The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are enormous flame tornadoes possible?  (Read 1018 times)

Marc Humpert

Are enormous flame tornadoes possible?
« on: 12/01/2011 13:30:04 »
Marc Humpert  asked the Naked Scientists:
Hello Dr.  Smith,

I recently saw your video "Flame Tornado - A Spinning Column Of Fire" and truly enjoyed it, thank you!

I have been developing a story that I would like to turn into an animation, and it involves a section where sky pirates fly their airships past a massive column of flame spiraling into the sky. The story is obviously fantasy, but I was wondering if there is any theoretical truth to this idea.

The column of flame is imagined to have a diameter of 320 meters, be fed by a series of outgassings from massive fissures. Is this scale even possible and is the outgassing source possible? How turbulent would the air around the column be for an airship flying by and how close could you get before the heat became unbearable?

These are the questions I'm looking to answer to heighten the level of believability.

I appreciate your taking the time to read this inquiry, and I hope to hear back from you soon.

Marc Humpert

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 12/01/2011 13:30:04 by _system »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12/01/2011 14:33:02 »
During WWII this question was studied by 'scientist' to facilitate the burning to death of the inhabitants of German and Japanese cities, a degree of success was achieved.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 12/01/2011 14:33:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums