The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: DIARY ENTRIES & GENERAL CHAT !!!!!!! Will you join in?(VER 10)?  (Read 34668 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Dear Diary..

Its been too long since someone has entered in the Diary thread, so I have locked the 85 page version 9, and started this new one. Please help me to make Neil's old thread as lively and fun as all the previous ones.. Lets Start again and bring back some good cheer and catch up and get to know each other as we post in all the threads of this lovely science forum.

Well I am still here and trying to get back into gear with posting and reading and enjoying life and friends. I have been very ill and am wanting to dwell on good things and funny humor that our fellow posters have while posting both science and chat posts! Lets have some fun!

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm not sure of the required format...

I have just been to the International Boat Show in London. Boats and bits of all kinds. Some of the boats are so expensive even international football players (US or UK types) couldn't afford them.

I bought some wellies :-)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Giles produced some great cartoons about the London Boat Show. Here is one example.

http://www.gilescartoons.co.uk/cartoon.asp?cartoon=380

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
I have been painting my lounge. Last wall finished in a mocha chocolate colour.

I looked in the mirror and I appear to have lots of freckles.... damned roller!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
damned roller!

I hope it was, and not something you picked up at work.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Cleaned room three today and changed the guy in room seven with room one to get him away from stinky.  Been trying to fix the signals for the satellites again as someone seems to be a satellite terrorist in the house, I think they like to see me at the top of a tall ladder all the time!

Noticed lots of mice holes in the garden outside stinky's room, wouldn't mind doing a mark and recapture population estimation on them just for the hell of it.

Put up a mirror in room 18.   Noticed now that there is a light bulb covered by a protective shield to prevent it from being stolen, in the toilet downstairs, every week that stinky doesn't use it any more and wee's outside judging by all the yellow stains in the melting snow which have appeared since installing the new light fitting!

Helped the guy in room one with some first aid when he cut his hand severely on some broken glass and was bleeding everywhere! 

Spoke to an old friend currently in South Korea on Skype for the first time in years.

Tried to get into room 14 to turn the water off as there is a leak in the laundry room coming from his broken toilet but he has changed the locks on the door without telling myself or the owner, frustrating!

Woke up at 4.30am after having an odd dream about people deliberately provoking me to try and get a reaction!

Sorry KarrenW for being so drab and non fun, im sure I will have a better day tomorrow  ;D
« Last Edit: 10/01/2011 05:25:15 by Airthumbs »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Plucked up the courage to open the American Express statement that came in over a week ago. I was concerned because I usually don't get anything from them in the mail. I found this to be a bit ominous, so I decided it would benefit from a bit of ageing.

Good news! Despite what it said on the envelope, it wasn't really a statement at all. It was just one of those annoying notices about privacy that nobody ever takes the time to read.

Bad news! On further inspection, I discovered it wasn't addressed to me at all. It was for some other guy down the road that I've never heard of.

Now what do I do with the flaming thing? Tape up the (very badly damaged) envelope, write "Ooops - sorry!" on it, and stick it back in the mail, which is probably a total waste of time because the recipient will immediately chuck it in the trash when he realizes what it is, or, stick the thing in the shredder (almost certainly a Federal offense) and pretend like none of this ever happened?

Having made this rather public, I think I better go with option A. 

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Geezer. An even better option would be to tell the postman about his incorrect delivery of mail to your address and tell him you opened the mail by mistake.  You could then take the letter yourself to the person down the road and give it to them personally and explain exactly what you said in your post.  I am sure they will understand although having said that they also might pull out a gun and blow your head off, who knows  ;D  Yep I would go with Option A  ;D

Just drinking my first cup of tea in 2011, as an Englishman I am somewhat  [:I]
« Last Edit: 10/01/2011 07:13:12 by Airthumbs »

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Dear Diary

Today, I waited while some bacteria took 6 hrs to grow. During that time I :-

-rearranged my bench, twice
-cleaned my bench after rearranging it, so I had to rearrange it again.
-went to the media room and stocked up with spare everything, whether I need it or not.
-played 'see how far you can eject the pipette tip off the end'
-made a long, thin plastic bag into a sock puppet, with the aid of some stickers.
-made two empty ice buckets into bongos and played a tune
-bugged everyone else in my lab who was trying to work
-bugged anyone outside my lab that, including the electricians working in the hallway.

So if anyone every wonders why scientists take so long to discover things, that is why :)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
We turned on the TV to watch the news this morning and it promptly quit working. Then it started working, then it quit again. What was really annoying was that the only periods when it was working seemed to be perfectly synchronized with the frequent commercials. This is the second time this has happened in a week.

As if that's not bad enough, the internet also comes via cable and, so does the blinking phone. Consequently, it's extremely difficult to contact the cable company to report the fault. You might well ask why I didn't use my cell phone. I can't. We don't have coverage where we live!

I was just coming to terms with this latest effrontery when I heard screaming in the kitchen. Mrs G had just detected that there was no water coming out of the taps! So I had to get out of bed, put on a lot of clothes (it was really cold last night) and trudge through the snow to the community well to fire up the generator. Turns out a transformer on a utility pole had conked out.

Mind you, it could have been worse. One of our neighbors gets power (or, more accurately wasn't getting power) from the offending transformer. His pipes froze, so even if the water pump had been running, he wasn't going to get any. And, to crown it all, he went out to his truck to go to work and one of the tires was as flat as a tack.
« Last Edit: 11/01/2011 03:20:04 by Geezer »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
DIARY ENTRIES & GENERAL CHAT !!!!!!! Will you join in?(VER 10)?
« Reply #10 on: 12/01/2011 12:36:24 »
I'm not sure of the required format...

I have just been to the International Boat Show in London. Boats and bits of all kinds. Some of the boats are so expensive even international football players (US or UK types) couldn't afford them.

I bought some wellies :-)
I would have loved to see that.. I always wanted to buy a big houseboat and live on the water in retirement! Were they not just lovely.. They were sport boats eh?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12/01/2011 12:39:22 »
I have been painting my lounge. Last wall finished in a mocha chocolate colour.

I looked in the mirror and I appear to have lots of freckles.... damned roller!

Thats a big Job You need some extra work... My living room and Hallway need a good going over! LOL...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12/01/2011 12:47:53 »
Cleaned room three today and changed the guy in room seven with room one to get him away from stinky.  Been trying to fix the signals for the satellites again as someone seems to be a satellite terrorist in the house, I think they like to see me at the top of a tall ladder all the time!

Noticed lots of mice holes in the garden outside stinky's room, wouldn't mind doing a mark and recapture population estimation on them just for the hell of it.

Put up a mirror in room 18.   Noticed now that there is a light bulb covered by a protective shield to prevent it from being stolen, in the toilet downstairs, every week that stinky doesn't use it any more and wee's outside judging by all the yellow stains in the melting snow which have appeared since installing the new light fitting!

Helped the guy in room one with some first aid when he cut his hand severely on some broken glass and was bleeding everywhere! 

Spoke to an old friend currently in South Korea on Skype for the first time in years.

Tried to get into room 14 to turn the water off as there is a leak in the laundry room coming from his broken toilet but he has changed the locks on the door without telling myself or the owner, frustrating!

Woke up at 4.30am after having an odd dream about people deliberately provoking me to try and get a reaction!

Sorry Karen W for being so drab and non fun, im sure I will have a better day tomorrow  ;D

You were not drab.. It sounds like you did a lot today and that is great! Thats even if you could not gain entry to the one room. LOL..I always feel a sense of accomplishment if I have even made my bed and done the dishes these days.... Its not an easy chore at this point in my health.. and I so appreciate good days where I can do the simplest of things....

Hoping tomorrow brings you something fun..like speaking to your old friend.. that always makes my day..LOL week or month... talking with my best friend...
Thanks for posting..

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12/01/2011 12:53:57 »
Plucked up the courage to open the American Express statement that came in over a week ago. I was concerned because I usually don't get anything from them in the mail. I found this to be a bit ominous, so I decided it would benefit from a bit of ageing.

Good news! Despite what it said on the envelope, it wasn't really a statement at all. It was just one of those annoying notices about privacy that nobody ever takes the time to read.

Bad news! On further inspection, I discovered it wasn't addressed to me at all. It was for some other guy down the road that I've never heard of.

Now what do I do with the flaming thing? Tape up the (very badly damaged) envelope, write "Ooops - sorry!" on it, and stick it back in the mail, which is probably a total waste of time because the recipient will immediately chuck it in the trash when he realizes what it is, or, stick the thing in the shredder (almost certainly a Federal offense) and pretend like none of this ever happened?

Having made this rather public, I think I better go with option A. 

Yep go with the A and let the mail carrier know what happened so they can redeliver with an apology to the owner.. After all the postal carriers are responsible for delivering the mail to the proper boxes.. it really was not your fault.. I have done the same thing on many occasions and its usually the same neighbor.. Now I look real good and if they get mail here I redeliver it to them in person...So They know me well and know  That if it comes to me by carrier mistake It will be safe a delivered immediately by hand..

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12/01/2011 13:00:45 »
Geezer. An even better option would be to tell the postman about his incorrect delivery of mail to your address and tell him you opened the mail by mistake.  You could then take the letter yourself to the person down the road and give it to them personally and explain exactly what you said in your post.  I am sure they will understand although having said that they also might pull out a gun and blow your head off, who knows  ;D  Yep I would go with Option A  ;D

Just drinking my first cup of tea in 2011, as an Englishman I am somewhat  [:I]

No need for embarrassment even so! I have not had tea for weeks .. That sounds good this am...

I do however have a toothache and have not had one of those for years... need to go see the dentist...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12/01/2011 13:02:24 »
Dear Diary

Today, I waited while some bacteria took 6 hrs to grow. During that time I :-

-rearranged my bench, twice
-cleaned my bench after rearranging it, so I had to rearrange it again.
-went to the media room and stocked up with spare everything, whether I need it or not.
-played 'see how far you can eject the pipette tip off the end'
-made a long, thin plastic bag into a sock puppet, with the aid of some stickers.
-made two empty ice buckets into bongos and played a tune
-bugged everyone else in my lab who was trying to work
-bugged anyone outside my lab that, including the electricians working in the hallway.

So if anyone every wonders why scientists take so long to discover things, that is why :)

Hope the day ended well and your results went as they should have.. meaning every thing grew or didn't grow as hoped either way! LOL

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12/01/2011 13:05:34 »
We turned on the TV to watch the news this morning and it promptly quit working. Then it started working, then it quit again. What was really
We turned on the TV to watch the news this morning and it promptly quit working. Then it started working, then it quit again. What was really annoying was that the only periods when it was working seemed to be perfectly synchronized with the frequent commercials. This is the second time this has happened in a week.

As if that's not bad enough, the internet also comes via cable and, so does the blinking phone. Consequently, it's extremely difficult to contact the cable company to report the fault. You might well ask why I didn't use my cell phone. I can't. We don't have coverage where we live!

I was just coming to terms with this latest effrontery when I heard screaming in the kitchen. Mrs G had just detected that there was no water coming out of the taps! So I had to get out of bed, put on a lot of clothes (it was really cold last night) and trudge through the snow to the community well to fire up the generator. Turns out a transformer on a utility pole had conked out.

Mind you, it could have been worse. One of our neighbors gets power (or, more accurately wasn't getting power) from the offending transformer. His pipes froze, so even if the water pump had been running, he wasn't going to get any. And, to crown it all, he went out to his truck to go to work and one of the tires was as flat as a tack.
was that the only periods when it was working seemed to be perfectly synchronized with the frequent commercials. This is the second time this has happened in a week.

What a day yesterday! Sounds dreary and a mess like mine.. Hoping You have a warmer night at least inside and all straightens up and decides to work properly! :-)

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12/01/2011 15:51:22 »
Hope the day ended well and your results went as they should have.. meaning every thing grew or didn't grow as hoped either way! LOL

Funnily enough it all went very bizarre.

Expt 1- complete opposite result of what was expected. :-\

Expt 2-didn't grow at all, nor did the controls  ::)

Expt 3-What the hell happened there?!!!!!  ??? Actually I know what happened, my spec machine was giving false readings, meaning I have way way more colonies growing than I had tried for.
At least my supervisor agrees we need a knew spec machine now!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13/01/2011 16:42:17 »
LOL..All those hours for it to all go buggy..LOL.. I hope budgets there will allow for new equipment for you students.. Good luck next time...

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13/01/2011 17:00:52 »
Tuesday: Sat in Court in connection with taking someone to court for disturbing some limestone pavement.
Wednesday: Got annoyed by how long it takes the "media team" to make a press release I have already written from them; started filing paperwork associated with the case.
Thursday: finished filing the paperwork generated; note to self: do it as you are going along!
Still waiting for the ******* ***** ********** ** ***** ************ **** **** media team to send out the press release
Tomorrow: never comes nor does the paperless office...

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13/01/2011 18:35:21 »
Thursday: finished filing the paperwork generated; note to self: do it as you are going along!

If you find a way of actually sticking to this could you tell me please.  I cannot count how many times I have resolved to do this. 

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13/01/2011 22:18:30 »

If you find a way of actually sticking to this could you tell me please.  I cannot count how many times I have resolved to do this. 

Of course, you could always try the old "box" method.

Obtain a box, or several boxes, of reasonable proportions. "File" everything into the box when you think it no longer needs to be on your desk. Once a year, or when you run out of boxes, go through the contents of the box starting from the oldest material and decide if any of it is worth keeping.

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14/01/2011 16:52:42 »
working for local governement means that the box of reasonable proportions would need to be in the order of a cubic metre or so...

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14/01/2011 17:23:45 »
We had to move to a new building because our version of the 'old box method' was the spare offices method.  When we moved we chucked about 25% of the total paperwork and assorted rubbish we were hanging on to - 2 years later not one ill effect.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14/01/2011 20:05:37 »
We had to move to a new building because our version of the 'old box method' was the spare offices method.  When we moved we chucked about 25% of the total paperwork and assorted rubbish we were hanging on to - 2 years later not one ill effect.

Hehehe! That's what I always found, only in my case, about 90% of the stuff was not in the least relevant after a year. Not only that, but as most of the documents had been created and transmtted electronically, there were probably about fifty other copies floating around on our intranet, in peoples laptops, etc. I figured that we could reduce our electronic storage space requirements by at least 90% (probably a lot more) simply by eliminating redundant copies of everything. However, as we were in the business of selling electronic storage equipment, that might have been frowned upon  :D

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 14/01/2011 20:05:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length