The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: QotW - 11.01.23 - If light is massless, how does it bend due to gravity?  (Read 26484 times)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
If you won't agree with me that distance is a discussable concept then show me where and how it can't be disputed please. To me it seems as if both particles and space builds on the same concept, 'distance'. Then we have some things that seems to make it without. Light.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
When light bends to gravity then that's because it plays by the 'rules'. The 'rules' we have state that everything obeys 'gravity'. Space and matter seems very alike in that they both contain this property, 'distance'. Then we have some things that don't. Light is what comes to my mind then. Particles are also defined by their need to take up a '3D-room' wherever they are, sort of reserving a 'space'. That's also why we expect them to be there tomorrow. Light on the other side just 'is'. That you can find it everywhere tells you nothing about a speed or a 'distance'. Light only exist in a interaction, that we use our ideas of a '3D room geometry in times arrow' to measure a 'speed' is a direct result from where we live. No guarantee of this being anything else than a defect in something else, getting 'locally' (SpaceTime) some very weird properties enabling linearity inside non-linearity inside linearity inside ...

I prefer looking at light speed in a vacuum as a constant nowadays. Not that makes it any more understandable, just that light do some very weird things that? I don't know, I think of it as a 'constant'. And those 'Constants' is what we need to find.

Offline spook1456

• we all like science do we not?
    • View Profile
light does not bend (but it still can be considered as bending) the space and time around light is bended making it seem like light is bending hence light is bending and not bending at the same time

Offline granpa

• View Profile
even if light were not affected by gravity it would still bend due to gravitational time dilation.

David

None
« Reply #29 on: 12/07/2014 17:27:06 »
My understanding is that about 10 years ago the weight of photons was measured. My other question is; is the fourth dimension dark matter?

The Naked Scientists Forum

None
« Reply #29 on: 12/07/2014 17:27:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length