The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Will we ever be able to download human brain data?  (Read 5715 times)

Javadi, Shabnam

Javadi, Shabnam asked the Naked Scientists:
   Hi,

I have some questions regarding the brain.

I am wondering do we have the technology to download a human/animal brain data? If yes, to what level?  

I think the answer is no, so how close are we to getting that, would it happen in my lifetime?

Would I have to amend something to my will with respect to this? ! :p :) 

Please let me know if you had a program that covered these kind of issues and if you never had one, as a suggestion would you?

Thanks a lot and love your programme

Shabnam

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 19/01/2011 16:30:08 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Will we ever be able to download human brain data?
« Reply #1 on: 19/01/2011 19:30:46 »
Such a function will not happen any time soon. 

Your brain is a complex network of neural connections, which can be dynamically updated, or enhanced.  Downloading the brain, then would have to be an ability to trace out every connection, as well as assigning the proper weights to each connection.  And, even then you wouldn't have as much access to the individual memories as you would have the structure they're stored in.  And, of course, you would need a computer capable of processing all the data.  Can you wait a century or two?  Perhaps elect to have cryopreservation and be downloaded later?

There is work on repairs for trauma victims, and direct muscle stimulation, for example.  A cochlear Implant in a sense is a type of direct neural interface.  But, those types of connections are still very limited in scope.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 20/01/2011 14:43:51 »
I think it would take a mommouth sized hard drive to store all the information held in a human brain. Just imagine the programming for the simple task of sitting down.

When it comes to an old git, like me, there would be a lot of memories to store. On the upside, you wouldn't need much space to download my acquired knowledge though!

Offline Shabnam

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/01/2011 18:43:16 »
Would it be a matter of size though? I think there are mamouth size HD's out there, so would they be able to down load any portion of our brain information?
Would brain data be also in bites? can it interact with a computer?  ???
Maybe we should start using our own brain as a powerfull CPU!!  [O8)]
So we cant even download info from an ant's brain!!  [xx(]

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26/01/2011 07:20:15 »
So far we are still working on modelling the brain of a nematode. We might work our way up to an ant later.
http://ims.dse.ibaraki.ac.jp/research/C_elegans_en.html

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 26/01/2011 07:20:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums