The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why am I hooked on my TV?  (Read 1440 times)

Offline CrisPis

• First timers
    • View Profile
Why am I hooked on my TV?
« on: 12/01/2011 13:30:02 »
Cristina asked the Naked Scientists:

I'd like to know what makes someone get addicted to certain TV shows so that they have to watch several episodes in one day?

In my case, I am hooked to 'Fringe' and can't seem to watch just one episode.

Is there a reason for this?

Thank you,

Cristina

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 12/01/2011 13:30:02 by _system »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12/01/2011 14:24:28 »
Hi Cristina. You are not alone in this. Given the opportunity, many people would do something similar. I would not worry unless it becomes an obsession that prevents you properly prioritising your life.

Many TV series are arranged so that there is a complete story in one episode but also have a background story which continues from one episode to the next. This keeps you hooked and wanting to find out what happens. If you catch up with the series and watch as they are released on TV, you won't have a choice but to wait until the next week!

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/01/2011 14:29:41 »
Watching TV produces a release of endorphins in the brain.  Endorphins can be highly addictive.  It is my belief that this can put you into a very suggestive state. So many times I have observed people watching TV in groups and it really does look like they have all been hypnotised.  If you try and talk to someone in this state they will appear anxious to return to glaring at the TV as soon as possible and seem to only half register what you say to them.

Your supposed addiction to a certain programme is probably caused by the emotions you feel when watching that programme.  Some of these emotions will induce a mood that you find comfortable and want to return too.

These emotions, concious or subconscious, added to the release of addictive chemicals in your body would be my guess as to why your addicted to these programmes.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 13/01/2011 10:04:31 »
Cristina asked the Naked Scientists:

I'd like to know what makes someone get addicted to certain TV shows

Considering the the utter tripe which is broadcast most of the time, I'll be damned if I know.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 13/01/2011 10:04:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums