/2011 13:11:04 »
On our last trip to Washington, we must have seen 50 dead deer beside the highway that appeared to have been killed by "blunt force trauma".  Sometimes there were a couple of carcasses within a few feet of each other.  [B)]

Just out of curiosity is that W... DC, W...State, or least likely W... Tyne and Wear.  If it was Tyne and Wear 50 dead deers would probably constitute a national emergency. 

Are the deer killed by trucks?  I would have thought if they were hitting family cars you would have also seen 50 car wrecks as well.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #86 on: 17/01/2011 18:36:23 »

Just out of curiosity is that W... DC, W...State, or least likely W... Tyne and Wear.  If it was Tyne and Wear 50 dead deers would probably constitute a national emergency. 

Are the deer killed by trucks?  I would have thought if they were hitting family cars you would have also seen 50 car wrecks as well.

I suspect he's referring to WA. That's the one on the left coast of the US just below Canada.

We're pretty much inundated with whitetail deer around here (North Idaho). You really have to be prepared for them all the time when you are driving.

Unless you are driving really fast, a deer collision usually does not do too much damage to the vehicle, particularly if you are driving a pickup truck, but the deer seldom survive. Elk collisions are much worse, and moose collisions are frequently fatal to the occupants of the vehicle.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #87 on: 17/01/2011 22:44:27 »
Yes...
from Oregon up to central Washington State over Christmas.  I'm trying to remember where, but I think we saw most of the deer north of the Columbia...  and perhaps it was only a dozen or two.

A deer certainly can do significant damage to the plastic grills on a vehicle, but it certainly would all depend on the speed of the impact.  And in rural areas, people usually get their car going again, but leave the deer beside the road (I'm not sure why more don't end up as dinner, although it technically isn't legal to take it home).

Anyway, I was just commenting about the dead birds seen in Alabama (I think).  Whew, it looked cold down there.  But not many people get too excited about "road kill". 

I would have hated to be the driver that slammed into the flock of birds down there...  like a Hitchcock Nightmare. 

High numbers of Road Kill often means that there is a large population of living animals nearby.

I would blame some of it on odd weather patterns this last winter, not that I'm ready to accuse the weather patterns pummelling Europe and the Eastern USA is man-made.  And the migratory animals have to be stable enough to endure the occasional unpredictable weather pattern.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #88 on: 18/01/2011 12:17:36 »
The reason that I mentioned car-wrecks was that my uncle's car was completed wrecked and written-off when he hit a red deer.  I did a quick wiki on the relative size of the deer concerned - red deer weigh about twice as much as white-tail, therein lies the problem when you hit one (as geezer mentioned with Elk/Moose).  Same Uncle had deer jump clean over moving car - no one believed him about that story until a few months later he wrote the car off hitting one.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
What killed these birds?
« Reply #90 on: 27/02/2011 00:47:03 »
I have it, the birds are so sick of the food they eat being full of chemicals and the taste is so bad they just decided to fly straight into the ground.  They most likely did this in the vain hope that they might be noticed but would be very disappointed to discover there martyrdom was for nothing as humans say that kind of behavior is normal!

The Naked Scientists Forum

What killed these birds?
« Reply #90 on: 27/02/2011 00:47:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums