The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: NAKED SINGULARITY  (Read 2496 times)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
NAKED SINGULARITY
« on: 25/02/2006 15:14:47 »
why would the gravitational effects of a naked singularity  be different to that of a standard Kerr black hole with an event horizon

Michael
« Last Edit: 25/02/2006 15:33:26 by ukmicky »

Offline Ray hinton

• View Profile
    • http://uk.geocities.com/rayhinton56@btinternet.com/photopagetan.html
Re: NAKED SINGULARITY
« Reply #1 on: 26/02/2006 14:36:53 »
mickey, forgive me for being a peasant,but what is a singularity ?,i didnt know the were not always associated with black holes,i thought there were an integral part of a black hole and vice-versa 8)

measure twice,cut once.

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 26/02/2006 15:16:16 »
A singularity is a bit of space with infinite density (i.e. it has mass, but occupies an infinitesimal amount of space, and so its density is infinite).

Like Michael and Ray, I am a little interested how such can exist without some sort of event horizon being generated, even if it a minute event horizon.

Ofcourse, as I understand it, Ian seems to believe that true singularities cannot in fact exist.  Without even starting to understand his maths, one does have an instinct that however attractive the notion of a singularity might be, one is wary of the notion of infinity, even when applied to density (it might also, to my mind, seem to contravene Heisenberg's uncertainty principle but then, the problem always was that the relativity guys and the quantum guys could rarely agree about what things should be).

George

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #3 on: 26/02/2006 16:49:56 »
Under the law of conservation of angular momentum a rotating black holes rotation is increased as its radius is decreased and when  the black holes spin /angular momentum is increased beyond it's mass (FASTER THAN LIGHT), the event horizon would vanish  exposing the singularity. Allowing us to travel freely into and out of the singularity. physicists believe that they do or can exist but so far no naked singularities have been found but the possibility of them existing is there as unbeliever Stephen Hawkins found out when it was mathematically proved they they can occur and he had to pay out on a bet.  

However they say if one was found we would be able to freely move inside and out of one due to there being no event horizon and because of there different gravitation effects compared to a normal kerr black hole with a event horizon.  but i thought a black holes gravity comes from the mass in the singularity ,so why does the absence of a EV  make a difference to the gravitational forces created by a blackhole.

Interestingly they also say if you were to enter one you would be able to use it as a time machine

Michael
« Last Edit: 26/02/2006 17:02:12 by ukmicky »

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 26/02/2006 17:20:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky

Under the law of conservation of angular momentum a rotating black holes rotation is increased as its radius is decreased and when  the black holes spin /angular momentum is increased beyond it's mass (FASTER THAN LIGHT), the event horizon would vanish  exposing the singularity. Allowing us to travel freely into and out of the singularity. physicists believe that they do or can exist but so far no naked singularities have been found but the possibility of them existing is there as unbeliever Stephen Hawkins found out when it was mathematically proved they they can occur and he had to pay out on a bet.  

However they say if one was found we would be able to freely move inside and out of one due to there being no event horizon and because of there different gravitation effects compared to a normal kerr black hole with a event horizon.  but i thought a black holes gravity comes from the mass in the singularity ,so why does the absence of a EV  make a difference to the gravitational forces created by a blackhole.

Interestingly they also say if you were to enter one you would be able to use it as a time machine

Michael

All of which assumes that singularities exist at all.

If a black hole is incapable of collapsing to the point where its angular velocity exceeds the speed of light, then it becomes a non-issue.

The fact that a body has collapsed inside its Schwartzkopf radius does not necessarily mean it has collapsed into a singularity.

The other problem is, if we cannot see inside the event horizon, then how can we tell what the rotational speed of the body within is all we can possibly tell is what the rotational speed of the event horizon itself is, because that is all we are allowed to see.  To see something beyond the that which is happening at the event horizon would imply that information was leaking out from within the event horizon, and I thought that that was a no no.

George

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 26/02/2006 17:20:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums