The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The Sun is on fire !!..could we put it out ?  (Read 3926 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
The Sun is on fire !!..could we put it out ?
« on: 27/02/2006 16:54:56 »
Silly Star related question Number 47 in a series of 876 Star related questions.

1:Is it at all feasible that if we had the ability and the resources that we could put the sun out with water ?

2 : Or is the nuclear process unstoppable ?

3: Say there was an ocean big enough to contain the sun..would that work ?

4 : Could we add dimming switch controls so that we could then turn the sun down for romantic planetary wooing pleasure ?

5: Ignore question 4 it's silly and wrong.

(note to self: You really need to get a life !)

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!
« Last Edit: 27/02/2006 16:56:28 by neilep »

another_someone

Re: The Sun is on fire !!..could we put it out ?
« Reply #1 on: 27/02/2006 17:56:29 »
Water puts out fires by two mechanisms.

The more important is that it separates the fuel from oxygen.  Since the Sun is a nuclear reaction, so it does not require oxygen to burn, and so the mechanism would not work.

The second action is that by boiling away it will draw heat away from the fire, and thus cool it to below its ignition temperature.  This might work for the Sun, but you'd need a lot of water to draw away the huge amounts of energy in the sun (several times the size of the Sun itself -maybe someone would want to do the maths, and work out how many noughts to put at the end of the number a little like the question about putting chemical explosive to spruce up an atom bomb you'd need an awful lot to make a perceptible difference).  Ofcourse, it will not only biol the water, but will convert it to plasma, but all the better to draw heat away from the Sun.

The other problem is how would you get the water close enough to the fusion reaction deep within the Sun in order to quench the fire at source.  The Sun is blasting out a hypersonic stream of exhaust gas, so just imagine trying to pour water straight down the nozzle of an ultra powerful rocket engine the water would be blasted straight back out long before it ever got near the core of the engine.

What would you be left with once you have done this.  It is the heat of the Sun that stops it from imploding under its own gravitational force, so you take away that heat, and the Sun will implode in on itself.  Given that you have also added all this extra mass of water over and above the ordinary mass of the Sun, that would almost certainly be enough mass to cause the Sun to implode into a black hole.

George
« Last Edit: 27/02/2006 18:28:34 by another_someone »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/02/2006 18:41:42 »
Thank you very much George.

...and there I was stuffing our freezer in a futile attempt to make a very big ice cube !! I don't think I'll bother now !

..assuming there was not enough water to completely engulf the sun and quench the reactions in the middle I just assumed that the sun would just continue to ' kick-start ' itself every time it was dampened by the massive hose theory !!

Thanks again.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/02/2006 20:32:47 »
Can you stop nuclear fission with water? Wouldn't the physics going on in the sun separate the hydrogen & oxygen thus gaining itself more fuel?

Offline Mystericon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28/02/2006 20:40:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

5: Ignore question 4 it's silly and wrong.

This isn't even a question! Liar!

The only way we could put out the sun is by siphoning it's fuel to use in our cars :) But wont the fuel already be on fire? *BOOM* Too late >.>

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/03/2006 11:55:35 »
You're right it's not a question Mystericon, you caught me out you scallyway you !!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/03/2006 14:25:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mystericon

The only way we could put out the sun is by siphoning it's fuel to use in our cars :) But wont the fuel already be on fire? *BOOM* Too late >.>

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Someone didn't pay attention in English class, did they!
The English spelling is "Syphoning"(I note you have specified U.K. as your location, so I'm assuming you're not American). When using the genetive case of the word "it", there is no apostrophe. "Won't", on the other hand, DOES have 1. [:o)]
« Last Edit: 01/03/2006 14:26:43 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: 01/03/2006 15:50:32 »
The only real ways to stop the sun would be to either reduce it's temperature, or it's density to one below that needed to make the nuclear fusion self sustaining. The problem with reducing the temperature is that being made of gas the thing that stops it collapsing is it's temperature, so if you cooled it down, it would collapse under gravity, and this compression would heat it back up - think bicycle pumps (I think this is how the rate of burning on the sun is regulated: too hot -> expand -> slow down reaction -> cool down -> shrink -> heat up etc.). This brings us back to reducing the density, which would work - essentially if you blew the sun up, it would stop burning... but probably wouldn't be the sun any more I don't know if that answers your question.

I think adding loads of water to it, would probably heat it up as you would give it more fuel, and add more mass so cause the sun to compress and heat up, so I don't think you could put it out using water.

Offline Ray hinton

• View Profile
    • http://uk.geocities.com/rayhinton56@btinternet.com/photopagetan.html
« Reply #8 on: 01/03/2006 16:06:23 »
Neil
I have a pair of boots for use in a foundry,if your size 9 you can borrow them and stamp it out,thus eliminating the need to deplete our oceans,and making dolfins and whales homeless.
ive downloaded google tool bar,containing spell checker,pity they dont do grammar checker !!!

its the drugs,y-know.
« Last Edit: 01/03/2006 16:07:20 by Ray hinton »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01/03/2006 18:18:28 »
Thanks Ray

if you could send the boots to :

Neil Withdrawnmist
Sun Putter-Outer
PO Box 93000000
Somewhere Between Venus & the Sun
SUN OUT

I'd be most grateful.

Offline Mystericon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01/03/2006 19:03:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

quote:
Originally posted by Mystericon

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Someone didn't pay attention in English class, did they!
The English spelling is "Syphoning"(I note you have specified U.K. as your location, so I'm assuming you're not American). When using the genetive case of the word "it", there is no apostrophe. "Won't", on the other hand, DOES have 1. [:o)]

Awww I thought this was a science forum now its turned into english to mock my bad spelling :( It's a good job I'm only 16 otherwise I'd be embarrased...

P.S For the record... No I don't pay attention :D

"Oh yeah, I didn't think of that" - My Physics teacher

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 01/03/2006 19:03:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums