The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Something not right here?  (Read 4721 times)

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Something not right here?
« on: 07/01/2011 03:30:37 »
Just spent the entire morning looking after a Russian 27yr old mother of four who one of the asylum seekers bought back to the hotel!  He tried to give her very strong sleeping tablets, she escaped his room and asked me to sit with her in my cafe whilst we waited for her brother to drive three hours from Germany to collect her.

What is going on with these people!!! Someone pinch me I need to wake up from this nightmare  [:(!]

Only on Monday I reported someone here for bringing back a 14yr old girl to his room! He has been relocated to secure housing.

A week ago someone told me they wanted to kill me and then the day after came to the cafe door, my room, with a hammer behind his back, some of the other residents saw him and told me not to open my door.

I have a guy who lives here, we call him stinky, he likes to collect rubbish and his room is a whole eco-system in itself!
Three months ago I went for a walk at midnight because I could not sleep and saw stinky at it with a cow!

I have to stop or I will spoil the book I'm writing!!  Something is not right here!!
I wish I could tell you all what I have been through since December 2009 but I don't think you would believe me!! Hell!!

Phew glad I got that off my chest though!  What do you think?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07/01/2011 03:39:52 »
Was the cow wearing lipstick?

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/01/2011 03:53:23 »
Geezer, thankfully I was not that close!!  :o

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/01/2011 04:21:45 »
You must be in Luxemburg?
I spent a day there.

Flew in to Europe.
One night in a hotel somewhere (I think).
Then hopped a train heading South the next day.

I assume the country has a large "transient" population that just travels through the city for a few days.  Perhaps that is related.

Perhaps there is a growing rift between men and women, with some women using "sex" to manipulate men.  And some men manipulating women for "sex".

Somehow we need to get back to "family values" centered around LOVE.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/01/2011 04:32:02 »
CliffordK, yep I am here in Luxembourg, I totally agree with your statement about family values.  My philosophy is that we are one big human family but many people just don't see that.  [:-'(]

I hope you did not stay here as it might explain the reason you can't remember anything  [:0]

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/01/2011 04:53:54 »
Some of these Ipod type things can record sound continuously for 10 hours, (til the battery fails).

If you carry one, (always recording), it could come in handy for reporting any verbal death threats,
or when writing the script for your forthcoming book / TV series / film  :)
« Last Edit: 07/01/2011 05:00:54 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/01/2011 05:01:28 »

I hope you did not stay here as it might explain the reason you can't remember anything  [:0]

Jet Lag didn't help, and it has been half a lifetime ago.  Boys are usually less of a target then girls...  and I do try to keep track of what I'm putting into my mouth.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07/01/2011 05:23:27 »
I remember sitting in the restaurant in the ITT Sheraton in Brussels and counting the number of tricks the ladies across the street were able to do while we were having breakfast!
« Last Edit: 07/01/2011 05:26:48 by Geezer »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #8 on: 07/01/2011 11:05:09 »
Gosh! What sort of tricks were they performing? Card tricks, sawing each other in half, or have I rather naively got the wrong end of the stick here?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07/01/2011 15:31:15 »
I think it was a variation on Three Card Monte.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07/01/2011 16:58:00 »
There are definitely some unusual games going on here! 

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08/01/2011 04:33:51 »
Are you working in a homeless shelter?
Ah asylum shelter, sort of?
ok.

but those guys need to get reported if they work there.
If they don't then, human nature of the darker kind.
But it sux, and you better talk with some authority about it anyway.

That won't change what they might try to do but you at least have passed the buck upwards in the responsibility chain. You better be careful, there are some very sick bast**s out there.
==

Not specifically asylum and homeless shelters though.
I mean everywhere in fact :)

But it's pretty hard at the bottom.
So I guess you'll see some weird things working there.
« Last Edit: 08/01/2011 04:42:12 by yor_on »

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08/01/2011 05:23:28 »
Are you working in a homeless shelter?
Ah asylum shelter, sort of?

I am the estate manager for what I suppose could be called an asylum shelter.  I also live here in what used to be a hotel/cafe/restaurant.

I am in regular contact with the police, although I have to say they have been extremely unhelpful in any support they provide.  I had to blackmail them into taking a report for the person who threatened to kill me. Fortunately I have several witnesses who heard him say he was going to kill me and several more who saw him at my door with a hammer behind his back.  He tried to get me to open the door on the premise of returning the key for the laundry room.
At the moment I think the police don't want anything to do with this place so I gave up on them a while ago.

I am also in regular contact with the owner and family ministry who are extremely helpful.  I have done as much as I can to get help for stinky but unless he declares that he wants assistance there is nothing that can be done for him.  He has been given his notice to leave the hotel.  This unfortunately seems to be the only way we can stop the atrocious smell that originates from his room.  In the summer I instigated a visit from the local commune who arrived with the police and ministry of health and others, they condemned his room as a public health hazard.  It is such a shame that the system seems to have failed him here.

Today I had a call from the owner regarding the man and his 14yr old visitor, he has displayed disturbing behaviour in the past including jeering at young girls on the train and putting magazine pictures all over his wall of young girls.  This has all been reported to the family ministry.  I think the police will be getting involved soon from what I have been told.  Also today I went into this guys old room with the owner and he had left all his possessions behind including the computer I loaned to him.  I swapped the computer for an identical one and will pass over the one I took for the police to look at.

Another man here has told me several times that he killed someone in Belgium by slitting their throat and that is why he came to Luxembourg to escape any enquiries.  I have passed this information onto the police also and they said there was nothing they could do and asked me to try and get some more information from him.  I draw the line there as that is not my responsibility.

Yes I have seen some pretty nasty people and they are definitely on the bottom rung so to speak. I have endured/witnessed some behaviour that defies belief and makes you wonder about the world we live in.

The Naked Scientist has in a way become a lifeline to my sanity at the moment and if it was not for family and friends with whom I frequently speak with I would have lost my marbles months ago. 

I am a very open person and far to honest but I cannot tell anymore   [:-'(]

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08/01/2011 05:49:36 »
Okay.

First of all, it's not your responsibility to save the world.
And you don't need to take it upon yourself, people are just people.
It's a hard life for many and it makes them behave in certain ways. Then you have those that really need something else than just a shelter. And if the police don't care, then thats a sign reflecting on society at large I would say. But it's the same most everywhere I'm afraid. Still, you're trying to do something worthwhile, not that many that tries that :) Not if they can't make a buck from it.

But be careful, and if you feel a threat trust to your instincts. It's easy getting 'situation blind' when you've worked in environment involving threats. You get used to them, here's a song for you, and remember, it's not all 'blackness'. There must be good things happening too, even though few between as you feel now, sometimes it just feels that way, but it will get better. :)

Spanish.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08/01/2011 05:56:22 »
I'm not sure if this is in any way true, but I suspect we may have created a world so complex that an ever greater percentage of the population can't really relate to it meaningfully, so they just sort of float along on the margins. To some extent, that was probably true in the past, but I think the effect is increasing.

Mrs G provides healthcare services to several assisted living facilities, and I can't help thinking that, in former times, a great many of the residents in these facilities would have been much more integrated into society than they currently are. On the other hand, many of the enormous "lock 'em away and throw away the keys" institutions have been abolished, so perhaps the situation is actually better than it was in the past.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08/01/2011 06:07:39 »
The 'village fool' sort of :) They still exist, and are a part of community outside the cities I think. At least at some places :)
Sometimes I despair too, and I know what you mean, we have locked away common decency and humanity and replaced it with 'health care' facilities :) making dough, and magazines telling you what to do. All stupidity, many of those feeling really down just need some friends to get better.

It's a strange way of living
==

Not Mrs.G Geezer :)

I'm thinking of those impersonal facilities where you get 'streamlined' into 'fitting in'.
==

But you're right, we've made changes to the better too.
So, thinking of it, we're hopefully on the right track.
« Last Edit: 08/01/2011 07:01:42 by yor_on »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08/01/2011 06:20:15 »
Not Mrs.G Geezer :)

I'm thinking of those impersonal facilities where you get 'streamlined' into 'fitting in'.

Oh no! Not these ones - they never want to leave.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08/01/2011 06:53:26 »
I do this voluntarily! My opinion is that society seems to thrive on division. This is encouraged by the press and our governments.  It goes all the way from north south divides in countries to the so called rivalry in football.  This secular society we seem to live in seems to encourage people to hate other people for reasons that are really quite hard to justify. This then seems to lead to anti human behaviour!  Of course also there are people who have genuine mental problems and these problems seem exaggerated in those cases.  Religion is another form of segregation throughout the world. 
It has always been in my nature to help people, I can't seem to help it, I get drawn in and it breaks my heart to see people suffer at the hands of others.

I am very self concious that I have become used to this threatening environment and somewhat numbed to the real dangers that doing this job involves.  I have fitted bolts on my door and always lock my bedroom at night.  However this does not remove the threat of day to day activities.

I sit here everyday and watch the world degenerate around me and listen to people in power justify it all.  Don't watch TV any more as that just seems a way of distracting people from the real issues and I get so frustrated with it.

There is something terribly wrong with the fabric of our society and I really am ashamed to call myself human.

Thanks for the song yor_on, I haven't heard it before and it's a good one.

« Last Edit: 08/01/2011 07:11:39 by Airthumbs »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08/01/2011 07:07:27 »
Well, you need a break. Can you take some sort of 'time out'?
There is one truth as a friend told me once "Nobody is irreplaceable"
That can be hard on the ego, but it's the truth.

None are.

And you need to get away from there.
Get some fresh air and a little hope back I think.
It happens, this kind of things happens, look around, inform them that you need a time out and see what they can offer you. Hopefully they will understand.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh here, but I think it's what you need.
After a while, being away, you might want to get back, or you won't.
Either way it's going to be your truth, just like your instincts.
Go with them.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08/01/2011 07:14:07 »
I know I need a break, I will be going back to the UK in mid February.  I am not cut out for this kind of work, I prefer to be working with nature  ;D

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08/01/2011 07:19:23 »
Good on you :) and be careful in the mean time, and keep bugging the police if you get more threats. They are there to help.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #20 on: 08/01/2011 07:19:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums