The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: calling all Geologists - feedback request  (Read 2366 times)

Offline rich99ard

• First timers
    • View Profile
calling all Geologists - feedback request
« on: 13/01/2011 18:26:44 »
Hi,

I work in the oilfield as an mwd/lwd consultant (over 16yrs) and am new to the boards.

A partner and I are developing a useful app for viewing logs via LAS files for the iphone, itouch and/or ipad. It is almost ready and I am on the hunt for ideas/requests/feedback.

If you have a moment, here is a link showing it's attributes etc

newbielink:http://www.geoplotapp.com/ [nonactive]

I appreciate all comments and suggestions  :)

Regards,

Rich W

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13/01/2011 23:46:45 »
Hopefully you're not planning on doing a "Hit&Run" on this site.

I'm having troubles following your plots because there are no legends...  although, of course, legends take up valuable space on the screen of a very small device.

I assume each application is somewhat different. 

At one job where I was at, the geologists were primarily concerned with bore holes...  While composition feedback would be useful in an e-mail...  one of their mobile tasks was to describe the bore holes...   color, type of dirt, etc...  at each layer.

Then the question is whether a phone, or an iPad like device would be the correct application as the phone is awfully small.

Offline rich99ard

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/01/2011 20:08:21 »
Hi Clifford,

No plans on running.  Glad I came across this site - lots of good stuff here  :)

The app actually does have legends they aren't shown on the website - thanks for pointing this out

This is actually an all in one application in which you can 'load' and save different LAS files, create and view plots. (also email a pdf of the plot if you need). 
The plots you create and configure are saved in a database 

I agree the size limitations for plotting etc.  The main need for this app to fill lies in communicating logged data between parties no matter where you are. 

LAS files are loaded via email or Itunes (email being the most practical) then a plot is created with a couple taps and if needed the plot can be emailed with annotations etc

hope I make sense.  just finished driving 12 hrs out to an oil rig.  I need coffee!

« Last Edit: 14/01/2011 20:10:51 by rich99ard »

Offline rich99ard

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/01/2011 20:26:51 »
re-read your post- regarding looking at different formations, there is an option to highlight and annotate sections of the log

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 14/01/2011 20:26:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums