The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How to build a D.I.Y. radio telescope  (Read 14599 times)

Offline williampcochran

• View Profile
How to build a D.I.Y. radio telescope
« on: 05/01/2011 17:58:28 »
hello all, i was wondering if any of you had built a radio telescope, and might share some of you wisdom with the rest of us. some articles online are available but exp is king.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #1 on: 06/01/2011 00:26:10 »
Radio astronomy is very different from optical astronomy have you any idea of the sorts of things that you would like to observe? commercial satellite dishes and high gain TV aerials are probably a good starting point but you will probably need a couple to create an interferometer.  How much space have you and what sort of investment are you prepared to put into it?

I can make some suggestions once I have heard back from you although I have never tried it myself

Offline williampcochran

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/01/2011 21:55:10 »
hey thank you for the reply. most of the descriptions i read were to use a small primestar dish as a receiver, but i was thinking of using a much larger dish, like an old g-5 type with a motor and large array. what type of receiver box should i use to say take readings of the sun during a solar storm?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/01/2011 23:09:53 »
Not sure about these things.  Building a mid microwave receiver yourself is quite difficult because of all the precision microwave circuitry needed.  If you use the satellite frequencies a standard low noise block might do because all the demodulation comes in the receiver box I think and the signal comes down from the antenna at IF.  To follow that a lower amateur radio microwave front end should do what you want.

You can probably do interesting things with a couple of  high gain UHF TV Yagis several yards apart pointed upwards with low noise front end amplifiers and combined into a simple analogue TV receiver front end and look for interference fringes as some of the brighter sources track through the beam.  you could also listen for meteor trail reflections bringing in remote TV signals briefly

Offline Foolosophy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/01/2011 12:30:44 »
hello all, i was wondering if any of you had built a radio telescope, and might share some of you wisdom with the rest of us. some articles online are available but exp is king.

The effectiveness of antenae systems is based upon the resolution and S/N ratio, sensitivity etc

if you switch your television to a vacan channel you get what appears to be random non-sensical static. Part of the the noise you see on your screen is made up of the Cosmic Background Radiation left over from the Big Bang.

Behold this Radio Telescope has detected the CBR - an ancient signature of the Big Bang event that is omnipresent in the Universe today and radiates at a Temperature of approximately 5K - very chilly indeed

« Last Edit: 07/01/2011 12:46:53 by Foolosophy »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/01/2011 12:56:23 »
Most telescopes are a bit more "image conscious" than that.

Online syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/01/2011 13:04:05 »
If you point your antenna to the sky and measure the noise power coming out of the receiver what you will get is a mixture of genuine received noise and noise generated internally by the input stage of the receiver.
Although much effort has gone into the design of modern receivers to reduce this noise it is still a considerable proportion of the apparent received noise at UHF.
The answer is to make a comparison between the antenna signal and a known source of noise with the aid of a Dickes radiometer.

http://www.millitech.com/pdfs/Radiometer.pdf

Offline Foolosophy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07/01/2011 14:38:41 »

This comment has come from a Chemist who is bored

interesting

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07/01/2011 15:58:59 »

This comment has come from a Chemist who is bored

interesting

And...?

Offline williampcochran

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07/01/2011 17:30:26 »
do you know of any programs for listening to the cosmos?

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08/01/2011 03:04:28 »
What about Cosmos?

;D

Offline rumjar86

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05/11/2011 01:50:49 »
Hi i was wondering if my uniden UBCT9 would be ok for use in a radio telescope setup as the receiver.
here are the specs that I was found.

Service Bands:  6 preprogrammed search bands
Frequency Range: 25.0-28.0 MHz
28.0-70.0 MHz
70.0-88.0 MHz
88.0-108.0 MHz
108.0-137.0 MHz
137.0-148.0 MHz
148.0-174.0 MHz
174.0-225.0 MHz
225.0-400.0 MHz
400.0-512.0 MHz
806.0-956.0 MHz
1240.0-1300.0 MHz

thanks for any help.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05/11/2011 18:22:27 »
This receiver is mostly designed to receive FM signals and is not really suitable for radio astronomy.   It also works at frequencies that are rather too low for the design of highly directive amateur built antennas.  To do radio astronomy  you need a receiver designed to measure the strength of signals precisely and compare the to a standard noise source and scan the sky using as narrow a beam antenna as possible.

One possible thing that you might just do with it id detecting jupiter's radio emissions  see  http://www.spaceacademy.net.au/spacelab/projects/jovrad/jovrad.htm

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 05/11/2011 18:22:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums